A Good Price for Good Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Good Price for Good Gaming

Hey, I'm in the process of uilding a new computer. I have everything needed except a video card. I was wonder if any of you knew of some low price video cards that will run BF2 and last a while. Sadly I have recently seen one of my friends video cards fail on the run, and he has to buy a new one, I don't want this to happen! If you have any info that might help me, please share.

~Thanks, Cpt. Ford

Re: A Good Price for Good Gaming

Post up the rest of the parts you already have, as well as your budget for a video card, and we'll see what we can come up with.

Comment

My CPU is a Barton 2600+ @ 1.9 GHz 512Kb L2 cache, my mother board is a Abit K7V w/onboard Lan/sound, AGP, 2X SATA with a ThermalTake Silent Tower, 4X512 Generic DDR400 PC32000 for RAM, 500W dual fan w/28A on 12v. I have all of this but don't have much idea how good any of it is. The budget limit for the video card is $200. And help would be nice, And tell me if I need to upgrade anything.

~Cpt. Ford

Comment

I reccomend a 6600gt or a 6800nu.

Comment

6600GT runs BF2 fine.

You might find some deals on discontinued X800 agp cards...

Comment

I would recommend the 6600GT and using the leftover to get a soundcard. I have the Audigy 2 Value. It provides great sound and it relieves the CPU somewhat. Given that you have a pretty low-end CPU it might help you get a little more out of the system and provide better sound as well.

Comment

Thread moved to Hardware forum.

Comment

You could also look into the ATI camp. I'd suggest a 9800XT which can be had for around $170 from www.newegg.com. The Nvidia 6600GT is a good choice too.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, I can get a 9200 for $30 but I'm not really sure if that is a good value? As for the sound my mother board has on board 3.1 surrond sound not the best but I'm thinking it will do me for now.

Comment

Not to start a flame war...but you can always try and buy a refurbished from ATI...it has a 3 year warranty....or...

I picked up an x800 for about 380 cdn...I don't know if you're close to the border, but you would save a little more with the exchange.

Good luck.

Comment

Go for the 6800nu. It is a great card and you can get the XFX one for under 200 bucks for sure. I have it and I love it

Comment

$380 Cdn is a bit more then I'm willing to spend, and I understand that the fact that I'm from NS, Canada, my version of $200 differs from an American's version of $200. I'm slowly looking into all of these cards to see what best suits me, so thanks for all the help.

~Cpt. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Cpt. Ford
                          Thanks for the suggestions, I can get a 9200 for $30 but I'm not really sure if that is a good value? As for the sound my mother board has on board 3.1 surrond sound not the best but I'm thinking it will do me for now.
                          NO NO NO. Don't get a 9200 series card! In all likelyhood it won't even work. Get atleast a 9600 if money's really tight, or the Nvidia equivalent. Just please for the love of God don't get the 9200!

Comment

Well then...I say wait and buy a better card...otherwise you're throwing good money after bad money. You'll buy a 200 dollar card..and end up scrapping it because you won't get good graphics...

check out here...

Get our Low Price Guarantee, online or in store, on a huge selection of electronics, appliances, furniture, fitness, travel, baby products and more!

Get the x700 if you have an AGP slot. I still say save up more cash for the X800..

If you want my X300...you can have it...but you have to send the courrier...hehe.

Originally posted by Cpt. Ford
                            $380 Cdn is a bit more then I'm willing to spend, and I understand that the fact that I'm from NS, Canada, my version of $200 differs from an American's version of $200. I'm slowly looking into all of these cards to see what best suits me, so thanks for all the help.

~Cpt. Ford

Comment

Working...
                            X