6800 GT or 1 GB of RAM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6800 GT or 1 GB of RAM?

Which one would increase performance most? I asked this on another forum but I received mixed opinions (50/50).

System:
    P4 3.0 GHz
    1 GB DDR RAM @ 160 MHz
    6600 GT

Re: 6800 GT or 1 GB of RAM?

i would probably go for the RAM

Comment

You will get the same mixed opinions here too. A RAM upgrade would be best if done using 2x one MB sticks instead of 4 to keep the timings and speeds up. Moving from your current card to the GT is not enough of a performance jump to justify the rule of doubling the performance or the upgrade is not worth it.

IMO of course.

Comment

if by performance you mean frames per second there is no question, the 6600 GT card will, of course. that said you'll still have to play online with 800x600, all settings on low and probably no audio eax settings, just for playability. i'd wager you could expect to eek out about 60-70 fps with the right settings. your still on the low end performance-wise, but still a good system. btw that looks like very slow memory by todays standard.

Comment

Ottobuck,
          So which do you recommend? My CPU is fine I think, but I'm not sure if it's the 6600 GT that's holding me back or the RAM. As you said it is kinda slow, and other people with 6600 GT + 1 GB claim to play at medium settings smoothly.

Comment

I got the Ram first, was able to increase video settings and the system was more stable, plus it helped with everything I did on the PC. But why only get 1GB or 6800GT? You could get 3GB for the cost of the Nvidia . No matter what BF2 needs a minimum of 1GB of ram, so getting the GFX card won't help with stuttering and poor performance.

Comment

i used to have a 3.2ghz 1 gig of ram fx5900 i upgraded to a 6800gt and realized a large difference. But in my other computer i alos have a 6600 256mb, with this card You shouldent need to upgrade just yet, wait for the 7800gtx price to drop- then get it, for now go with the ram!

Comment

you need to upgrade both, but 160 Mhz ram has got to go. i'd do that fist as Deth suggests.

Comment

Seriously 110% this is what you should do...

Ditch the sticks you have sell them etc, get two 1G sticks 2G total of the fastest memory possible.

OCZ 2-3-2-5, Corsair XMS 2-3-3-6, patriot, or Geil. But be sure the timings are the numerically small ones. Run in dual channel with at least 200fsb.

I have 2G's and it's better than 2X512MB and have tried both. Most people that say 1G is good enough only have 1G.

Wait on the graphics card if need be, graphics cards age quickly. I'd buy ram first graphics second, you processor is enough BF2 doesn't need alot of processor or HD for that matter if you have enough ram.

You won't be able to take advantage of the 6800 unless you have the ram to back it up anyways. Ram first 2G then card once the new ati's come out and the prices drop.

Comment

Originally posted by vjs

You won't be able to take advantage of the 6800 unless you have the ram to back it up anyways. Ram first 2G then card once the new ati's come out and the prices drop.
                    The amount of your RAM will have Zero effect on video card performance. Memory Bandwidth may; but not the amount amount.

Comment

i have a gt 6800 and 1gig of memory (geil) still have to wait a long time for connecting .
                      i would go for the 2gig high balastic ram .
                      thats gonne be my next sale .

Comment

6600 GT ---> 6800 GT is not worth it, such a little step. 2GB RAM is nice, would take that. For the videocard better wait a little and buy a real nice one.

Comment

Originally posted by Shamus
                          The amount of your RAM will have Zero effect on video card performance. Memory Bandwidth may; but not the amount amount.
                          Totally correct!!! But what I was getting at is if you play at med-high with 1G at times you can get stutters.

I was playing at low low low with a 9800 pro 128Mb card and 512 single channel, only way I could get zero lag. Moving to 2G dual channel same timing I'm able to play medium high without a snag or hick-up (Thus far anyways).

His major problem is the 1 GB DDR RAM @ 160 MHz in a 3G P4... he should at least be running 200mhz. If he gets another 2 sticks of 512 he still won't be able to do better than 160 mhz. Dump those sticks and get teh good ram. 2G (2x1024mb) of high end memory will probably transfer to his next system which will probably be a PCIe board.

Comment

ram is most important..cuz u cant have high settings for graphics w/o ram

Comment

Originally posted by vjs
                              Totally correct!!! But what I was getting at is if you play at med-high with 1G at times you can get stutters.

I was playing at low low low with a 9800 pro 128Mb card and 512 single channel, only way I could get zero lag. Moving to 2G dual channel same timing I'm able to play medium high without a snag or hick-up (Thus far anyways).

His major problem is the 1 GB DDR RAM @ 160 MHz in a 3G P4... he should at least be running 200mhz. If he gets another 2 sticks of 512 he still won't be able to do better than 160 mhz. Dump those sticks and get teh good ram. 2G (2x1024mb) of high end memory will probably transfer to his next system which will probably be a PCIe board.
                              Well said and that's a nice catch by you on the 160Mhz. I had missed the fact that he was running (most likely) DDR333.

Comment

Working...
                              X