Speaker Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker Problems

Hi, when i got my Dell it came with 2 regular Dell speakers. But i have my 2 old speakers from a earlier Dell PC purchase. Is their anyway I can use both the pairs of speakers? I tried hooking both up to different green jacks, with different power sources, but to no avail only one pair works, when they are both connected. Any help would be most appreciated.

Secondly when i just got my new X800 Pro, it says that i need a recommended psu of 350. So i have a craptastic Dell 305 PSU. So my question is i have a a old 200 Wat PSU, can i hook that PSU up to the Vid Card(only), so it can feed off that, and not strain the rest of my system. I have ample power outlest so i would imagine it is possible. Any disagree or agree would be helpful. Thank you.

Re: Speaker Problems

Thread moved to Hardware forum.

Comment

The speakers would have to be hooked up to a jack on the same sound device. However they will not be front channels, but rather rear channels.

2ndly, I would assume the 2 power supply thing would work, however you're going to have to mod the **** out of your craptastic Dell case to fit it in there, or to run a wire into the case. And if you do get it inside, then you have to worry about cooling, because Dell has really ****ty cooling on their cases. Usually like 2 fans on their standard cases (at the most).

Comment

The only way to get 4 speakers running without buying a splitter or a new sound card is to splice the wires together. Won't give you surround sound but will do the job, although I wouldnt recommend it personally. A splitter shouldn't cost much.

With the PSU, you say its a crappy old one, I'd check the integrity of the rails if I were you, modern graphics cards can be very fussy if the voltage is out.

Comment

Ok, i would be putting the xtra PSU outside my case and running a wire into the case. Secondly what is a splitter and where could i find it?

Comment

It's just a little component that lets splits your green line out socket into 2 sockets. Basically does the same job as splicing the wires together. Should cost nect to nothing and be available from electrical supplies type shops. If you want surround sound though, you'll have to replace your soundcard.

Comment

Splicing the speaker will also change the Ohm load that the card is seeing. I'd highly recommend you use a soundboard that has outputs for multiple speakers.

Comment

Working...
              X