AMD Athlon 64 FX-57

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Athlon 64 FX-57

Hi everyone, I was just wondering how much the AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 processor would benifit BF2?

Any help much appriciated.

Alot, its the fastest processor out i think.

But also the most expensive.

If you got the money, buy it. But if I was you i would get a x24800. YES right now the fx57 will outperform it, but later on games will take advantage of the dual core?

Im not too sure.

Comment

it won't make any difference at all, as long as your cpu's reasonable then all that matters if your graphics card, ram (amount and speed) and possibly your sound card, all the cpu has to do is keep up with it.

Comment

It depends what you're upgrading from and what graphics card you'll use with it. If you are going to have dual 7800GTX's then you need the fastest CPU you can buy to feed them. If you have just 1 7800GTX then a 3500+ is good enough. All benchmarks show the 4000+ 64 just a very short way behind the FX-57 and it costs a hell of a lot less. You gotta ask is it worth paying more than twice as much for something that's 5% faster. Only a lunatic or a millionaire would say yes.

When it comes to PC bits if money is no object to you then literally go and buy the fastest everything. Money does matter to most people but to varying degrees and this is where the difficult decisions are made over what to buy and is it worth it.

The dual core CPU's are currently not showing great results with games but that's because no game out there has been coded to take advantage of dual core. Unreal Engine 3 games are likely to be the first but how much benefit it will have is yet to be seen. Dual core is mainly meant for heavy multitaskers. People who want to compress an 800MB file with Winrar while editing a video at the same time, that kind of thing. It won't really start to help gamers for at least 18 months and by then it will be time to upgrade again anyway.

If it were me and my money buying a CPU today I'd buy a 3500+ 64 939. It's fast enough to feed 1 7800GTX (which is all you really need) and will run all current games and all upcoming games at top whack. Then in 18 months-2 years I'd buy a dual core CPU (probably be up at 6500+ 7500+ by then) and a dual core graphics card. Not dual cards but dual core. 2 cores on 1 card which will be faster than SLI.

Comment

but if he wants a bigger e-penis then everyone else, he should be the fx57 ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Got3nâ„¢
            but if he wants a bigger e-penis then everyone else, he should be the fx57 ^_^
            I love my e-penis

/strokes it. :|:

Comment

$1,304.99 CAN :shock:

Comment

bah, its not the fastest out there, but it is good... it is great for overclocking... but make sure you get 533MHz DDR SDRAM, i recommend Kingston Hyper X ram, its tha greatest <---opinion---....but i think the AMD dual-core Opteron 1GHz FSB processor is better than the fx-57....stick 2 of these bad boys in a tyan k8we and watch them fly!!!! but this is all just my opinion, and remember, more ram=more fun!!! woooot, smooooth as buttah!

Comment

Originally posted by buglenutsman
                  bah, its not the fastest out there, but it is good... it is great for overclocking... but make sure you get 533MHz DDR SDRAM, i recommend Kingston Hyper X ram, its tha greatest <---opinion---....but i think the AMD dual-core Opteron 1GHz FSB processor is better than the fx-57....stick 2 of these bad boys in a tyan k8we and watch them fly!!!! but this is all just my opinion, and remember, more ram=more fun!!! woooot, smooooth as buttah!
                  I think you will find the FX57 would thrash that in games.

Comment

As I have posted before (and tend to share Chopperkills view on puters) I build people gaming PCs in my spare time. It funds my toys I am currently specing a machine same as the one in my sig for a client. What I plan to do is use my MOBO and Chip and upgrade mine.

I am going to try a SLI set up with two 7800 ocs and a Dual core chip.

Not a matter of epenis envy but I want to push my abilities and ivestigate the SLI set up.

Btw I have customer interested in a crossfire ATI set up (2 850s) I will post as I build.

Comment

Is there a Crossfire board out yet? I'm still waiting on Asus's Crossfire board.

Comment

Originally posted by openheimer
                        As I have posted before (and tend to share Chopperkills view on puters) I build people gaming PCs in my spare time. It funds my toys I am currently specing a machine same as the one in my sig for a client. What I plan to do is use my MOBO and Chip and upgrade mine.

I am going to try a SLI set up with two 7800 ocs and a Dual core chip.

Not a matter of epenis envy but I want to push my abilities and ivestigate the SLI set up.

Btw I have customer interested in a crossfire ATI set up (2 850s) I will post as I build.
                        What do you reckon for 7800GTX SLI openheimer. Dual core or FX? The 7800GTX SLI needs the fastest CPU possible according to what I've heard but I haven't seen any comparisons between the dual cores and a FX for it and I noticed you're plumping for a dual core. Which one by the way?

Comment

This is the combo mobo cpu I have ordered I considered the FX but plumped fot the bigger cache. If it works out that my benches aren't great I can switch and put that x2 chip in another box. Just as a btw I can put a topline gamer together for $2500 to customer that Widow Pc are retailing at$3390 and still make $500-800 for 2 evenings work... beats blowing truckers for gas money.....

I am also working on a xandros server config for bf2 but I'm not devoting the time it needs.

Comment

"beats blowing truckers for gas money" lol nice. :laugh: Sounds like you're talking from past experience there. j/k

That's pretty sweet. Gotta love those AN8's. I think you'll bench pretty good and much better when games start supporting dual core whenver they get round to it and you'll haul ass for multitasking. Dual cores worth it for that alone I suppose. I got my own business and I sell a lot of stuff on ebay. I was thinking about starting selling prebuilt systems as well on there but I live in the UK and have all kinds of tax headaches to think about if I start earning too much and ebay fees would be the cherry on the cake.

Do you make a living out of it and how/where do you sell your stuff?

Comment

waste of money if u ask me. u dont make the games so theres no point. an AMD 64 3800 or 3400 is perfect with enough memory and video card

Comment

Working...
                              X