Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Performance difference from 6800GT to 7800GTX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance difference from 6800GT to 7800GTX?

Will I notice much of a performance/graphical difference going from a 6800GT to a 7800GTX for BF2? I would be using EvGa's upgrade program, so the card would cost me $150. ($200 if I want to KO version, which is slightly OC'ed and has better cooling)

My current specs:

P4 3.6ghz, 2gigs of DDR533 ram, 6800GT, 2x 74gig raptors in RAID 0.

They have the 6800 Ultra, but youll get the idea... the link is to the performance tests on BF2, but at the bottom of the screen if you want, click next or previous to check other tests/games.

Comment

from personal exp, i have had no complaint 16x12 all high settings all AA and AF maxed out, 60+ fps on 64 man servers no problem. But be sure your processor can handle it and you have enough memory.

Comment

That should answer your questions.

Comment

I would personally not invest in a 7800GTX if I already had a 6800GT (which I actually do)
          The 7800GTX is a good card but the 6800GT is still more than enough for anything out there right now. The 7800 GT/GTX chips have 16 ROPs but 20/24 pixel pipelines. These means it can process 20/24 pixels at once but only write 16 to memory, at best, per clock.

Comment

Originally posted by djstubbs

That should answer your questions.
            I find that oc'ed 6600gt does better than the 6800gt. The grafx does not take in to account what a product can do when oc'ed or how much you can oc it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentagon_Man
              I find that oc'ed 6600gt does better than the 6800gt. The grafx does not take in to account what a product can do when oc'ed or how much you can oc it.

No they take into account all factory settings, overclocking your card will reduce the life of it considerably, hense the factory settings for all cards.

Comment

Keep in mind you can also overclock a 6800 gt to ultra speeds.

The 6600 gt could never reach the overall worth of a 6800 gt because even with overclocking you can never reach the number of pipelines that a card has.

And also that picture never mentioned anything about overclocking so why even make the initial comment??

Comment

For $150 I would go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by crashtest
                    Will I notice much of a performance/graphical difference going from a 6800GT to a 7800GTX for BF2? I would be using EvGa's upgrade program, so the card would cost me $150. ($200 if I want to KO version, which is slightly OC'ed and has better cooling)

My current specs:

P4 3.6ghz, 2gigs of DDR533 ram, 6800GT, 2x 74gig raptors in RAID 0.
                    Whoa wait, they have an upgrade program (news to me). Is this just for the pci-e version since the 7800 GTX is pci-e only? I have an evga 6800 GT -- I guess it wouldnt work since my mobo is AGP though. Could you give me a link anyway? Thanks.

EDIT: Scratch that. I did a google search and found the info on evga's website. Unfortunately it has to be within 90 days of the card's purchase to be able to trade it in for a new one. I got my 6800 GT for Christmas. Oh well .

Comment

Originally posted by djstubbs
                      Keep in mind you can also overclock a 6800 gt to ultra speeds.

The 6600 gt could never reach the overall worth of a 6800 gt because even with overclocking you can never reach the number of pipelines that a card has.

And also that picture never mentioned anything about overclocking so why even make the initial comment??
                      Because it (6600gt) oc'ed can play BF 2 with settings max'ed. Though I do concede that the 6800 can do considerably more and future games will require that. I buy video cards with two simply rules in mind based on the fact that processing power will increase 2X about every year.

1. Will it play my current games with all settings maxed. Yes

2. Will it's cost allow me to buy a new video card that follows rule 1. with in the next year. Yes

BTW here is what I'm running.
                      AMD 64 3200 on a gigabite GA-K8NF-9 board
                      GeFORCE 6600gt 256MB (Chaintech)
                      2GB 3200 ram
                      twin Raptor 74GB raid 0 (they kick arse)

So too answer your question, because the 6600gt can and does have the power too be competive with the 6800gt. Top of the line is not always the best for your needs, but is best at depleting you wallet. In this case the 6600gt does the job at less than half the cost for BF2. My opinion is why buy a card now that plays future games when it will be much cost effective to buy it when it is needed.

Sorry this post is tangent to the topic

Comment

Re: Performance difference from 6800GT to 7800GTX?

i know a little bit about computers but i am just wondering what the difference is between agp, pci and what those systems actually are. I also would like to know if it is reccommended to stay with agp or pci if you currently have it. Thanks for the help!!

Comment

Originally posted by NickFas
                          i know a little bit about computers but i am just wondering what the difference is between agp, pci and what those systems actually are. I also would like to know if it is reccommended to stay with agp or pci if you currently have it. Thanks for the help!!
                          Basically the PCI-e Slot is the next generation of AGP slot. AGP has practically reached its limits PCI-E exspands those limits. But currently anything on AGP is just as fast as the PCI-E version so it makes no difference which card you get. The only benifit of PCI-E is future cards will be PCI-E so if you buy a motherboard with that slot you will be able to upgrade your video card later. Also the best card you can buy (7800GTX) is only available as PCI-e.

Comment

Because it (6600gt) oc'ed can play BF 2 with settings max'ed. Though I do concede that the 6800 can do considerably more and future games will require that. I buy video cards with two simply rules in mind based on the fact that processing power will increase 2X about every year.

1. Will it play my current games with all settings maxed. Yes

2. Will it's cost allow me to buy a new video card that follows rule 1. with in the next year. Yes

BTW here is what I'm running.
                            AMD 64 3200 on a gigabite GA-K8NF-9 board
                            GeFORCE 6600gt 256MB (Chaintech)
                            2GB 3200 ram
                            twin Raptor 74GB raid 0 (they kick arse)

So too answer your question, because the 6600gt can and does have the power too be competive with the 6800gt. Top of the line is not always the best for your needs, but is best at depleting you wallet. In this case the 6600gt does the job at less than half the cost for BF2. My opinion is why buy a card now that plays future games when it will be much cost effective to buy it when it is needed.

Sorry this post is tangent to the topic
                            so your telling me you get more fps with ur 6600 then me? id like to see that do you play on 1280x960 with 4xaa and 8xaf? no i didnt think so.

Comment

so would i be able to buy either an agp or pci-e and install it w. no problems or would i have to change the motherboard as well

Comment

Working...
                              X