Best motherboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best motherboard?

Is asus the only company that supports SLi? Which is the top motherboard right now for gaming? What do you think about abit? Also what features seperate the brands?.. i.e. PCiX, chipset, etc.? Thanks!

I only have experience with ASUS boards and absolutely love em. DFI, Abit, and MSI all make good boards. DFI seems to be the line that's equal to ASUS. Each brand has some features that you may or may not use. I don't make decisions by the software package they give you I just like the stability that ASUS has offered. There are a whole slew of SLI supported boards. Asus, Abit, MSI, DFI, Albatron, Foxconn, eVGA, Epox, BioStar.....etc. I'd say if you go with the DFI Lanparty, ASUS A8N, or MSI K8N boards you'll be ok, obvioulsy the SLI versions of these. Checkout Newegg.com go to motherboards. Select Socket 939 and type SLI into the search field below. You'll have about 18 hits.

Comment

Best Mobo for what processor?

Comment

Best mobo for Intel and AMD.

Comment

If you stick with Abit or Asus, then you'll be fine. I used other boards like Epox and Shuttle and had to RMA both of them.

Comment

I just bought a Abit AN8-Sli... added a socket 939 3000+/64..... 2GBRam...and
            a ATI 800XL/256 and finally got a good BF2 rig..

No need for the 2nd video card.. that would be insanely cool though..

Comment

Originally posted by Disturbed
              I just bought a Abit AN8-Sli... added a socket 939 3000+/64..... 2GBRam...and
              a ATI 800XL/256 and finally got a good BF2 rig..

No need for the 2nd video card.. that would be insanely cool though..
              You also just gave up a 13% boost in performance by using an ATI card with an Nvidia chipset....

Right now the Asus AN8-SLi Deluxe is the hottest board on the market. Pretty easy on the wallet, but has a lot to offer. Very stable for OC'ing as well.

As for Intel, I have an Abit AA8-DuraMAX board, and I can't say anything bad about it. It has plenty of features and is rock solid. If only I could say the same for the equipment it is connected to (mainly my processor).

Comment

Re: Best motherboard?

Originally posted by KingOfKhaos
                You also just gave up a 13% boost in performance by using an ATI card with an Nvidia chipset....

Right now the Asus AN8-SLi Deluxe is the hottest board on the market. Pretty easy on the wallet, but has a lot to offer. Very stable for OC'ing as well.

As for Intel, I have an Abit AA8-DuraMAX board, and I can't say anything bad about it. It has plenty of features and is rock solid. If only I could say the same for the equipment it is connected to (mainly my processor).

Hey King,

13 %?

Can you tell me where it is you got this info? And if possible I'd like to read this for myself. You seem pretty sure so I want to be sure as well. I'm also considering upgrading this winter and at the moment I am running an ATI Card with an Nforce 2 Chipset. I'm not against Nvidia ( I actually love their Nforce Chipsets) but I also like ATI and have had no problem running my 9800 Pro on an Nforce 2 MOBO. Now, if I will lose 13% by doing this on my next machine, I'm definitaly going to go Nvidia all the way. Also, what is your opinion on Via Chipsets? Last time I had a Via MOBO (ASUS A7V) I HATED IT!!!! Nothing but problems! It's been awhile since so I'm wondering if things have improved.

Cheers and Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by KingOfKhaos

Hey King,

13 %?

Can you tell me where it is you got this info? And if possible I'd like to read this for myself. You seem pretty sure so I want to be sure as well. I'm also considering upgrading this winter and at the moment I am running an ATI Card with an Nforce 2 Chipset. I'm not against Nvidia ( I actually love their Nforce Chipsets) but I also like ATI and have had no problem running my 9800 Pro on an Nforce 2 MOBO. Now, if I will lose 13% by doing this on my next machine, I'm definitaly going to go Nvidia all the way. Also, what is your opinion on Via Chipsets? Last time I had a Via MOBO (ASUS A7V) I HATED IT!!!! Nothing but problems! It's been awhile since so I'm wondering if things have improved.

Cheers and Thanks

Comment

It is futile to argue. King of Khaos knows all...

Comment

DFI Lanparty SLI DR Is the best Oc'in board out their and preatty stable.

Comment

Originally posted by SHAHEEN
                        DFI Lanparty SLI DR Is the best Oc'in board out their and preatty stable.
                        Yeah, they're stable, but only if you use the exact right psu, ram, etc. Unless you wanna oc, an asus board might be a more hassle free alternative. MSI boards are good too.

Comment

Yah I'm still leaning towards the DFI SLi LanParty. But anyone know about that 1?% loss w/ ATi card in a Nforce chipset mobo?

Comment

I dunno about that % loss but using an ATI card on an SLI board means you will have to completely replace your card when you want to upgrade, rather than just adding a second one if you had an nvidia.

Comment

I do not remember exactly where I read it, I will try to dig it up. It was about 2 months back that I remember reading it, so I'm not sure I will be able to find it. Hopefully so, and if I do, I will post it here.

Also please re-read!! I did not say you lose performance by using ATI cards in an nVidia based board! This is NOT the case. However if you pair the chipset maker with the card maker (nVidia and nVidia in this case) you will see a slight performance increase over that same graphics card in a non-matched board! As I said before I believe it was 13% but don't hold me to that exact figure.

Comment

Working...
                              X