Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just got a joystick...having problems with choppers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just got a joystick...having problems with choppers.

I just got the Logitech Extreme 3d pro joystick mainly for BF2.

I am having a blast flying the planes because the joystick is so much better for them...my only problem is the choppers.

Everytime I try to fly them, I cant land as well, i keep swinging from side to side, and just plainly cant keep it steady.

Any tips, button configs...anything?

Ah, the Chopper... It is sensitive, so be gentile. It took me a while to master it, and now I can hover steady and let my gunner do his job... The trick is to use very shallow movements, and try to keep your speed low untill you get used to it. Use the trottle a LOT! Controll your speed using the throttle, not the angle of your chopper. That's all I can say now, I'll give some more suggestions when I get back home...

Comment

Thanks Republican..great name and sig btw too.

Anyone else?

Comment

I used to fly a helicopter with a joystick. Here was my solution:

Use your keyboard and mouse to fly helicopters, and turn up sensitivity to 10 on mouse settings.
        Use your keyboard and mouse to fly jets when bombing (personal preference) and set the secondary options to use the joystick for you dogfighting. I cannot dogfight at all with the mouse, as I cannot turn fast enough.

Trust me, flying is much easier with KB and mouse in a helicopter. Practice it for 5 minuntes and you will get the hang of it and you will like it.

This improved my piloting skills 100% overnight.

With a joystick I would try to pilot the now famous obstacle course in Kubra Dam. I would always crash. With a mouse and keyboard, I can fly through the tunnel's, and holes in the dam, hover easily, and perform a number of manuevers that I did not know were possible with a joystick.

Comment

for that joystick try setting it up this way:

turn left/right - set that to twist left/right

roll left/right - set that to push left/right

I have the same stick and that helped

Comment

Originally posted by Furious-AGE-

Yeah, thats how I have it set.

Comment

Originally posted by RedHeadedFreak
              I just got the Logitech Extreme 3d pro joystick mainly for BF2.

I am having a blast flying the planes because the joystick is so much better for them...my only problem is the choppers.

Everytime I try to fly them, I cant land as well, i keep swinging from side to side, and just plainly cant keep it steady.

Any tips, button configs...anything?

Kinda off the topic, but...

Are you using the throttle control on the joystick for your throttle on the planes? I'm not sure if I've got it set up correctly - if you could share what you did to get that to work right, if you're using it...

Thanks!

Comment

If I remember right you cant twist the Logitech Extreme 3d pro

Comment

If you cant twist the stick, you can always use the mini-pad at the end of the stick (like on a Saitek ST290) and use that as would your arrows and/or mouse, and push the stick for the W/S/A/D keys

Comment

I'd just stick with a keyboard and mouse for the helicopters, personally. I just don't think the helicopters in BF2 work well with a stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Furious-AGE-

I have twist and push reversed. I still do pretty good. I can do the Kubra Dam obstacle course proly with this setup no probs. I just tried during the fight to fly thru the tunnel and I was fine and felt too easy. Also, with this setup it makes it naural for me to turn the copter in the direction of the building , for example, and strafe around the building by keeping the 'twist' and correcting in flight.

Check my and other posts on the same topic: http://forums.totalbf2.com/showthread.php?t=17218

Make sure your joystick is properly calibrated though. You don't want to be even slightly 'off' the center (for example my plane used to turn slightly when I don't hold the joystick).

Comment

I had the same problem. I us the joystick for turning and pitch. I use the keyboard for throttle and roll. This made all the differnce in the world for me.

Comment

Here is my storie about this.

When startign to play BF2 I sat my joystick up for choppers and planes. I found out that controlling the choppers was extremely difficult especially hovring.
                          I then turned to keyb/mouse and got a lot more fell about it and got the hovring pretty well. I have then put the sensitivity settigns all the way up. I then felt that controlling the BH very well, but trying to fly the Cobra was still very difficult and almost worse. Beeing in a fight or trying to dodge was allmost still very difficult with all chopper models. Hovring with the Cobra was a pain.

Abyways afther 6-8hrs flying choppers (wich I love) with the keyb/mouse I decided to try back with the joystick. By then I obvously had gotten a bit more feel of the choppers, but still I felt it was more difficult with the joystick.
                          I flew a lot of the time in 3rd. person since I most of the time flew the BH and not the Cobra. The Cobra was still hard for me to fly.

I then realised one thing! Actually flying the choppers in 1st. person got me a lot more feel and was easier to controll. Landing and hovring over bases was a bit difficult since I could not see very whell arround me. I solved this problem by switching between 1st. and 3rd. person (having the views bound the the juystick buttons offcourse) from now and then to check that I wasn't dangerly close to anything. This worked out well. And flying with the Cobra (even BH) in battle was easier (the chopper actually fly allmost like a plane in that case). I still had all my sensitivity all the way up.
                          In this way I hazd solved my problem. Switching between 1st. and 3rd.
                          person.

It all has to do with practising off course and now afther 20-40 hrs flying the choppers with joystick (even training on empty servers) I have a lot of controll of the choppers and feel that I fly quite well. I feel it's the shooting of the rockets I need more practise now, but get more and more hits every time I play.

I can now actually fly in maps like Dagging Oilfelds and Gulf of Oman using only 1-2 choppers some times. Allways go back to repair if I go down to 50% or less of chopper "health".

It's a GREAT feeling to be able to controll the Cobra (even getting there with the HAVOC) so stay in there and try this strategy out and practise practise practise. You will get there eventually!

Comment

Saitek X45 is nice. the throttle works well for hovering

Comment

I just bought the logitech extreme 3d today but I want to practice before going into battle... especially with jets.

Is there a map to fly jets in single-player???

I don't know, I am usually just playing multiplayer online (64/32)....

Comment

Working...
                              X