Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(SPOILERS) Finally saw the new Star wars. What did you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (SPOILERS) Finally saw the new Star wars. What did you think?

Spoiler: 
    I finally got to see the new star wars episode. I didn't have high hopes, not at all, even after hearing some of my friends and a lot of people on the internet praising the movie a lot.
    After watching the movie, while I really loved seeing all of those characters again, seeing more of starwars in general, I was left with a feeling of slight disapointment and Meh.
    My father grew up with the old star wars movies and took me to see the prequels when I was young, that's when I started enjoying star wars quite a lot, so I can't say "ooh the prequels suck!!" because I don't believe that. Actually after watching this last movie it made me love the prequels even more in a sense that I finally saw that George Lucas tried to bring in more new things into the world than this last movie brought. This last movie was more of an interpretation of the past movies, was like a big sum up or almost copy of the first 3 movies in terms of story elements, you see that J.J Abrams was afraid of creating new stories so he just played it safely. There was barely anything new.
    Some of the side characters wich one would think would have a bigger importance (specially taking in account that they appear in the posters and were praised often in marketing of the movie) barelly make an appearance and barelly make a mark in the movie at all, Phasma being the most notable of them.

The thing I disliked the most were my mixed feelings torwards Kylo Ren. People complained that Anakin was a stupid kid and that his turn to the dark side was not explained well with not enough motivations. Yet Kylo Ren, so far seems much worse, he's just portraied like a seriously emo kid who wants to be evil and even though after supposed years of training has trouble confronting people using a lightsaber for the first time. The thing is, I really like the dark side, I really love darth vader. I don't play a star wars game without chosing to go the dark side on my first playthrought, and I really like his mask, so I will be waiting untill the next movies come out to reveal more about it.

The new orchestral pieces also felt quite weak. While they where all pretty good, there wasn't a moment during the movie where I felt embraced by the music besides the starkiller one, nothing was specially memorable though, no goosebumps. But oh well, one could argue that that's because the soundtrack is quite new, but I'm not sure if that's it.

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by jimykx; 12-24-2015, 06:09 AM.

Spoiler: 
    I really liked it myself. I feel the acting was a lot better and they really chose some good people in their roles.

There are a lot of Star Wars books that have been out forever and Ive read glimpses of these books and the movie seems to be following them. I think this one was a bit "meh" because its the first of three. That's one thing about Star Wars is they thought it was going to flop and so put a lot more into it and made it action packed. Its also why they started in the middle. So I can understand the slowness of the movie.

I didn't like the fight scene between Kylo and Rey either. The only thing that kinda, sorta, excuses it is she used that staff for self defense so she will have some experience using sword type weapons. Me personally, I would have made her try to use the force more and just disarm Kylo in an accidental, clumsy way. I think though its to show how much power she actually has with the force.

Like I said, I wasn't disappointed and am looking forward to seeing the others.
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Spoiler: 

YEp! Definitely looking forward to see the others too!
      With this passing time after watching the movie and time to think about it I started appreciating it more. As well as I also started appreciating more George Lucas work by adding new spaceships, robots, planets and environemnts in general with the new movies, where, once again, J.J prefered to stick safely with the retro movies stuff and not add too many new things.
      Though something I can't really get around with is the soundtrack. after listening to the new pieces several times I still can't appreciate them as much as the music from the past movies

Comment

Spoiler: 
        I kind of felt the same way. Meh. I felt they introduced a lot of "main" characters, but didn't do much to develop them(phasma, snoke), and I really hated how they killed off you-know-who. I did like how they used some of the old sound effects. This movie felt more like part 1 of a series, rather than a movie that can stand on its own.
        "Crunch's First Officer"
        twitter: @signaprime

Comment

Do you guys mean star wars episdoe 7: a new hope?

Meh... I don't understand how other people bash movies like Hangover 2 for repeating the same story but appraises starwars for doing it. They then complain that Spider man 2 was just a movie to set up more sequels as this Star Wars did exactly the same. JJ Abram will always be JJ Abram reboots I.E. Star Trek.

Sorry for semi spoilers but I don't know how to do the spoiler reveal thing on my post.

Comment

Working...
          X