It's new gaming laptop time. Asus G550JK vs X510JK or something else?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • jimykx
    replied
    Hahah, I don't think I would do that. I'm too much of a basic user and most games I play are only running on windows. I don't feel like linux really has anything to offer me

    Leave a comment:


  • signa
    replied
    Now to put linux on it.

    Leave a comment:


  • jimykx
    replied
    Yeah, it's funny that you made this comparison because I didn't know this website and at the time I was wondering how much a similar Desktop would have costed me. This happens pretty much because laptop tech is all so small and compact, it couldn't really compare to it's PC counterpart.

    Leave a comment:


  • Shawn Zipay
    replied
    Laptop tech is so weird and foreign to me. Just from the names and the numbers of your components, I expected your CPU and GPU to be better in that laptop than my desktop (i5-2500K and GTX770). Apparently the CPU is about dead even and my GPU is slightly better.


    Leave a comment:


  • jimykx
    replied
    Hey Walker! Actually I got the Asus G550Jk for just about 500€ because it was refurbished. . If you are interested you can check that link to know more about the story of getting that computer :).
    I also took some pictures here

    I went with the Asus because I really believe Asus computers are premium quality. The lenovo is really nicely specd for its price, however I wouldn't get the lenovo because of all the bad reviews I read due to it's problems with being built with cheap materials and not so great screen.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jimykx; 04-29-2015, 01:09 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • walker
    replied
    These gaming laptops have a similar price, check out http://pcgamerhome.com/best-gaming-l...r-800-dollars/

    Leave a comment:


  • walker
    replied
    I like to go with the Lenovo Y50, it runs great when I play games

    Leave a comment:


  • jimykx
    replied
    Originally posted by signa
    whatever you get, an SSD is a must have.
    Why do you say so? There is an option for the R510 for an 128g SSD. But thats all, nothing else. I need to buy an external USB HDD to connect to it and to actually have some storage space. I dont really care about windows booting up times and the 128SSD can only fit windows and maybe a game. Is it worth it? I can also go with a 400gb SSD but it gets far too expensive

    Leave a comment:


  • CptainCrunch
    replied
    Originally posted by jimykx
    jeez, I wrote such a long answer and my PC crashed.
    In sum, I also don't like the lenovo and put it out of my choice list. If I do get the R510 model I will take it with the 750gb 7200rpm disk, but could you tell me why are you leaning towards this one? It has the better processor, and from the videos of gameplay I have seen on youtube they both seem to handle games very similarly (nearly the same FPS at the same settings). I'm just worried the general case of the G550(aluminium, better keys etc..) and the better screen might make it a better choice in the long run? I'm not entirely convinced yet.
    What you said. I didn't find anything that made it much different from the higher priced one. I think the difference is going to come down to the little extra features between it and the higher priced model.

    Leave a comment:


  • signa
    replied
    whatever you get, an SSD is a must have.

    Leave a comment:


  • Eagle101
    replied
    I wholeheartedly agree with Signa, that website helped me buy my first laptop when i first started uni, i would say go with the ASUS gaming version you psoted (second choice) but ask there first

    Leave a comment:


  • jimykx
    replied
    Thanks signa! I have been asking around in a couple of places. Reddit has been pretty helpful too

    Leave a comment:


  • signa
    replied
    To be honest, I would ask here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/
    they have a really knowledgeable user base, especially with gaming laptops.

    Leave a comment:


  • jimykx
    replied
    jeez, I wrote such a long answer and my PC crashed.
    In sum, I also don't like the lenovo and put it out of my choice list. If I do get the R510 model I will take it with the 750gb 7200rpm disk, but could you tell me why are you leaning towards this one? It has the better processor, and from the videos of gameplay I have seen on youtube they both seem to handle games very similarly (nearly the same FPS at the same settings). I'm just worried the general case of the G550(aluminium, better keys etc..) and the better screen might make it a better choice in the long run? I'm not entirely convinced yet.

    Leave a comment:


  • CptainCrunch
    replied
    With USB 3.0 and a good external hard drive (Maybe SSD and it be in a 3.0 case) I dont think you would notice the difference.

    I personally don't really like Lenovo. I feel they make their stuff a little too cheap and it doesnt seem to do well over time. That's just my own experience.

    I am leaning more toward the R510 model myself. The only thing that is a "concern" is the 750GB hard drives come in a 5400RPM. So you will want to watch that. You have it as the 7200RPM version above for both models, so be sure that is what you are getting.

    I dont think you will be going wrong with either of them. I feel its going to be down to what you like in the options each one has.

    Leave a comment:

Working...