2tb HDD recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2tb HDD recommendations

We have been using a 300gb hard drive for a couple of years now, and I realise, that in the current state we are with data, if we even so much as double our music library, we are looking at a chock full hard drive.

Any recomendations on SATA drives anyone? we have a samsung one, any brands that any one here is a fanboy of?

Re: 2tb HDD recommendations

Stevo..Go to ebay ,search for drives, theres a seller named PC Meal.

Ive been buying from him for over 5 years and never had any probs, I usually go for the samsungs 1T 7200 speed 32cache for about $100-120 at your door.

Do you have a sata motherboard?

Comment

Hard drives are crazy things and people have had good and bad with all brands.

With that being said, Im a fanboy of Seagate. They have some nice Barracude .11 drives that are fast and reliable. Price isnt bad either.

Crunch
      Twitter: @CptainCrunch
      Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

I have 2x 2TB WD Green drives at the moment, doing the job just fine for streaming media over the network.

Comment

eww green drives

Comment

I've always heard WD's are good.

Originally posted by Rambo
            eww green drives

"I do not like
            green hard drives, ma'am.
            I do not like them, Sam-I-am."

Comment

Oh man, that was good too.

Youre on a roll today.

Crunch
              Twitter: @CptainCrunch
              Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Yes, I have a samsung SATA drive at the moment, but I might look him up Rambo.

So, Samsung is pretty good as are seagate?

Comment

yep those both are top atm (its just personal preferance)and western digitals are not in it anymore.. so ive been told

Having said that! he has a 2 GB western with 64 cache for $115 wow<<Im tempted myself

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Western Digital WD 2TB, Internal, 5400 RPM, 3.5 inch (WD20EZAZ) Hard Drive at the best online prices at eBay!

Comment

Originally posted by Spik3d
                    I've always heard WD's are good.
                    I bought a 1 TB WD Caviar Black the last time I needed a HD, and I haven't regretted it.
                    But they are not the most quiet drives around.

So the recommendations might depend on what you prefer: Peace or Performance?

Comment

Well I'd probably prefer performance I guess, but how much peace will be disturbed if I go, say 64 cache? (oh, should say, if it matters, I am using 64bit vista, but hoping to upgrade to 64bit 7 or so sometime.)

Comment

You cant go wrong with a Samsung SpinPoint F4 EcoGreen 2TB, dont let the 5400rpm fool you it still has the same seek time as any 7200rpm hdd.

Comment

The Green drives work pretty well, and the fact I got two for £130 I can't really moan.

Comment

After the trouble I've seen and had with seagate's bigger drives I will be scared to put so much information on one.

You buy a drive with good reviews then your are ok. Seagate or WD that pretty much holds true. Just make sure the drive has had enough time in the market with the current firmware.

The drive I bought ended up being said to have 30-40% failure rates most within a month or two of purchase. Any company that lets something like that make it out of testing does not receive my money twice any time soon.

Comment

Until recently, I always bought the largest single-platter, quietest drive I could find. I'm a samsung fan...except for those shiny new OCZ vertex 2 SSD's in my new build...

The two samsung 160gb are just sitting in E:\ and F:\ waiting for me to pull data off them, but they have been working like champs for almost four years now. When I used to RAID0 them, they were plenty fast. I've dropped them, moved them all over country, reformatted, etc...and they just keep working. Not sure how much of that is limiting to a single platter and how much is build quality, but them's my two cents and my shameless plug for Korean kit.

Comment

Working...
                              X