What the Deuce!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the Deuce!?

Felt nostalgic today and tried playing some classics, launched BF2 and it goes to a black screen and crashes....Ok try again, same thing...Ok try COD4 promod, get on server get 1 kill it crashes....Ok try again get on other server for like 5 mins then it crashes....

What the Deuce?! I can run newer games, such as TF2, Black oops, GRID and other stuffs but not the oldies...

Things already rules out are:
    Power supply
    GFX temps
    CPU temps

PS also tried running BF2 as administrator with no help...

Re: What the Deuce!?

Do you have a widescreen monitor?

Comment

Yes, never been a problem before...

Comment

So you've played the current installation of BF2 on your current system, including the monitor, and it worked before?

Comment

Ive had this problem b4,manually change your resolution in the user script in your bf2 "my documents" file.:salute:

Comment

Originally posted by Rambo
            Ive had this problem b4,manually change your resolution in the user script in your bf2 "my documents" file.:salute:
            This is what I was leading towards.

Go here:
            \Documents and Settings\[username]\My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\0001

and open Video.con with WordPad or some other text editor. Go to the line that says the resolution/refresh rate, it should look like this: VideoSettings.setResolution 1280x960@75Hz

or something similar.

Change that line to
            VideoSettings.setResolution 1920x1200@60Hz (or whatever resolution you're on)

If, for some reason, that doesn't work; do this:
            Right click the game in Steam, go to Properties.
            Click Set Launch Options and type this in the box that pops up:
            +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1920 +szy 1200 (or whatever resolution you're on)

Comment

Originally posted by [Expletive Deleted]
              This is what I was leading towards.

Go here:
              \Documents and Settings\[username]\My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\0001

and open Video.con with WordPad or some other text editor. Go to the line that says the resolution/refresh rate, it should look like this: VideoSettings.setResolution 1280x960@75Hz

or something similar.

Change that line to
              VideoSettings.setResolution 1920x1200@60Hz (or whatever resolution you're on)

If, for some reason, that doesn't work; do this:
              Right click the game in Steam, go to Properties.
              Click Set Launch Options and type this in the box that pops up:
              +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1920 +szy 1200 (or whatever resolution you're on)
              I tried this and saw that my resolution was at 1920x1080, because I played it last on my TV, but now I'm back to my monitor which is 1440x900 and I changed it in the Video.con file and saved it, but still the same thing. I think it has something to do with me having a later version of Visual Studio, maybe?

Also tried the other method and still the same problem... Might just reinstall...

Thanks for all the help so far btw +rep

Comment

when you're in the documents/Battlefield 2/Profiles make sure you also change the video.con in the Default folder.

Comment

Originally posted by ConscriptVirus
                  when you're in the documents/Battlefield 2/Profiles make sure you also change the video.con in the Default folder.
                  Changed that as well, still crashing.

Comment

I would completely delete the profiles before I reinstalled.

Comment

Running any particular anti-spyware or anti-virus? I know that i have similar problems with older games due to pb related issues not liking my software selections.
                      "We're all very different people. We're not Watusi. We're not Spartans. We're Americans, with a capital 'A', huh? You know what that means? Do ya? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts! Here's proof: his nose is cold! But there's no animal that's more faithful, that's more loyal, more loveable than the mutt." -John Winger (Bill Murray) Stripes

Comment

I had the same problem when I bought the bf2 complete pack a couple of months ago for a retro night with my on-again, off-again BC2 group. It took me almost a week to figure out what was wrong, and I have since forgotten how I fixed my situation. I will try and remember to find what I did and post back this evening after I get home from work. I'm pretty sure I found the answer under the steam forums (yah, go figure? there's help over in that toxic mass of human...nevermind...)

Comment

I think I found my answer here, somewhere between either deleting the video.con file or manually setting the rez to 800x600 x _________ hz (insert your monitors refresh rate here, mine was 60hz) in the file in the document folder as detailed.

edit, but yeah, I know what you mean. I bought a bunch of older games (swkotor, jedi knight outcast, heroes of might and magic when steam had their end-of-year promotion. Some of them were $2.00 and $3.00 so they were good deals on games I used to really enjoy...but about half of them required half-an-hour or so of googling to get up and running.

Comment

Working...
                          X