New graphics card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New graphics card

Hi, I am looking to replace my graphics card in my Dell XPS 8100 I customized during summer. I just did not realize that my card was woefully average, so I went through without upgrading.

Specs: Check my thread in the second page of Tech center. It has the specs.

RIght now I have the ATI Radeon HD 5450 I believe. I would like recommendations for cards that would best work for gaming below 200$.

Also, I do not know if they will fit in my case, so how do I check?

Thanks,

Obsidian

Re: New graphics card

Open the case and use a tape measure.

5770 or GTX 460

ATi's 6xxx I think are released next month if you can wait.

5450 is 6.5 inches
    5770 is 8.2 inches
    460 is 8.25 inches

Comment

Originally posted by Scinto
      Open the case and use a tape measure.

5770 or GTX 460

ATi's 6xxx I think are released next month if you can wait.

5450 is 6.5 inches
      5770 is 8.2 inches
      460 is 8.25 inches
      Opening the case does not do anything to my warranty or anything? I think I have a two year warranty, so I would like to keep it as long as possible.

Comment

Shouldnt do, if there is a warrenty sticker on the back covering the side panel then you cant tear it

Comment

Well if you don't want to open the case to find out the space, how the feck are you going to install a gfx card without opening the case?

Comment

Originally posted by Hellsent 2.0
            Well if you don't want to open the case to find out the space, how the feck are you going to install a gfx card without opening the case?
            :rofl: +Rep

Crunch
            Twitter: @CptainCrunch
            Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

I wasn't sure if my warranty would hold, so I would contact Dell and ask for more information or have them put in the card so they can't screw me if it breaks.

I will open the case if my warranty holds and do it myself otherwise. :S Does that answer your question?

Btw, I will bump this thread over the weekend when I am at home with the computer and can check on these things.

Comment

I was thinking the same
                Regardless of stickers, I dont think any warranty will cover it if you fry the computer while installing a new card.

On-topic: It seems the next series of ATI cards are just around the corner, so this may be a bad time to upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Vreki
                  I was thinking the same
                  Regardless of stickers, I dont think any warranty will cover it if you fry the computer while installing a new card.

On-topic: It seems the next series of ATI cards are just around the corner, so this may be a bad time to upgrade.
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...6xxx.29_series
                  Well, all I really want is a card that I won't have to upgrade for a good while. I like the look of the 460 Nvidia right now. Personally, my ATI cards are of average quality and unless the 6xxx series does some amazing things, I will be switching.

Comment

I have the standard Studio XPS case, but my dad said no to upgrading the card for right now, so I didn't check the size and stuff yet. I will have to wait a while, so I will contact Dell and ask them some annoying questions. :S

Comment

Dude, you got a dell.

Comment

Originally posted by Spik3d
                        :/ .... What?

Anyways, back on topic.

I remembered that on their site they have a list of cards you can customize your system with, so I went and found it. They have the 5770 there, so maybe it will fit the 460.

Want to Boost Performance?
                        A better video card improves multitasking and graphics
                        nVIDIA GeForce G310 512MB DDR3 [Included in Price]
                        ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3 [Add $50.00 or $1.00/month1]

Dell Recommended
                        ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR5 [Add $100.00 or $3.00/month1]

nVidia GeForce GTS240 1024MB GDDR3 [Add $130.00 or $4.00/month1]

ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5 [Add $180.00 or $5.00/month1]

Comment

Why don't you just open the case and look? You're going to have to become a man in the PC world eventually.

Comment

Just make sure that it will fit a card of standard dimensions, and not just a "Dell Edition".
                            I hate brand name computers, they always seem to find some way to avoid standards.

Comment

hell, even I opened our Dell INSPRION (yes, inspiron. I have a crappy computer, deal with it) to replace its original nvidia 8300gs with an ATI 5570 (its alright, not much though). do you want to be less of a man than me?

Comment

Working...
                              X