8800GT graphics corruption and freezing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8800GT graphics corruption and freezing

While under load, my 8800GT shows graphics corruption and freezes. It just started happening today, I have no idea what started it and my computer was running fine before this. I was playing TF2 fine and alt-tabbing with Firefox when all of a sudden the screen shows corruption and the entire computer freezes, forcing me to restart.

I ran FurMark and it froze after about 10 seconds, the temperature when it froze was 75C, lower than the usual load temp. Could it be a PSU issue? Is my card dying?

specs:
    EVGA 8800GT 512mb (driver version 257.21)
    Asus P5K SE motherboard
    E8400 3ghz
    Corsair 650w PSU
    Windows XP

Re: 8800GT graphics corruption and freezing

First thing you should do is check it to see if the fans and heatsinks are clean.

Crunch
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

I think the fans and heatsinks are fine, my usual load temps are around 85C. With fan speed at 100%, TF2 crashes about 20 seconds after the map loads and the temperature was under 70C.

Comment

You might try the oven bake method to fix it (google it), 200c for 9 min.
        I fixed my old laptop doing that, although it just died after 6 months, so I may have to do it again.
        "Crunch's First Officer"
        twitter: @signaprime

Comment

I switched the card out for my old 3650, and the 3650 ran Furmark fine for 2 minutes. I guess the 8800GT's dying...

Comment

Sounds like it. If the fan and heatsinks are clean and another card works fine, then its probably it.

Crunch
            Twitter: @CptainCrunch
            Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Im doing computer engineering atm and im sorry Signa,respect and all but i dont see how cooking circuit boards would help in anyway.

If you had a digital meter you could test every circuits resistance and isolate the faulty circuit but because its old and there cheap ,its not worth fixing it for the time and trouble.time to upgrade ?

make sure bios voltages are normal and heatsinks clean.:thumbsup:

Comment

Originally posted by Rambo
                Im doing computer engineering atm and im sorry Signa,respect and all but i dont see how cooking circuit boards would help in anyway.

Baking melts the solder to fix microfractures in the circuits.

Comment

ok that makes sence and i guess if your card is that bad,you would have very little to lose.:thumbsup:

Comment

Working...
                  X