• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU HSF fan upgrade question

I currently have this HSF:
    ZALMAN CNPS 8700 NT 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
    And this motherboard:
    GIGABYTE GA-X48-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard

The HSF isn't cooling my CPU as well as I'd like, and it blocks one of my RAM slots. I'd like to get a new one, but I'd like to get some opinions on a good one that would be worth the hassle of switching from a cooling standpoint and also either be small enough to avoid blocking the RAM slot or raised up high enough to pop the RAM in under it.

So far this is what I'm looking at:
    Buy Scythe SCKBT-1000 120mm Sleeve Kabuto 6 Heat Pipes CPU Cooler with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

or:
    Buy ARCTIC Freezer A11 CPU Cooler for AMD, 150W Cooling Capacity, 3 Direct Touch Heatpipes,

Any ideas/suggestions?

EDIT: Yeah, I know the thread title comes from the Department of Redundancy Department. I can't edit it though.

Re: CPU HSF fan upgrade question

Ive the Freezer 7 Pro it keeps things cool and is quiet, there is clearance to put ram in slot 1 but not enough if you want to put a ram cooler on ie the corsair one.

Comment

Newegg is proud to offer United States the best prices, fast shipping and top-rated customer service for Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics and more!

That's what I use, and I've been very pleased with it. It keeps my overclocked Q9450 perfectly happy.

Comment

The Corsair H50 is by far the best one I know of. If you see the newegg reviews compared to the one Powderhound sent you, you will realize that more people gave this one 5 stars.

Buy CORSAIR Hydro Series H50 120mm Quiet Edition Liquid CPU Cooler - Intel Only (CW-9060006-WW) with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

P.S. Sorry Powder did not mean to bag on your CPU cooler. But I did some research and believe the one I chose is better.

Comment

Originally posted by VoraciousBear
          The Corsair H50 is by far the best one I know of. If you see the newegg reviews compared to the one Powderhound sent you, you will realize that more people gave this one 5 stars.

Buy CORSAIR Hydro Series H50 120mm Quiet Edition Liquid CPU Cooler - Intel Only (CW-9060006-WW) with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

P.S. Sorry Powder did not mean to bag on your CPU cooler. But I did some research and believe the one I chose is better.
          That one just looked strange to me. Does it have a pump and all of that? It just looks like it would be difficult to mate up with the CPU. Have you used it?

The reason I ask is: if I just wanted to go by Newegg reviews, I would have. But some of the guys here have used all sorts of different cooling solutions in their overclocking endeavors. I'm hoping for some experience here, as I've always used either this Zalman or the stock HSFs that come with CPUs.

Comment

It also costs twice as much as the one I suggested...

Comment

I have this in my machine right now:

Buy ZALMAN CNPS 9300AT SuperFlo CPU Cooler with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Intel 2.4 Q6600 OCed to 3.0 and it runs within the heat specifications I did go up to 3.4, but I didnt like it staying as warm as it was, so I moved it back down. Some complain its loud, but noise is in the ear of the beholder and it depends what is in your case as well. With all my other fanned components like the video card, you do not hear this zalman. I do have to say it is tall though, if you have anything smaller then a midtower case, then this probably wont work for you.

Anyway, it works for me and does a good job. Ive had a few Scythe fans and they have all failed on me, so I would not go that route. Long ago I used arctic cooling, but I do not know how they are now.

Crunch
              Twitter: @CptainCrunch
              Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

My case:
                Cooler Master Mystique

It's big enough to hold my GTX 280, so I figure most CPU HSFs should be fair game.

Right now I'm torn between the AC Freezer 7 and that weird Corsair.

That Corsair H50 is showing 100% load temps at about the same as my idle temps now. So it will be a major improvement.

It looks like the Corsair H50 wins for me. It's at a nearby Fry's for the same price as Newegg, so I can actually get it right now and get my OC set before BFBC2 releases. Considering my performance in the beta had a linear improvement with my OC up to this point, I'm expecting similar results with the full game.

Comment

I think thats a good deal. Your case is large enough to be fine.

One thing I noticed reading the reviews on this thing, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. Apparently a lot of people somehow hooked it up wrong and broke it. I guess its a little complex. It does look strange, but I am surprised people broke it.

Crunch

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
                    I think thats a good deal. Your case is large enough to be fine.

One thing I noticed reading the reviews on this thing, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. Apparently a lot of people somehow hooked it up wrong and broke it. I guess its a little complex. It does look strange, but I am surprised people broke it.

Crunch
                    You, sir, are a disgrace to men everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Flt. Sgt. Powderhound
                      You, sir, are a disgrace to men everywhere.
                      LOL, revoking my man card?

I know, but I didnt want Expletive breaking his new cooler and I would have felt bad if I said nothing and he came back on here and talked about how the cooler was trash and he broke it. Yes, that would have been more funny, but I would still feel bad. Now if he breaks it we can laugh and say how Crunch told him to be careful.

Crunch

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
                        LOL, revoking my man card?

I know, but I didnt want Expletive breaking his new cooler and I would have felt bad if I said nothing and he came back on here and talked about how the cooler was trash and he broke it. Yes, that would have been more funny, but I would still feel bad. Now if he breaks it we can laugh and say how Crunch told him to be careful.

Crunch
                        When it comes to the inside of my PC, I ALWAYS read the directions unless it's something really simple like connecting an HDD or RAM. Headers on mobo? Directions. HSF installation, especially for one that has parts for multiple socket types? Directions. BIOS changes like overclocks or anything to do with voltages? Directions.

Working PC > Internet perception of masculinity.

Comment

Update

Well, I've installed the Corsair H50. My idle temps are 12 degrees cooler. My load temp (playing GTA IV maxed) so far is 20 degrees cooler.

Comment

Thats a really good improvement, isnt it?

Crunch

Comment

hmm might get myself one of those H50's heard alot of good things about it plus that way I can put my ram cooler back on as there will be room again.

Comment

Working...
                              X