Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think BC2 Beta for PC is killing my CPU any help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think BC2 Beta for PC is killing my CPU any help?

Hey guys! Im going to copy and paste most of my stem fourm convo. I need help.

So i was playing the BC2 Beta and my gf asked me if i could smell something burning. Well i went around the dorm room and could not find anything. I have a clear case and i looked inside my case and everything seems to be fine. I notice this smell during the summer while playing L4D and i noticed it around nov playing L4D2. I think it might be my video card but when i play another game i never get the smell. Are my settings up to high in L4D2 and BC2 that its ♥♥♥♥ing up my video card and causing the smoke smell? My PC seems fine now. It seems like if i have the graphics up too high my card does this. Whats going on? What should i look for?

Next Post after a few

Anything to check my CPU Temp you guys can give me? The smell got worse while playing BC2 and my fan stayed at 50

Next post

updated

Look at this i think it might be my CPU i cant tell now. Anyone?

Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

bought my PC less then a year ago from ibuypower

Update: My CPU just hit 81 C while playing BC2 and it started to have that burning plastic smell again

Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

Re: I think BC2 Beta for PC is killing my CPU any help?

What are your specs.

This is also the wrong section if a mod would like to move this to Tech.

Comment

didnt mean to post in the wrong spot....sorry guys anyways here are my specs

------------------
      System Information
      ------------------
      Time of this report: 1/29/2010, 15:13:34
      Machine name: D-PC
      Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
      Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
      System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
      System Model: System Product Name
      BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/13/09 13:05:27 Ver: 13.02
      Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
      Memory: 2048MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 2048MB RAM
      Page File: 928MB used, 3165MB available
      Windows Dir: C:\Windows
      DirectX Version: DirectX 11
      DX Setup Parameters: Not found
      User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
      System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
      DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
      DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

------------
      DxDiag Notes
      ------------
      Display Tab 1: No problems found.
      Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
      Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
      Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
      DirectX Debug Levels
      --------------------
      Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
      DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
      DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
      DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
      DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
      DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
      DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
      Display Devices
      ---------------
      Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
      Manufacturer: NVIDIA
      Chip type: GeForce 9600 GT
      DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
      Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0622&SUBSYS_C8633842&REV_A1
      Display Memory: 1267 MB
      Dedicated Memory: 499 MB
      Shared Memory: 767 MB
      Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
      Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Comment

Originally posted by .Gunfire
        This is also the wrong section if a mod would like to move this to Tech.
        Done.

Comment

51c is pretty good for a gpu with stock cooling and not high at all.
          81c is high for a cpu even considering full load, although you'd have to look up the max temp rating for it.

first I would blow out all your heat sinks and fans with compressed air and make sure your case has good ventilation. dont keep it closed up in a cabinet, etc..
          I would also consider going with an aftermarket heatsink/fan (HSF), and using arctic silver 5 thermal paste.
          I'm sure some people here could recommend some good HSF's for you. My preference is the thermalright ultra 120, or cheaper Xigmatek with same design. since you probably don't want to have to pull the motherboard out you might want to look for one that doesn't require a back plate.
          "Crunch's First Officer"
          twitter: @signaprime

Comment

If your CPU is running at 81 C, you should probably avoid playing games until you determine what the cause is. 81 C is a pretty high temperature.

First off, when you bought your PC from iBuyPower, did they overclock the CPU? Did you choose the regular CPU cooler, or a better one? Do you still have a warranty?

Second, if you haven't already, check and make sure your fan is functioning properly and that the heatsink is not caked with dust. If this isn't the problem, you might want to consider having iBuyPower re-seat your heatsink or purchase a better heatsink.

Comment

Like posted before clean all your fans, also try re applying your Thermal Paste and re-seating your GPU.

Also you don't have the most gaming intensive GPU, you might wanna upgrade to a GTX 260 or something along the lines of that to increase your frame rate. Also, I don't know how much ram BC2 uses but you may wanna get another 2GB to boot.

Comment

Working...
              X