After a Netbook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After a Netbook

So I was gonna buy one before and I decided against it. Now I kinda need it. So I've been looking around for one not after anything mega all I really want it for is essay writing, MSN, internet, film watching etc.

I need Wifi, 100GB+ HDD, decent battery life 5-ish hours. I found this.

Seems like a good deal. Anyone got any suggestions?

Re: After a Netbook

I have an Samsung NC10 with the 9 cell battery pack, its battery is about 9-10 hours and its fast enough for web browsing, standard video, and flash games, i run windows 7 on it too. Samsung have a newer model out i think its the N140

Ive seen most of them at work, and i like the newer Asus Eee models, the toshiba Toshiba NB200, and the samsung's

If you want the best value for money Dell Mini is a good choice as its priced around £200, but it has less features than those above

Take your pick really i dont think you can go wrong with any of the above

Comment

If your really set on getting a netbook, I would look into getting one with the new ION gpu.
      "Crunch's First Officer"
      twitter: @signaprime

Comment

TBH signa, the price it costs you for an ION netbook your might aswell go for a full sized 15" notebook

the cpu will choke on 720p video anyway, and i hope he doesnt intend to do any gaming

Comment

I took a look at the N140 but didn't really see any decent enough advantages to warrant the extra money tbh. Ordered it earlier from ebuyer and it should be here 2mrow aparently! Magic.

Comment

Originally posted by Death Merchant
            TBH signa, the price it costs you for an ION netbook your might aswell go for a full sized 15" notebook

the cpu will choke on 720p video anyway, and i hope he doesnt intend to do any gaming
            true. for a little more money you could get something like this

I heard the standard cpu/gpu in netbooks chokes on watching hulu videos, and the new ion gpu was supposed to be much better.
            "Crunch's First Officer"

Comment

Us brits dont get to watch Hulu...

Comment

well could choke on any online streaming service.
                "Crunch's First Officer"

Comment

Originally posted by TheEn|gma
                  So I was gonna buy one before and I decided against it. Now I kinda need it. So I've been looking around for one not after anything mega all I really want it for is essay writing, MSN, internet, film watching etc.

I need Wifi, 100GB+ HDD, decent battery life 5-ish hours. I found this.

Seems like a good deal. Anyone got any suggestions?
                  All of your run-of-the-mill netbooks have cookie cutter specs. I have a MSI Wind U100. The only way my Wind doesn't meet your specs is I got the smaller battery, but it flies with XP, Vista or Win7 (I know, I tested it.) As long as you aren't looking to do gaming or HD video, you should be fine. Don't forget to get the external DVD burner. You'll need it for software installs.

:icon_salute:

Comment

Originally posted by signa
                    well could choke on any online streaming service.
                    duno about hulu, but iplayer works fine

Comment

Originally posted by Death Merchant
                      duno about hulu, but iplayer works fine
                      Have you seen the iPlayer bandwidth stats? It's scary.

Comment

Most of the tech world now considers it a given that Google will be selling its own unlocked phone, called the Nexus One, to customers directly early in 2010. A few stragglers are still debating the finer points of the difference between Google working with handset manufacturers and carriers on a good Android experience v. them dictating the hardware specs and selling it directly to users. While they work that out for themselves we're off to the next story - the Google Chrome OS Netbook (although we think Google has a few surprises left around the Nexus One, too). Google has said from the beginning that they plan on working with select manufacturers to ensure a good Chrome OS experience for users when devices first hit the market next year. From an early FAQ: "The Google Chrome OS team is currently working with a number of technology companies to design and build devices that deliver an extraordinary end user experience. Among others, these companies include Acer, Adobe, ASUS, Freescale, Hewlett-Packard, Lenovo, Qualcomm, Texas Instruments, and Toshiba." Most people assume that "working with" around Chrome OS means the same thing as "working with" around Android - lots of meetings to make sure the devices and software work together as well as possible. But sometimes those pesky hardware guys just don't do things quite right. And when you're competing against Apple, everything most definitely needs to be quite right. That may explain why Google has, according to multiple sources, been talking to at least one hardware manufacturer about building a netbook for Google directly. As in Google gave the company a RFP with quite detailed technical specifications and has begun discussions on building it.

Comment

Working...
                        X