Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large files on USB flash drives

Hi

Well since USB stick are getting bigger and cheaper and 3.0 is on the cusp i have been thinking about transfering some large files and images for a friend.

I had a 64 GB stick in mind but then found thier are some issues with large files,most are fat32 formatted and it only accepts 4 gig files max?You can format on NTSF but a 64 GB will go down to 32GB right?also read the read speeds on 2.0 will take a while and can stuff up because of that

anyone with experience with large files on USB sticks and what it takes?

I have a few 8GB files and one 15GB file to transfer

Advice and help would be appreciated:salute:

Re: Large files on USB flash drives

Originally posted by xRAMBOx
    ...You can format on NTSF but a 64 GB will go down to 32GB right?..
    The size doesn't go down, it will still be a 64gb drive no matter how you format it. you do lose aprox 70.3mb for each Gb when a drive is formatted, so your 64gb drive formatted would actually be 59.5gb. This is due to advertised vs actual drive space.

I would definitely format it NTFS, as it has much better reliability.
    "Crunch's First Officer"
    twitter: @signaprime

Comment

It will be nice when powered esata (or something equally useful) becomes the de facto interface for data transfer. It's all I ever use these days, except when I have to switch to a usb dongle for compatibility with work.

Until then, it will be kinda' ick for large file writes to a portable device.

If you're going to be doing a lot of large file transfers, esata is yummy.

Edit, unless i'm mistaken you can get a 2.5" usb/esata enclosure and a 120gb hd for forty or fifty dollars less than a 64gb usb stick. Then again, that doesn't matter if you want to put it on your key chain instead of your coat pocket.

Buy Vantec NexStar 3 2.5" SATA to USB 2.0 & eSATA External Hard Drive/SSD Enclosure (Onyx Black) - Model NST-260SU-BK with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Buy SAMSUNG Spinpoint M7 HM250HI 250GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 2.5" Notebook Hard Drive Bare Drive with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Comment

thanks for your help guys ,im definately not experienced on this tech

p.s good sig quote mega

Comment

Defo go for NTFS, very few reasons to still use FAT32 really.

Comment

That brings up an interesting point. Why do flash drives still ship with FAT32?

Comment

I read fat32 is mac friendly captain,where as ntsf is not but i thought fat32 was compressed system and would have a 32GB drive seem like 64 GB?

again im just learning here

Comment

even the new linux builds have native read/write support to NTFS.
                "Crunch's First Officer"

Comment

Technology advances constantly. When the speed of USB 2.0 can no longer fulfill the expanding demand of modern people, storage technology with faster speed, lower power consumption and greater convenience emerges out of consumer demands. Eyeing at the developmental potential of e-SATA, Team Group In...

esata/usb in your pocket. Delicious, if it really works.

edit: lol, maybe not so much. data rates top out at 110mb/s read 40mb/s write. Still better than usb.

Odd though--if you compare the company's press release to their spec sheet, they can't figure out if they're selling an X902 or an X092.

Comment

Wow... it's triply faster.

Comment

Originally posted by megawhompertoo
                      http://www.techpowerup.com/111676/Te...Disk_X092.html

esata/usb in your pocket. Delicious, if it really works.

edit: lol, maybe not so much. data rates top out at 110mb/s read 40mb/s write. Still better than usb.

Odd though--if you compare the company's press release to their spec sheet, they can't figure out if they're selling an X902 or an X092.
                      thats pretty cool. I can't wait for usb 3.0.
                      "Crunch's First Officer"

Comment

Ahhhh so thats why an 11GB file wouldn't go on my empty 16GB mem stick...

Comment

I think megas idea of a 2.5 inch pocket drive(laptop type drive) is much better and faster,ive been looking at prices

3.0 wont be common until the end of the year?

i read 3.0 is heaps fast too

Comment

Working...
                          X