Windows 7 Pricing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 Pricing

CNET is the world's leader in tech product reviews, news, prices, videos, forums, how-tos and more.

Re: Windows 7 Pricing

OEM copies will most likely be a lot cheaper though.

Though I wonder how these prices are going to make XP owners upgrade...

Comment

Originally posted by iQue
      ..Though I wonder how these prices are going to make XP owners upgrade...
      easy. discontinue all support and security updates for xp.
      "Crunch's First Officer"
      twitter: @signaprime

Comment

Most of the XP fanboys stay behind because "ZOMFG Vista is a resource hogg, it eats all my RAM (and you bought the RAM to sit there and do nothing?).

Comment

Eh, i've been using 7rc for about a month and a half now as my primary os. It is awesome, I went from Xp x64 to 7 x64 and i will never go back.

Comment

Just pre-ordered from newegg.com for $49.99.

Comment

We’re sorry, but this page does not existing. Please visit our home page for more information.

At those prices, any Windows XP user would be a fool to not get a Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade.

Also, comparing the different Windows 7 versions, I have to say anybody who buys Professional or Ultimate is a fool, unless of course they run Active Directory on their home network.

Comment

Originally posted by AbJ32
                ..Also, comparing the different Windows 7 versions, I have to say anybody who buys Professional or Ultimate is a fool, unless of course they run Active Directory on their home network.
                pro includes remote desktop host app, home just has the client.
                pro can handle 192gb of ram, unlike the measly 16gb of home.
                pro has network backup and file encryption

but yeah, for 99% of people, home premium is perfect.

also here's a great site with useful info:

so far I've learned:
                + the upgrade discs include both x86 and x64 versions. :thumbsup:
                + you can do a clean install with the upgrade disc, same as vista. :thumbsup:
                "Crunch's First Officer"
                twitter: @signaprime

Comment

Originally posted by signa
                  pro includes remote desktop host app, home just has the client.
                  There are 3rd party alternatives to this.
                  pro can handle 192gb of ram, unlike the measly 16gb of home.
                  I'm sure by the time most people start exceeding 16 gigs of Ram, Windows 8 will be out.
                  pro has network backup and file encryption
                  Nobody sans a few paranoid people is going to use File System Encryption on their home PC.

Comment

Originally posted by AbJ32
                    Also, comparing the different Windows 7 versions, I have to say anybody who buys Professional or Ultimate is a fool, unless of course they run Active Directory on their home network.
                    Well, that depends on if you need "Windows XP Mode"

Comment

So how exactly will Windows 7 benefit me if I'm fine with the features of XP? Any huge improvements? The only thing I think would be nice is the improved memory usage, but even now my XP runs and games fine.

Comment

I upgraded to 7rc from XP and it works wonders, not only that it looks sexy, it has the layout of Vista, but without the memory hogging.

I'm just running 2GB of RAM and it runs fine, I want to get some more and see how nice it works...

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle
                          I upgraded to 7rc from XP and it works wonders, not only that it looks sexy, it has the layout of Vista, but without the memory hogging.
                          ....Vista comes without the memory hogging as well.

Unless by 'hogging', you mean 'utilizing' your memory to improve performance with features such as superfetch.

Comment

Sticking with my volume licensed copy of XP until MS comes out with a compelling product for the price.

I'll start taking notes when ANY of my affiliate institutions start implementing OS 'upgrades'. Until then, I appreciate everyone who is in Microsoft's 'You Pay To Be A Beta Tester' program.

Brave, rich souls, the wonderful lot o' ya!

P.S. I like my Win 7 dual boot. It's a very nice improvement. It's also not worth splashing out for a home PC that's used to type emails and run DX9 class games. There's the challenge for MS: gimme something for my buckaroos, buckaroo.

Comment

Working...
                            X