• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• megawhompertoo
    replied
    Re: Six SKU's for Windows 7

Originally posted by Alex98uk View Post
    Windows 7 beta is pretty much as stable as Vista, which, post SP1 is rock solid

The hate bandwagon derailed a while back after service pack 1, so it's probably time to jump off
    lol, not a matter of hate. it's a matter of turning one's nose up at an inadequate investment of one's hard-earned money.

lots of us have unlimited re-install capability for xp and can adequately squish the WGA malware and (edit) and activation "features" (bugs). many that don't still see the value of waiting for a really good reason to shell out on "teh good" version of vista, i.e., 64-bit Professional Spiffydifferous Deluxe Retail.

having said that, I likee the Win 7 so far, just playing with it during my spare time some. it's a decent operating system.

whether i'll actually pay money for it at release depends on pricing and knowledgeable reviews

Leave a comment:

• TheEn|gma
    replied

Pointless and shooting themselves in the foot.

Not to derail this thread but screw it, what's the story on concurrent activations? Was probably looking to buy a laptop pretty much just before Win 7 comes out for uni, any word on if I can throw it on my laptop and desktop at the same time?

And yes I know about calling MS and telling them my mobo has fried.

Leave a comment:

• Shawn Zipay
    replied

Originally posted by Unnamed Assailant View Post
    Yes, that sounds like a splendid idea. Trust my data to a Microsoft Beta product. Because they have such a good track record with "proven" software that a beta should be infallible.

My Vista hate comes from quite a few things, and it isn't due to pure ignorance such as: "people said it sucks." I have it installed on a media center computer and a laptop. And things that work just fine in XP get errors or poor performance in Vista. I'm also irritated at the stupid number of SKUs. It's a lame way to charge more because something is called "Ultimate" or "Premium." It's like having the Core X360, with no hard drive, HDMI support, or wireless controllers. "See, look how cheap the X360 is!" But then you realize that if you ever want to play Xbox games or get broken games patched, you NEED the HDD. So you end up paying MS more in the end. Which seems to be their plan for Windows as well, since they have "ads" telling me to upgrade to Ultimate when I have Home Premium.

Okay, that was a rant and a half. But will 7 be any different?

This is why there are such things as VMWare, separate partitions, secondary hard drive's and the like.

From what I'm reading about your "issues" with Vista and apparent lack of issues with XP, then perhaps you wouldn't know how to set things up to leave your primary OS alone and set up Win7 Beta as a second OS in a dual-boot configuration. So, perhaps it's for the best that you don't try it.

You're basing your hatred on a new OS because you've run into easily avoidable issues with Vista. Be it from not having the proper drivers or user error. That's quite unfair to make a judgment like that for those reasons.

Leave a comment:

• [Expletive Deleted]
    replied

Any remaining Vista issues are down to poor support from 3rd party driver manufacturers. Not sure you can blame MS on that one.

Anyway, i use Skype and I game, no problems to report here
    It's not a problem with Skype. It's a problem with the Linksys CIT200 series cordless USB handset. Vista is not liking the whole 2 sound devices running at once thing. So yes, it's a problem with a 3rd party driver. But that 3rd party driver works just fine in XP. If I have 3 things that worked in XP and have problems in Vista, how many more things will be problematic in 7? I highly doubt that issues will be magically resolved in 7 that existed in Vista.
    If not all hardware manufacturers are 100% on board, why should I, an end user, jump on the next big thing? For the price of an OS that I'll probably have issues with I can offset a processor upgrade or buy games that will most likely work just fine on XP.
    I installed Vista on a spare computer to test it in some pretty mundane areas as a media center and I have not been impressed. I tried to put a few games on it for my daughter and quite a few refused to work. Since I'm pretty sure all of them use the same engine and some work while others don't, and all work on XP, what conclusion should I reach? "Oh well, I guess I'll just have to deal with paying for less functionality than I had before." Or maybe, "Why pay to have less functionality when my current OS works just fine?" Why should anyone choose to pay money for a frustrating experience?

BLUF, I have yet to see any really compelling reasons to go through the pain of switching to a new OS at this time.

Leave a comment:

• =98=
    replied

Any remaining Vista issues are down to poor support from 3rd party driver manufacturers. Not sure you can blame MS on that one.

Anyway, i use Skype and I game, no problems to report here

Leave a comment:

• [Expletive Deleted]
    replied

The hate bandwagon derailed a while back after service pack 1, so it's probably time to jump off
    I have SP 1 and things still don't work the way I'd like when compared to XP. I'm not on any bandwagon as I have Vista and use it on a fairly regular basis. My dislike comes from personal experience, not from any supposed peer pressure or whatever.
    When my Skype phone causes BSODs if I get a call while watching a movie or playing a game, I'm going to be a little irritated. Yes, that's almost certainly due to poor drivers made by Linksys. I still see driver support and game updates as part of the whole package and if hardware vendors and game publishers do not update their products to cooperate fully with one OS, yet they work in another OS, I'm going to favor the OS that has the better support from third parties. I dislike Vista for the same reason I don't use Linux much. I don't want to jump through hoops to use my applications if I don't have to.

You're assuming that I've based my hatred of Vista and reluctance to jump onto the next OS on assumptions, prejudice and old data. My issues still exist as of this weekend. SP1 did not fix them. So I'm not operating on ignorance and assumptions or pre-SP1 experiences. This is right now and right now I still prefer XP over Vista.

Leave a comment:

• =98=
    replied

Leave a comment:

• [Expletive Deleted]
    replied

Originally posted by [MyIS]Zips View Post
    Uhm, try the beta?

It's a fantastic OS, especially for it still just being a beta. I do not get the Vista hate. Sure, the beginning was a little rocky, primarily due to the horrible driver support from companies that weren't Microsoft.

The multiple SKU's, however, is just completely stupid. For Vista, for Win7. It's not needed and just causes nightmares for tech support.
    Yes, that sounds like a splendid idea. Trust my data to a Microsoft Beta product. Because they have such a good track record with "proven" software that a beta should be infallible.

My Vista hate comes from quite a few things, and it isn't due to pure ignorance such as: "people said it sucks." I have it installed on a media center computer and a laptop. And things that work just fine in XP get errors or poor performance in Vista. I'm also irritated at the stupid number of SKUs. It's a lame way to charge more because something is called "Ultimate" or "Premium." It's like having the Core X360, with no hard drive, HDMI support, or wireless controllers. "See, look how cheap the X360 is!" But then you realize that if you ever want to play Xbox games or get broken games patched, you NEED the HDD. So you end up paying MS more in the end. Which seems to be their plan for Windows as well, since they have "ads" telling me to upgrade to Ultimate when I have Home Premium.

Okay, that was a rant and a half. But will 7 be any different?

Leave a comment:

• =98=
    replied

Originally posted by [7F]H|Jgr.B1scu1T[FM] View Post
    And starter... limited to 3 applications at once? thats just insane talk... i know its probs more meant for mobile devices but still i think such tight limitations is rediculaus and would ruin anyones day.
    It's meant for developing markets actually with very low end hardware. It won't be available here.

Leave a comment:

• Busby, Paul (Bicci)
    Guest replied

And starter... limited to 3 applications at once? thats just insane talk... i know its probs more meant for mobile devices but still i think such tight limitations is rediculaus and would ruin anyones day.

Leave a comment:

• =98=
    replied

They should cut home basic and pro. That would make more sense.

Leave a comment:

• Busby, Paul (Bicci)
    Guest replied

thats insane... in a world where everything is merging together windows decide to make things more complicated. Idiots

Leave a comment:

• Shawn Zipay
    replied

Originally posted by Unnamed Assailant View Post
    Looks like I'll be passing on another version of Windows. Well, at least until I see proof that every single game I play on a regular basis works at least as well as on XP.
    Uhm, try the beta?

It's a fantastic OS, especially for it still just being a beta. I do not get the Vista hate. Sure, the beginning was a little rocky, primarily due to the horrible driver support from companies that weren't Microsoft.

The multiple SKU's, however, is just completely stupid. For Vista, for Win7. It's not needed and just causes nightmares for tech support.

Leave a comment:

• [Expletive Deleted]
    replied

Looks like I'll be passing on another version of Windows. Well, at least until I see proof that every single game I play on a regular basis works at least as well as on XP.

Leave a comment:

• Iwantcable
    replied

What's the approximate OEM value of those?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X