Can i has a computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i has a computer?

Is it good and/or worth it? this is going to be a 100% strictly gaming computer and game related programs (xfire/steam). Im also on the fence on whether to get that HD or to get a terabyte HD for abt $30 more. Thanks

P.S. 1.i already have a case and 2.this i going to be a second computer in my house so i can have some LAN properties going on up in here.

Re: Can i has a computer?

No point in getting a Core 2 Quad if you're only uses the PC for gaming. Get a much higher end Core 2 Duo and a good cooler (for overclocking) instead. There aren't any games that really utilize all four cores at the moment and when they do crop up, this system will probably be outdated anyway.

I would go with this or any e8*00 instead.

Mostly everyone on here is going to recommend you go with an ATI 48** video card instead. They're right in terms of computing power, although nVidia drivers are usually better.

Other than that, it looks pretty good

Comment

What is your budget? and the 98GT urm i am not sure i will pretty much say go with the 4850 or 4870 if price is no problem.

Comment

Remember, the 9800GT isn't a bad card by any means; its essentially a revamped 8800gt. Obviously the 4870 is much better, but in terms of performance, taking into consideration that you have a 19" monitor, you won't see much except for a few games. If you want to save money its a good mid-range card.

Comment

i dont want to spend any more then $700, and im never going to overclock. Me and namakan were thinking about a duo but, even if my system is outdated, id rather have the right gear(seeing as this will probably be my last computer i personally buy for atleast 5-6 years). And the reason i chose the 9800gt is because me and namakan were going to get the 8800 b4 there was a 9800...then the 9800 popped up. Namakan is a nvidia fanboy and i might aswell trust him seeing as he hasnt had too many problems with his 8800. what do you think about my HD situation?

Comment

In this case the Quad is fine, especially if you want to play GTAIV on the PC. That is a major CPU hog and the Quads are out performing the duo's right now.

As far as the GPU, I would ditch the 9800 and get the 4850 OR 4870. Again, they are performing much better than the 9600 or 9800.

Good looking list, and to answer your question about the Hard drive...go for the 1TB, might as well. It's 500 mb's more for $30, not bad at all.

Comment

No overclocking... if it's a gaming computer, definitely get a 45nm Core 2 Duo E8***

Comment

No you can't has a computer.

Comment

You can get 1066 Dominators for the same price.

9800GT is fine for up to around 19" I think.

You can probably get a less expensive mobo if you're going to run at stock. No need for 2 PCIe either if you don't want to Crossfire.

Comment

There's no point spending so much on non-overclockng RAM. Get this instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820144073

Comment

Originally posted by Flt. Sgt. Powderhound View Post
                      There's no point spending so much on non-overclockng RAM. Get this instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820144073
                      That's the same price after rebates.

Get this if you don't mind non-OCing RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145184

The Dominators are good choices too if you're willing to spend more on a higher stock speed.

Comment

The difference between 800mhz and 1066mhz can only be seen in benchmarks. Just go for the cheapest.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex98uk View Post
                          The difference between 800mhz and 1066mhz can only be seen in benchmarks. Just go for the cheapest.
                          I didn't think the gap between 800 and 1066 would be that big either.

No-OCing = Corsair 4gb 800 for $25. That's probably the best deal on DDR2 right now.

And as for the PSU, I would invest a bit more for a quality brand PSU instead of a Thermaltake, might be a few more bucks but well worth it in the future.

Comment

Corsair HX520W or HX620W

Comment

Does he want a modular? You can get a TX650 (non-modular) cheaper than the HX520.

Comment

Working...
                              X