I think my psu fan is dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think my psu fan is dying

I started having problems about a couple of weeks ago.

1st my video card went up about 10c
    2nd my computer starting making a weird noise like a growling sound. That has stopped now. Last night I found my psu fan is moving very slow.

I got the computer through my wife's work so they will fix it for my at no cost to me.

If I put a house fan behind my computer and set my big side fan to blow out should i be all right till i can get in the shop. its close to xmas so i don't know if they can get done before then. Me and son will both be sad if we cant play our new xmas games.

Re: I think my psu fan is dying

You can use a desk fan for the meantime, but do not use it as a long term solution. Just get a new PSU, they are cheap nowadays.

Also, make sure you have the desk fan pointing the right way, you don't want to be forcing air against it's natural flow through the case otherwise you'll create deadspots and invoke more overheating.

Comment

Its goes in the shop tomorrow. have it back same day or the next. I will be shutting it down now.

thanks for the help

Comment

I doubt they'll open up and replace the fan as any wrong doing may cause severe problems which may lead to injury, even death. So, if it's broken, they'll replace the PSU.

You may as well save a few buck and just do it yourself.

Comment

A, think you missed this part:
          Originally posted by Basil. View Post
          I got the computer through my wife's work so they will fix it for my at no cost to me.
          Also, if the psu fan has a thermal sensor (many but not all high end models do), then it might just be throttling itself down. don't know about you, but my ambient temps took a 10C swing recently w/all this cold weather. of couse, if the rest of your pc depends on the psu fan running fast to exhaust hot air, that means the components would run hotter.

thats all conjecture, but something to think about in case they tell you nought's wrong with it.

Comment

Buy BFG Tech GS-550 550 W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.8 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply - Power Supplies with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

found this one, around 60 with tax and shipping i think, its got 80% to 85% efficiency (good) 2 12v rails, and a 140mm fan (moves lots of air) do some searching and you might find a nice and cheap one

Comment

Originally posted by Alex98uk View Post
              I doubt they'll open up and replace the fan as any wrong doing may cause severe problems which may lead to injury, even death. So, if it's broken, they'll replace the PSU.

You may as well save a few buck and just do it yourself.
              They will be replacing the psu for free. the whole computer is covered for a year. If anything goes wrong they fix or replace.

A lot of people get their computers through them at my wife's work they do not want people saying bad things about them. Probably 40 or 50 people a year get computers from them that way.

its not a dell or any kind of brand name. When i was ready to get the computer they sent me a list of parts, I picked the parts out and they build it.

Comment

Working...
              X