Partioning...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partioning...

Ok, if you read my other thread I'm basically setting up a Linux box on a Pentium 4 2.6Ghz, 1gb Ram, 60gb Master Hard-drive, 120gb Slave Hard-drive, 5900 Ultra 256mb... (with IDE no SATA)

I installed openSUSE and played around with that for a bit, then since I wanted Ubuntu, I installed Ubuntu SERVER edition, didn't realise it was all command line though, so now I've got the Ubuntu Desktop.

However, I want to install Ubuntu Desktop, and then install Windows 2003 Standard Edition (with SP1) - I want to be able to boot both of them at the same time... if that's possible... if not then I can live with picking my boot as long as Ubuntu is the default choice and automatically loads up Ubuntu if I haven't picked anything after 10-15 seconds...

Basically I want to setup a file server for my LAN network, where I'll store all my music and videos, and I guess the .iso files I have... and I want to be able to access that folder whether I boot from Ubuntu or Windows... so I can add/delete files without having to reboot to switch to the other one (or switch users to the other desktop) - However I'm not sure if that would work? As I'd have a Samba server on Linux? and then just share the files on the Windows Server? - Note my other computers are on Vista 64 bit, Vista 32 bit and XP 32 Bit...

With the Linux box, I want to just run around and learn Linux as I've not really used it before, I want to setup various things like a vBulletin forum database and play around with SQL Queries, then setup a game server (I think my box should run something?) and just test it on my LAN only, then setup a web server and test a few pages... with the Windows side, I just need it so I can RDP to it, probably wouldn't use it much, only to try running a game server, and probably testing a few other things...

Now, how would I setup the partions for each hard-drive? Master: 60gb and Slave: 120gb

...and I was told that I should install Linux first then install Windows and edit the boot.ini file so that Windows doesn't recognise Linux - then they should both dual boot... - but I also read somewhere else that Windows should be installed first...

Right so I'll use VirtualBox... but how should I setup my partitions for both hard-drives?

Ok so would I need SWAP on both hard-drives?

I've decided that I'll use the 60gb Hard-drive just for Linux and the 120gb to contain the Windows 2003 install and all my music files... which I'll need to share? So that Linux (Ubuntu) can see it...

So when I turn on Comp, it'll load up asking if I want to boot Ubuntu or Windows, with Ubuntu as the default...

Now to do that, do I need to switch the hard-drives around? They're both on Cable Select (and the 60gb is the master by cable, and the 120gb is slave)

Would I need any windows files on the first hard-drive (for the boot manager stuff etc?) :s

Meh, went and used Guided Partition on the 60gb Hard-drive...

Re: Partioning...

WTH quadruple post!!??!

Comment

Install Ubuntu Desktop on the 60GB hard drive.
      Download Virtualbox for Linux and install Windows Server 2003 as a virtual machine.

Or the other way around (Easy way):

Install Windows Server 2003 on the 60GB hard drive.
      Download Virtualbox for Windows and install Ubuntu as a virtual machine.

Since you are new to Linux (you are using Ubuntu is the giveaway) I would recommend just installing Windows Server 2003 on on the physical hard drives. You can then format the 120GB hard drive in NTFS and put your files there and use the virtual machine to learn linux.

Comment

Hmm well I installed Ubuntu on the 60gb HD - wanted to go with manual partition and setup both HD's but wasn't sure what would be a good setup and ended up just going with GUIDED on the 60gb HD... Now I'll need to format the 120gb HD as NTFS and then download VirtualBox and install Windows 2k3...

Then I'd need to setup the LAN/Perms etc. so I can move all my files from my other computers onto the 120gb HD.

Then I would use Samba? so I can share the files from the 120gb HD onto the LAN with the Vista Comps? Or do I need something else?

Comment

Originally posted by TheHeartSmasher View Post
          Install Ubuntu Desktop on the 60GB hard drive.
          Download Virtualbox for Linux and install Windows Server 2003 as a virtual machine.

Or the other way around (Easy way):

Install Windows Server 2003 on the 60GB hard drive.
          Download Virtualbox for Windows and install Ubuntu as a virtual machine.

Since you are new to Linux (you are using Ubuntu is the giveaway) I would recommend just installing Windows Server 2003 on on the physical hard drives. You can then format the 120GB hard drive in NTFS and put your files there and use the virtual machine to learn linux.
          Was gonna suggest this too. Question: Does Virtualbox work OK with linux or do the colours screw up with it like they do on Windows Virtual PC? If not, I'll be installing Ubuntu on this machine in the not too distant future

Comment

Windows Virtual PC is garbage along with their Virtual Server 2005. I have not had any problems with virtualbox on Linux (Debian, Redhat, CentOS ) or Windows (2003 Ent.) they look exceptionally well on both operating systems.

Comment

Maybe I missed something. Why do you need two operating systems? It seems like either Windows or Linux could satisfy your needs. (file server, web server, game server) I'm confused why you need both.

Comment

Somebody please correct the title of the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSpark29
                  Maybe I missed something. Why do you need two operating systems? It seems like either Windows or Linux could satisfy your needs. (file server, web server, game server) I'm confused why you need both.
                  He wants to experiment with doing these things on both, but doesn't have the resources to set up two different computers.

Anyway, I'll give virtualbox a look into. It looks exactly like what I was looking for when I stumbled across Virtual PC :O Woes I do not wish to go into...

Comment

I, personally, stand by VMWare.

Comment

Originally posted by [BFE]DO|*=DaN=* View Post
                      ... I installed Ubuntu SERVER edition, didn't realise it was all command line though, so now I've got the Ubuntu Desktop....
                      I made that same mistake too.

If I wanted to use command lines I would time travel back to 1985.
                      "Crunch's First Officer"
                      twitter: @signaprime

Comment

Yep, I use VMWare Workstation because it is far by the best virtualization product on earth, along with all of their other products. You can use VMWare Server for free, yes that's right free.
                        VMware vSphere delivers optimal performance for your data center. Boost operational efficiency, supercharge workload performance, and accelerate innovation.

As far as command line, linux (top level distributions (Debian, CentOS, Redhat, etc.) basically come with the option for administrators to install only what they want to use.

Unlike Windows which has everything included and if you remove it, more then likely everything will be broken. But if you are running a webserver, database server, mailserver and basically any type of server that you need amazing performance with maximum security and customization linux is for you. Unless your trying to run gameservers which are now mainly built to run on Windows which does a very good job for gameservers. Many try to run their gameservers on linux but are always disapointed when random weird problems come up for the gameservers that were not originally coded to run on linux and are windows ports (.net ports).

But if you want to learn linux I recommend starting out with a top level distribution (full distribution with all the possibilities) like CentOS or Debian. Since you will be running virtualbox you can install and run both both .

If you are linux expert you run Windows Server 2003/2008 as a virtual machine, if you are new to linux you run Linux as a virtual machine.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHeartSmasher View Post
                          If you are linux expert you run Windows Server 2003/2008 as a virtual machine, if you are new to linux you run Linux as a virtual machine.
                          Consider:
                          - I have a Vista PC.
                          - I want to install Ubuntu on a virtual machine (the program I use is probably irrelevant, either virtualbox or VMWare depending on what I feel like).
                          - I have two internal and one external hard drives. One of my internals is for all my system files, programs and such. The other internal is for all my media. The external is solely for backup.

If I was to install Ubuntu on a virtual machine, would I be able to access my media drive in the same way as I can through Vista, so I can mess around with sharing stuff over my network? Or will it be tied to Vista only? The drive is formatted in NTFS in Windows, but it's basically a "portable" dump-disk for all my downloads and files.

(sorry for the threadjack dan, although some of what I'm asking could be relevant to you )

Comment

Yes, by using the shared folders features of virtualbox or vmware. If you are having weird problems with networking with virtualbox you will have to use vmware server.

Comment

I was able to partition my 120gb HD using:

sudo cfdisk /dev/sdb

Then I setup a 60gb NTFS partition, then rebooted and checked the Partition table using GParted and it was set to FAT32 still but was able to right click and set it to NTFS - I've also set it so it can be booted - So now I guess I can just install Windows on that if I want to?

Comment

Working...
                              X