TV Tuner Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Tuner Cards

Anyone have any experience with TV tuner cards for the PC? I'm looking at getting one so i can pipe tv to an extra monitor, and maybe do some tv recording. I've been looking through neweggs cards and it just seems to be a mess out there with these things - way too many people reporting they couldn't get them to work. Also which brands are good?
    "Crunch's First Officer"
    twitter: @signaprime

Re: TV Tuner Cards

Happauge are a very good brand and only consider getting a PCI based one.

For TV cards, you get what you pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex98uk

I totally second that.

I just bought a Hauppauge 1250 to replace my original HP TV tuner that doesn't work with Vista.

People who want to buy a TV card now must check what digital TV signal will be put on in their locations. In the US, it will be ATSC, so don't buy anything without ATSC support in the US. Correct me if I'm wrong. In Europe, it will be QAM.

Also note that Hauppauge 1600 and 1800 come with built-in MPEG-II encoder. That's a big advantage if you want to watch/record TV and do something at the same time. CPU usage will be low thank to the encoder. I don't really buy into USB stuff, but laptop users have no better choice. Make sure there are support for Media Center, or linux if you use it.

Now if you also use your computer as FM radio........

Comment

Originally posted by Alex98uk

any issues using a PCI-E x1 card? would you consider those ok too?
        "Crunch's First Officer"

Comment

Yea, they should be fine. Post us the one your contemplating buying.

Comment

this is the one I'm looking at: Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116015

it will be going in this mobo, for that Flight sim computer I'm building. OS will be vista home premium x64 oem.

I'm also going to get a card for my computer, but since im on XPx64, I might have to run it with gbpvr, or upgrade to vista premium x64.
            "Crunch's First Officer"

Comment

Originally posted by signa View Post
              this is the one I'm looking at: Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116015

it will be going in this mobo, for that Flight sim computer I'm building. OS will be vista home premium x64 oem.

I'm also going to get a card for my computer, but since im on XPx64, I might have to run it with gbpvr, or upgrade to vista premium x64.
              That TV card would be fine, though the board is kind of old. I've heard that FSX is CPU intensive, so I guess that it's not bad idea to spend less on motherboard and get a REALLY fast quad core.

TV tuner also generates some heat, so it's better to put it some distance away from graphics card.

Comment

thx. I'm gonna quote your reply and put it in the Flight Sim Tech thread, so we can continue the discussion there.
                "Crunch's First Officer"

Comment

Working...
                X