mup.sys startup error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mup.sys startup error

I am running Vista 32bit Ultimate. I had left my computer off for about a week, came home and whooped up on hawkers in TF2, then restarted it to install updates. Upon restart, it brings up a Boot Manager error indicating that the file \Windows\System32\Drivers\mup.sys is causing an error. Some quick googling on my part has shown that could mean about a million things.

I have recently formatted and reinstalled. If I have to do it again, Ubuntu is going on there. I am sick and tired of windows failing. If this is a piece of hardware, I might reconsider.

Any suggestions?

Re: mup.sys startup error

it does seem like first hand impression says it might be an initialisation problem caused by recent update of driver or something.
    mup.sys stands for Multiple UNC Provider which is a networking way to connect to novell servers, so the majority of people will not be needing this file.

now the fix, 2 ways you can do this., first way , repairing the files etc.

start windows from your boot cd and start a fresh install. when it scans for installed windows, it should find the one you already have and you can press r to repair the installation. go through that and all should be good.

second way , and might be easier. disable the mup.sys file. if you connect to novell networks then probably not the best idea, but if you know you dont or you dont know what im on about with a novell network then just disable it
    start windows from your boot cd and press r to go into recovery console
    now type in
    disable Mup.sys
    after thats done , reboot computer.
    should be all good.
    any problems , u can always get me on xfire , thepcdoc.

Comment

Buy a second 160GB HD for $40.

Install Ubuntu on the new small hard drive.

Problem solved.

There was a time when I installed Mandrake and Windows 2000 on the same HD. Finally I had enough that I have to get a floppy and lilo MBR so often, so I get them separated.

Comment

Pop in the OS disk and boot from it and try to use the repair or restore option.

Comment

Alright. I decided to just try replacing mup.sys and see what happened. Some progress was made in that it now shows the error as fvevol.sys which is responsible for bitlocker operations. I was able to pull a clean mup.sys from my home premium laptop, but it does not have bitlocker. Any more suggestions?

Comment

Hmm... I am beginning to think that the raptor drive is beginning to go bad... Is there any way to check that for sure?

I just formatted and clean installed it after a boot disk failure a few weeks ago...

Comment

try these tools for checking western digital hard drives.
              Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) tutorial,tutorials,walk through, help, fixing, fix, fixes, support, repair, advice, patch, bug, patches

Comment

I used the WD tool that they suggested and it came back with about a billion errors. I executed an Advanced RMA, so I should get a new one in 5-7 days. Lovelies. I will update this thread with results.

Comment

Yeah don't make assumptions because it makes an arsehole out of you and umptions.

Comment

Working...
                  X