My Automated Room Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Automated Room Idea

Well, I'm pretty sure this idea has been thought up and has probably been tested or is in development somewhere... the ideas have been thought up from various movies that might feature things like this. Anyway, I got bored and started typing what I might like to see for a future room/house, and how it might work.

---

The Automated Room.

Door
    Finger Print Recognition and Eye Recognition - if owner, will open the door automatically and greet the owner. Can add new people to allow the door to open for them and customize the greeting for them. Door has sensors that count people coming in and out, and records when they come in and out. If you always leave around 9 and come back around 6, it will notice this trend. It will also greet you with the time of the day/month. Wish you happy birthday if it's your birthday, wish you a Merry Xmas, or just remind you to buy shopping every tuesday. Door would slide open and close when you have entered. If the finger/eye recognition has been damaged or the electricity is off there is a hidden key option that uses a combonation of your birthdate and current date to unlock the slide to insert a key. A simple combonation but will help protect against intruders who may not know your birthdate.

Room Lighting
    Each room senses when you walk in/out of the room so will turn on the lighting and off where appropiate. Lighting will be dimmer during the night, unless specified to stay bright. Lighting will not come on if it detects the lighting level is bright enough to not need the lights on. You can specify your settings on the remote controller or the touchscreen computer.

Sounds
    Speakers are set up around the house, so as soon as you enter the house some music will play softly in the background, you can define this to your own playlist, a station or set the computer to generate a mood, i.e. Its Friday, you've just come back from work, the computer will generate some soft classical music to play to help relax you from your work and prepare you for a joyful weekend. However on a Monday morning, when you wake up it may play something more up beat with a higher tempo to try to get you ready for work with a high energy to work. Speakers will only play in the room you are in. Once the TV is turned on the audio from the speakers switchs to the TV instead of the music player.

Cabinets
    You can simply hang up your clothes on the hangers and the computer will calculate what it is, by shape and colour texture. When you need a certain shirt you can say or choose from the types of shirts you have and the colours, it will then scroll through all the clothes and present you with the one you were after, if it isn't the right one you can scroll the next one it has found, or manually scroll through each one. The computer for the clothes will calculate the latest fasion trends from various websites then offer you with a choice of style of clothes that you could wear for the current fashion trend. It will also offer advice on what colours work with what colours, no point wearing a pink tie with a green shirt and blue jacket with jeans if you need to go to a formal business meeting or interview.

Paper Bin
    If you have paper to dispose you can through it into the shredder, it will confirm if you want to really dispose of the paper and will then shred the paper and send it to a storage where you can use the shredded paper for creating fires during the winter. There is also a large bin which will scan the object that has been thrown into it and from various websites, will calculate what the object is, it will read the barcode, calculate the shape, texture colour and if it is magnetic. These properties should be enough to determine where this object should go for recycling.

Windows
    Will detect current temperature inside the room, and outside. If you want the room to be hotter it will close the windows or turn on up the heating/light a fire. If you want it to be colder it will open the window, turn on a fan or turn down the heating/put out the fire. The window blinds will open during the morning, and close at night. You can set when you want them to open/close and you can manually open/close them yourself. The computer will know whether a blind is closed or opened (or half-opened) from its end position to the sensor. So if you set the blinds to open in the morning but you have already opened them, then it will calculate that the blinds are open and do nothing.

Robot
    A Robotic machine will hover your floor and scrub out any wine spills on the carpet or pick up rubbish and put them in the bin, however to prevent things that may not be rubbish from getting thrown away, the machine will use a seperate bin which you can scan through and then verify that everything is junk. You can set the robot to not put anything in the bin and just leave/avoid any junk left on the floor. It will still move the junk and hover underneath then place it back to where it was.

Bed
    Once you wake up and leave your bed to take a shower, the computer will calculate that the bed has not been set and will pick up the cover and reset the bed to the position that you have set it to as default, or you can set it to different options. i.e. for weekends set the bed up so I can easily jump in and pull the cover off when I come home drunk, or for workdays set the bed up and tuck it in to prevent me from pulling off the cover and going back to bed. The computer will calculate when to reset the bed each month, and will remove the covers and sheets then send it to the Robotic machine which will carry the sheets and wash them. It will use the "spare sheets" to reset the bed whilst the other sheets are in the wash.

Bathroom
    When you take off your clothes, and walk into a shower, the water will instantly spray down onto you and will be set to a temperature suitable for you, calculated by the current human temperature and current temperature inside and outside. So if you are hot it will set the water temperature to be slightly colder, but not too much, whereas if you are cold it will set the water temperature to be slightly hotter. When you stand infront of the toilet, it will notice this and lift both seats so you can take a **** easily. If it notices you standing with your back facing it, it will only lift the top lid and leave the bottom lid down. Once you have finished, it will spray clean water up to clean your backside then blow air to dry it. No need for paper. Once you stand up and walk away it will flush the toilet, it will know if it should flush the toilet or not because it will notice if anything has passed into the toilet, whether liquid or solid. Once you go to clean your hands, you can simply hold your hand over the tap system and this will spray some warm water, then spray some liquid soap, then you will have 10 seconds to wipe your hands and lather the soap in then the warm water will spray again until you remove your hands, or after a max of 2 minutes (can set this to whatever you want). Since paper is generally faster to dry hands then blowing air, you will need to manually dry your hands on the paper roll, this roll will be linked into a cleaning system. The paper roll will be rolled through a cleaning system, then rolled around a store system then into the open dry area. Basically once the paper is wet it will scroll itself, the area inside the cleaning system will have a part where it is sprayed with soap, then water, then brushed, then blow dried. Thus cleaning it whilst it goes through this full system, then into the 'storage area' like a tape cassette, only continuous. Bathroom door will close and lock behind you unless you specify that it does not lock/close. It will open when you hover stand next to the door.

Network
    All computers will be linked together and to the main computer via wireless. They will be secured by long encrypted security keys which will change each hour - it will automatically send the new key to the correct computers then change the current password to the new one and the other computers will start using the new passwords. This will help prevent people from trying to access the wireless network.

Other things, kitchen - automated cooking, automated table setting, using the robot to clean up after a meal.

Control
    You can control and set different options from the main computer touchscreen, or you could use the remote (which doesn't have all the options that you can set) or you could just say "Computer Open Windows" or something...

For future development, you could say something like "I want to go snowboarding today" - and it will find your snow gear, and give you the clothes to get dressed into or pack them up into a board bag for you. Or you could ask "Where did I put my keys" and it will calculate that keys = X shape, X weight, and where this may have been placed. It will tell you exactly where it is, if it is wrong it will calculate where you may have put the keys before. For this type of key search it will have to record every movement in the house, and calculate weight of objects that are placed down in certain places. It should be able to calculate weight if a large weight system is placed under the room/house, and it should be able to calculate where the object was placed by movement/heat sensors. Something like keys would be made of metal so would change temperature, but would generally be the same temperature as the human holding it - for some areas of it. So should be able to calculate objects that were the same temperature as the human at a specific time, and calculate if it has changed temperature and by how much...

---

I would type more/add more but have no time, and should really be revising hehe...

I wrote an essay for uni about this kinda thing (home automation, aka Domotics). I'd post it up, but I cba. Interesting researching about it though.

Comment

It shouldn't be too hard... you'd just need to have knowledge of programming, electronics (to wire sensors to resistors to main computers etc) and knowledge of AI....

Comment

Your listed requirements start off easy enough but get tougher as more paragraphs appear. I think that Cabinets, Paper Bin, Bathroom and Bed would be the toughies. Got em thinking though, as all my X-10 junk around the house doesn't approach your needs (but does some stuff).

With all this done for you, you won't need to do anything!

Reference the Zager & Evans song, In the Year 2525:

-----------------------------------------------------
        In the year 2525 - If man is still alive
        If woman can survive, They may find........

In the year 3535 - Ain't gonna need to tell the truth, tell no lies
        Everything you think, do, or say, Is in the pill you took today

In the year 4545 - Ain't gonna need your teeth, won't need your eyes
        You won't find a thing to chew, Nobody's gonna look at you

In the year 5555 -Your arms are hanging limp at your sides
        Your legs got nothing to do, Some machine, doing that for you

In the year 6565 - Ain't gonna need no husband, won't need no wife
        You'll pick your son, pick your daughter too, From the bottom of a long glass tube

In the year 7510 - If God's a comin' he ought to make it by then
        Maybe he'll look around himself and say, ``Guess it's time for the Judgement day''

In the year 8510 - God's gonna shake his mighty head
        He'll either say ``I'm pleased where man has been'', Or tear it down and start again

In the year 9595 - I'm kinda wondering if man's gonna be alive
        He's taken everything this old earth can give, And he ain't put back nothing...

Now it's been 10,000 years, Man has cried a billion tears
        For what he never knew, Now man's reign is through

But through the eternal night, The twinkling of starlight
        So very far away - Maybe it's only yesterday...

In the year 2525, If man is still alive
        If woman can survive, They may find.......

Comment

wow

Comment

Microsoft have something going as far as I remember, called the "smarthome", where most of this stuff is incorporated and shown off at expos and stuff. Well, it was a few years back, I'm not too sure if it's still going. I do know that home automation is set to become a ****ing HUGE business though, and I for one hope to benefit from it

Comment

Originally posted by [280]Mszt.pennywise
              Microsoft have something going as far as I remember, called the "smarthome", where most of this stuff is incorporated and shown off at expos and stuff. Well, it was a few years back, I'm not too sure if it's still going. I do know that home automation is set to become a ****ing HUGE business though, and I for one hope to benefit from it
              As an electrical engineering student, I hope so! (Means more job opportunities for me)

I don't know how I feel about complete automation though, I think I would rather have a sort of control panel in each room (or a wireless unit too) with the ability to control any number of these home functions.

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor[XV]
                As an electrical engineering student, I hope so! (Means more job opportunities for me)
                Har
                Before I even started uni I had the idea of doing something like this as a career. That is, networking houses, offices and other places for automation, all running off a central server (or something similar). Everything could be controlled from one or more (depending on what the customer wanted) remote controls or panels on the wall, and it could control as much or as little as was required (or could be afforded ). It's only now I realise that my uni course really isn't the right thing for this line of work, but I'll just improvise

Comment

Dan must have watched Iron Man this weekend.

His whole workshop and home is automated.

Comment

I haven't even started my actual degree course, but I think I'd rather do something else... :/ I actually kinda wanna do a mixture of courses, part business, part computer, part design, part electrical, part science... o.0 :/

The sensors to calculate what the shape is may be hard to program... but if it used a predefined list, and updates when new shapes are added, it shouldn't be too hard?
                    Maybe have a net compartment which will catch objects dropped into recycle bin, this net would calculate the weight of the object, then would "roll/drop" it into another area with a defined distance to fall, it would know the gravity/speed it falls at, so would calculate the time it is rolled off to the time it hits the next area...

To calculate temperature of human body/outside/inside - well simple kitchen laser thermometers work with calculating how hot someone is, if you created this as a large scale laser to scan a 6 foot man or something, it should work more accurately. It'd be linked to the thermometer outside the house and inside the rooms. So shouldn't be too hard to calculate the temperature of water. It'd use a touch sensor at the bottom of the shower so it knows if someone is standing in the shower.

For the toilet seats - well you could calculate that the shape of the human is generally curved on the front and straight on the back, then has a small bump, for women it would be a little more different, and of course theres the "extreme" obese/skinny... I guess it could just "scan your feet direction" - generally people stand on two feet pointing roughly the same way... however people who may be on a wheelchair or have one leg may have difficulties. So you'd need to also incorprate a sensor for eyes on both sides of the toilet, meaning you'll need to look straight to verify that you want to take a slash, or look to where the mirror might be to verify that you're a woman or need to take a dump.

For the cabinet, each time you put a shirt in it will record that shirt and its characteristics and which hook it uses. So when it scrolls and hides it away it can easily be found by hook number, or colour of shirt or whatever. To calculate the colour, it could take a digital picture, and match the picture up with various other "shapes" untill it finds something similar, it will also calculate the colours, whether it is striped with various colours etc. It can also pick up any text or logos on the shirt, so if you search for "Nike" or "the nike tick logo" - it will show all these shirts. However what if someone has created there own shirt? Well it would realise this and ask for a manual input, a simple name for it or something like "wedding dress." And what if someone hangs it up backwards or its not straight, well each clothing will be blown slightly in various directions to straighten it out, each hook it is held on can rotate (so would need large space for this kind of rotation to occur inside a cabinet) - everything could be stored under the house, or in the loft, where it will use the gaps within the walls to move the clothes around.

The bed would know when someone has left, since it won't weigh so much, however reseting the bed would require robotical arms that come out through the ceiling or wall by the bed.

In my opinion, with the various things I've seen, all of the above should be feasible, although probably won't be widespread untill certain things are invented, like a way to renew energy continuosly by absorbing light or something...

I haven't seen Iron Man yet, to be honest most of the things were based on i, Robot and The Island... I would like to see a robot that helps out and does stuff in the home, but would also like to see an automated voice that wakes you up and opens your shoe drawers with newly polished shoes, and says what you should eat today etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X