Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Sound Issues

Hi there !

I want to share my latest sound issue experience for maybe you have a suitable solution to this major situation.
    About half a year ago I bought a Medusa 5.1 USB Headset with build-in soundchip / card.
    It always worked flawless with PR and everything else.
    Now I bought an all new-machine and after installing Windows, setting up the drivers I finally wanted to check out how BF2 would work.
    So entered the game and played for about 30 minutes or so when this nasty sound issue came up first time best to describe with some kind of distorted squeaky and loud tones. Frames seem to stay stable tho.
    From there on I really tried everything I could think off.
    First I changed to software mode. Then I went on looking for other drivers. After that I messed with hardware acceleration (dxdiag). I even removed my soundcard for I suspected a conflict. Oh and switched USB-Ports.
    All this didnt help at all.
    I already had a talk to ea customer support ( "use nvidia offical display driver" ; "reset your bf2 options" ) and to the manufacturer of my headset. Both couldnt help me any further.
    Maybe you guys can think of something.
    Anyhow I will append my dxdiag and If you should need anything else, say so.

Thank you very much in advance !
    CA

Re: Major Sound Issues

1. If you are using a soundcard with a USB headset, you wasted your money.
    2. Make sure EAX is disabled.
    3. Reinstall drivers for your headset if it came with any.

See if that helps any.

Comment

EAX is disabled.
      I reinstalled those drivers endless times.
      I even found the original chip drivers, which seem to be newer.
      Oh and I did not waste my money, since I only use 5.1 surround headset for FPS and for everything else ( eg. CoH ) I take my speakers.

Comment

You DID waste money... I've got a Medusa Headset 5.1 but its got each individual hookup not USB and thus it takes advantage of the whole sound card and is generating sound via Windows default settings.

Your Chip is now taking over.. you need to check windows default settings and switch over to the headset only but then you will have to watch all apps to set them to use whatever you wish to control sound by (windows default settings or the headset)

I suggest selling that one and getting one like I have.. its about 120$ but its well worth it.

Comment

Okay lets go slow : :shakehead:

I did not waste money since I only use the 5.1 headset for FPS [ = First Person Shooters ]. For everything else I take use of my 5.1 surround system ( speakers ).

Setting up default devices I dont need for there is a handy power switch on my medusa headset. Just switch it off and there is only one sound device left.

Now lets assume I go buy me a all new 5.1 Headset which comes along with 4 jacks for my soundcard. Imagine the mess I'd have to go through just to switch between my speakers and my headset. Thats something that only happens to other people.

Comment

Originally posted by iTekk View Post
            Okay lets go slow : :shakehead:

I did not waste money since I only use the 5.1 headset for FPS [ = First Person Shooters ]. For everything else I take use of my 5.1 surround system ( speakers ).

Setting up default devices I dont need for there is a handy power switch on my medusa headset. Just switch it off and there is only one sound device left.

Now lets assume I go buy me a all new 5.1 Headset which comes along with 4 jacks for my soundcard. Imagine the mess I'd have to go through just to switch between my speakers and my headset. Thats something that only happens to other people.
            yes, you did waste money with a USB headset.. now if you do go out and get a REAL 5.1 headset that comes with the 4 jacks for your sound card you could just turn if off. I know thats all I do on mine as it has a off switch on the cord. So whats so bad about doing that?

The real point I think i'm trying to get across here is that the USB headsets have just like you said the "Sound chip" that takes place of another card. So then you end up with Apps and Windows having both as options and thus causing more problems than its worth.

Comment

You did waste your money because most 5.1 headsets with the individual jacks have some kind of amplifier/router box which allows you to switch the signals when you like, they usually have 5.1 in, 5.1 out, stereo in, stereo out, and the headset's 5.1 out slot as well.

Comment

Originally posted by camperstrike
                You did waste your money because most 5.1 headsets with the individual jacks have some kind of amplifier/router box which allows you to switch the signals when you like, they usually have 5.1 in, 5.1 out, stereo in, stereo out, and the headset's 5.1 out slot as well.
                Wait a second let me get that straight.
                With that you are saying there is no need to crawl behind my PC to switch jacks from my 5.1 surround system to my headset every time I want play ?
                Because if thats true that a) would make my 5.1 Headset obsolete a.1) I would have wasted my money b) I definitely would go and grab a 5.1 headset w/o build-in sound chip.
                To clarify this even more it means I can have attached both, my 5.1 headset as well as my 5.1 speaker system, at the very same time w/o having to switch anything ?

Comment

This is the one I have.. take note of the hookups.. it has a USB hookup but only for power thats it. On the cable about 3feet from the headset it has a on and off switch and adjuster controls for front,rear,center and vibration sound effects.

And yes if you use this one you can just click the off switch and crank up your regular speakers without it going through the headset

Comment

Working...
                  X