CPU Explained

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU Explained

Any average Joe could look at this and try to not get confused, but I, for one, am. This picture lists tigerdirect's (Canada) prices of processors (dont make this a discussion about better website prices).

I am asking for a guide, or a general guideline, that would help me understand these processors and prices better. Some have a higher speed rating, but are wicked cheap. Others are the complete opposite. Then you have the extremes which are insanely priced. Could anyone guide me through this?

Re: CPU Explained

Quite simple.

The highest performing CPUs are at the top, generally. I think the AMD line is self explanatory. The Semprons are budget CPU, the Athlon 64s are single cored CPUs comparable to Pentium 4s, and Athlon 64 x2s are comparable to Pentium Ds.

As for Intels, the Celerons are old CPUs with a weak architecture, and they're just no good (they were made for those on a budget). Clock speed means nothing when comparing different architectures.

You then have the Pentium Ds, dual core Netburst Pentiums (i.e dual core Pentium 4s), which are reasonable. The AMD Athlon 64 line smokes everything so far including these.

We then have the Core 2 Duo line, pretty much notable nowadays. This range is what most people buy into. Self-explanatory, again. The cheaper models may have 2MB of cache as opposed to 4, and they will certainly have lower clock speeds (and CPU multipliers). These can be overclocked from around 3GHz (E6300 on stock air cooling IIRC) to 4GHz (E6600/E6700, very good cooling). These absolutely rape the AMD line to the core.

Next up is the Extreme range. These are built for overclocking & performance. The QX series are quad cored, the X6800 is dual cored. They have unlocked CPU multipliers. Either way, they're a pointless buy unless you're made of money and afraid of overclocking the E6xx series.

Finally, there's the quad core editions of the E6xx series, which are probably the best buy here, equally as overclockable from what I hear.

Comment

Originally posted by camperstrike View Post
      Quite simple.

The highest performing CPUs are at the top, generally. I think the AMD line is self explanatory. The Semprons are budget CPU, the Athlon 64s are single cored CPUs comparable to Pentium 4s, and Athlon 64 x2s are comparable to Pentium Ds.

As for Intels, the Celerons are old CPUs with a weak architecture, and they're just no good (they were made for those on a budget). Clock speed means nothing when comparing different architectures.

You then have the Pentium Ds, dual core Netburst Pentiums (i.e dual core Pentium 4s), which are reasonable. The AMD Athlon 64 line smokes everything so far including these.

We then have the Core 2 Duo line, pretty much notable nowadays. This range is what most people buy into. Self-explanatory, again. The cheaper models may have 2MB of cache as opposed to 4, and they will certainly have lower clock speeds (and CPU multipliers). These can be overclocked from around 3GHz (E6300 on stock air cooling IIRC) to 4GHz (E6600/E6700, very good cooling). These absolutely rape the AMD line to the core.

Next up is the Extreme range. These are built for overclocking & performance. The QX series are quad cored, the X6800 is dual cored. They have unlocked CPU multipliers. Either way, they're a pointless buy unless you're made of money and afraid of overclocking the E6xx series.

Finally, there's the quad core editions of the E6xx series, which are probably the best buy here, equally as overclockable from what I hear.
      Thanks a million, that explained a whole lot!

Another question i have is this "socket" stuff. Wtf is a socket 700 socket 1000bologna on motherboards? What "fits/works/functions" with what cpu?

EDIT: nvm, i figured these out, BUT, can a am2 socket fit in with a socket 775 cpu? are they restricted to only one type?
      and my "PD cpu 3ghz" any good? which one of the above would it typically be? (came with dell)

Comment

A socket is a socket - like a plug. you can't fit a heavy duty high voltage plug (ie washing machine) into a normal 120 household outlet. Otherwords, No.

I'm not sure what you mean by "which one of the above would it typically be?" but a PD is ok.

If it is a S775 PD then you can upgrade to a C2D - but be sure to check what the max FSB is on your current mobo.

Comment

Originally posted by System View Post
          A socket is a socket - like a plug. you can't fit a heavy duty high voltage plug (ie washing machine) into a normal 120 household outlet. Otherwords, No.

I'm not sure what you mean by "which one of the above would it typically be?" but a PD is ok.

If it is a S775 PD then you can upgrade to a C2D - but be sure to check what the max FSB is on your current mobo.
          i was not thinking of upgrading my cpu anytime soon, i was just curious to learn these things. And how can i check my fsb? and what motherboard i have if it has a name?

One last question, where the hell do you guys learn all this stuff?

Comment

Speed is not the only factor in a processors performance. Design is also important so you'll notice some good performing chips with lower speeds. I'd recommend going with an Intel build and the C2 Duo E6750/6600 or higher. The Quad Core E6600 is availalbe for about $300 in the US right now and is also a good choice. AMD does have a few chips that outperform some of the lower C2Duos but I still recommend going with an Intel build because they are leading CPU design currently.
            This chart is nice because it lists the socket/interface specification next to the cpu type. For example: Intel Core 2 Duo (775). 775 is the socket size and you'll want to make sure your motherboard supports it. AMD Athlon 64X2 processors use AM2 motherboards.
            You also need a motherboard that supports the same FSB speed of you CPU.

EDIT: Sorry for the late post. I read performance reviews at websites such as www.extremetech.com and www.tomshardware.com Hardware forums like this one are good for general knowledge.

Comment

Just a point to note, the Pentium 4 E2140/E2160 is a Core 2 Duo by another name, its basically got a reduced cache but in all other regards its identical and overclocks just as well for even less money.

Comment

Also forget the whole Socket thing, if you're going for the best price to performance ratio you're looking at Core 2 and they are all Socket 775 chips, the problem is not all Socket 775 motherboards will runa Core 2. When choosing a motherboard just look for those that specifically say they will work with Core 2.

Comment

Originally posted by UNDIESRULES View Post
                  Just a point to note, the Pentium 4 E2140/E2160 is a Core 2 Duo by another name, its basically got a reduced cache but in all other regards its identical and overclocks just as well for even less money.
                  Do you get Custom PC magazine by any chance?

Comment

Lol bigtime, share the wealth thats what i say

Comment

Working...
                    X