slow internet and lagspikes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slow internet and lagspikes.

:dead: well this is very frustrating, browsing the internet and downloading are very slow. I get lagspikes in games such as bf2 and cs. I used Spyware S and D and found nothing. any other ideas? Im on wireless and the speed is very very unstable, good signal tho. :dead: :dead:

Re: slow internet and lagspikes.

well you just said it,wireless,try to move the router closer.my dad uses wireless with the router 1 foot away and it doesnt lag at all,its all about how far away you are with wireless.

Comment

also scan your computer for viruses, malware, adware.

Comment

My wireless is around 2 metres away, i get a decent ping.

It may also depend on how many people are on the same network as you at the same time, as well as your internet speed in general.

Comment

It also depends on what other electrical appliances are in the same room as the router ie, microwave, radio, tv, all these can affect the wireless functions.

Comment

Wireless connections are highly unreliable. 'nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by camperstrike View Post
              Wireless connections are highly unreliable. 'nuff said.
              Not true, i am on a wireless connection and i have 99% coverage and i never get lagging in any of my online games and i get incredible downloads rates along with pings as low as 15 on most servers.

Wireless was once poor, but as its been growing over the years so has the quality of the hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by =TBS=Tonic View Post
                Not true, i am on a wireless connection and i have 99% coverage and i never get lagging in any of my online games and i get incredible downloads rates along with pings as low as 15 on most servers.

Wireless was once poor, but as its been growing over the years so has the quality of the hardware.
                I agree with you. I have wireless also, and the average amount of problems where it stops working or slows down is about 1 time every 2 weeks. All I have to do then is restart the router, and everything is fine again. It's been very reliable for me.

Comment

It depends on the hardware, I guess. But my Belkin card + 3COM router + 2ft antenna combo was utter trash. The antenna helped compared to the original, but from just 10m away (separate rooms) I would get a permanent connection, but on occasion, utterly ****ty rates (in BF2, this manifests itself as stuttering/lag). Combine that with Vista, and primitive drivers, = :dead:

It's the windows Wireless Zero Configuration service that's to blame, not the connection/hardware. Both on Vista and XP. Unless you use the driver utility, it's a horrid experience. On Vista, at least, I got a solid connection (aside from the aforementioned lag/jerkiness/packet loss). I would ping 150ms to the router, at times.

With a 15m ethernet cable, it's no more. Hit detection noticeably improved too.

By the way, once every 2 weeks is NOT reliable.

Comment

It depends on the hardware, I guess. But my Belkin card + 3COM router + 2ft antenna combo was utter trash. The antenna helped compared to the original, but from just 10m away (separate rooms) I would get a permanent connection, but on occasion, utterly ****ty rates (in BF2, this manifests itself as stuttering/lag). Combine that with Vista, and primitive drivers, = :dead:

It's the windows Wireless Zero Configuration service that's to blame, not the connection/hardware. Both on Vista and XP. Unless you use the driver utility, it's a horrid experience. On Vista, at least, I got a solid connection (aside from the aforementioned lag/jerkiness/packet loss). I would ping 150ms to the router, at times.

With a 15m ethernet cable, it's no more. Hit detection noticeably improved too.

By the way, once every 2 weeks is NOT reliable.
                    Why isn't it? You are making it sound like wireless constantly gives you packet loss and crappy connections. It doesnt. I think that 2 weeks of constant use without restarting is pretty good before something slows down, and it is a 10 second fix. So, I'm happy with my wireless.

Comment

If you want a decent wireless connection in future i suggest you buy Netgear hardware.

Also you will have to manually disable the Wireless Zero Configuration service as if you are using this with 3rd party software it will conflict hence give you disconnects.

Read up about how to setup wireless connections in future.

Comment

If you want a decent wireless connection in future i suggest you buy Netgear hardware.

Also you will have to manually disable the Wireless Zero Configuration service as if you are using this with 3rd party software it will conflict hence give you disconnects.

Read up about how to setup wireless connections in future.
                        Actually, the Wireless Zero service alone causes frequent disconnects, as does 802.11 authentication.

It was set up perfectly, just for reference. Still sucked.

Comment

Originally posted by camperstrike
                          It was set up perfectly, just for reference. Still sucked.
                          Well all i can say is, you had a poor signal or dodgy hardware.

Comment

Most probably interference from elsewhere.

The best thing to do is compare an ethernet connection to the wireless connection.

Comment

Most probably interference from elsewhere.

The best thing to do is compare an ethernet connection to the wireless connection.
                              Thats like comparing a apple to a elephant, they are both completely different.

I already know the answer, the ethernet will be much faster than the wireless even at 100% coverage plus the ethernet is much more safer to browse the web if you don't already have some decent wireless security, but if your in a place where you cant have ethernet and wireless is the only option you try your best to do whatever it takes to get better signal and rate.

Comment

Working...
                              X