upgrade recremendations! plz.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrade recremendations! plz.

i have a stock Dell XPS 410 and i was wondering what should i upgrade on it?

Re: upgrade recremendations! plz.

Ok, well if you are talking about the computer with these specs..

All that I would really upgrade would be the graphics card.

Depending on if it has an agp or pci-e slot, I would upgrade to a x1950 pro if it was agp, or a 8800gts for pci-e.

Comment

Post us your current specs please.

Comment

Ok ill do that right now

Graphics Card: NVIDEA GeForce 7300 LE
        Processor: Intell Core 2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86 Ghz
        Memory (RAM): 1022mb

All i can find for now, were do i go to see my specs?
        Also i have Windows Vista

Thanks for replying!

Comment

Definitely graphics and ram. You should learn to overclock that CPU, it can do 3.0ghz easy.

Comment

So 1Gb more of ram and what graphics card do you recromend?

is the NVIDEA GeForce FX 5200 any good?

Comment

AT LEAST, a 7600gt. AT LEAST....

Comment

thanks much, were can i get the graphics card and ram at?

Comment

Graphics card from ebay is your best bet (2nd hand) and RAM at www.crucial.com

Obviously try and get higher than a 7600gt is possible and use the RAM adviser tool on the crucial site to make sure you get the right stuff.

Comment

Ebay is never a good option for computer parts, not only can you get scammed really easily, anything bought off ebay won't have a warranty so if your card dies you're sol.

Don't buy from crucial either, you'll do better buying ram from a place like newegg.com or zipzoomfly.com

Comment

I suggested ebay as the card he will buy is going to be a budget one and second hand. Thus, warrenty is not as important as price.

And i also suggested Crucial because of the memory compatibility tool found on the site. Its very useful for those who are not experts at computers.

Comment

i bought my old graphics card from ebay, it was fine, boxed and sealed and new!

Comment

Same, i got my 7600gtoc off ebay and it works fine. I'm going to have to upgrade soon.... booo

Comment

i don't really recomend overclocking a stock factory built tower. The intel heatsink is a raging piece of crap. Then overclocking with a dell (most likely a cruddy intel board thats not even available to the consumer, so its made very inexpensively) isn't going to have the options to let you do it in the bios. Then if we're worried about warranties here I'm pretty sure playing in the bios is going to mess up your dell warranty.

Crucial will tell you what kind of memory you'll need. (most likely DDR800) But find out what type of memory, then go to newegg.com Read up online how to add ram. Most likely you'll have 2 open slots. So, you can get 2 1gb sticks, or 2 512mb sticks. But if you have no open slots, then the best you can do is buy 2 1gb sticks or 2 2gb sticks while replacing the 2 512s you have.

Then yes, upgrade the video card to a 7600GT or something along those lines given you have a PCI-Ex16 slot. When you get a chance to get in that computer (WHILE ITS OFF.) read the side of the psu. This is the block looking thing in the top left corner of the case. Look under +12V and make sure it says atleast 18 amps or whatever video card you decide to get, it's recomended power requirements. Some video cards like the 8800s are a lot higher.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMaKaZi KiD View Post
                              So 1Gb more of ram and what graphics card do you recromend?

is the NVIDEA GeForce FX 5200 any good?
                              No, that card is not good, you want something with the 88** moniker, like a $300 Nvidia 8800GTS 320/640, also buy a DDR2 kit 2x1024MB RAM, seeing as you already have Vista, you'll be ready for Crysis in November. All that will run you about $400 though.

Comment

Working...
                              X