939 motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 939 motherboard

Hi,I'm wondering what is the fastest chip I can get for my 939 motherboard.I have a 4000 in it now and I'd like to up grade.I also have a 7800gtx and I wonder if I should get another for SLI .What do you think would a setup like that get me through the next generation of games?

Re: 939 motherboard

The problem with 939 chips is that they are disappearing fast. The fastest is probably a X2 4800+, but good luck finding one. I would not upgrade to SLI or upgrade your CPU. The technology is old and outdated, never mind difficult to find and buy.

If you must do an upgrade a dual core X2 processor is not a horrible choice, but don't spend more than $100-150, it just doesn't make much financial sense. Buy a X2 3800+ and overclock it, or buy an Opteron 165 or 170 and overclock. If you cant overclock don't bother because these processors will be slower than your 4000+ if you leave them at stock speed.

Comment

I got an FX-60 for $139 when tigerdirect had them on sale then overclocked it to 2.95 GHz. I love it. Forget the video card. Upgrade later.

Comment

the FX60 is overpriced massively - if you can overclock a MUCH cheaper Opteron will do the same easily

Comment

Originally posted by Jakg View Post
          the FX60 is overpriced massively - if you can overclock a MUCH cheaper Opteron will do the same easily
          exactly . Go for Opteron 165 Dualcore and Overclock it .

Comment

Thank you for answering,Most advice I got said its probaly not worth it.I was just thinking if for a couple of hundread I could have gotton a big jump I would do a upgrade.I'll wait untill next spring and send it into Falcon for a major upgrade.thanks again,bye.

Comment

If you can find a 4400 X2, it comes with a really good HSF and is basically a 4800 X2 with lower clocks. It has the same cache and everything. I got one and O/Ced it to 4800 specs without looking back.

Comment

in your situation, the 939 family, you have to spend lots of money to upgrade to something noticeably different. A couple hundred isn't going to get you there. You probably wanna upgrade the motherboard to support the C2Duo family. Which means new ram, new processor, new motherboard. Which means 600 dollars or so.

As for your 7800GTX: I had a 7800GT and upgraded to a 7950GT without much of a difference in BF2 performance. But when I went from a 4400+ to a Core 2 Duo E6600, I noticeda huuugggeee difference. I would say performance went up 20-30% easily. So I'd keep your GTX for a while unless you want vista and DX10.

Comment

Working...
                X