Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would an AMD upgrade be cheaper?

Hi,

I'm upgrading my processor from a Celeron D and so I need a new motherboard to go with it. Initially I looked at the Intel path and, by upgrading to a E4400 and compatible motherboard, the total goes to $185.99 (shipping not included). Now before I spend this cash I want to make sure I checked all options and so I want to have a look at what AMD has to offer. Here's the deal:
    • I want a dual-core processor so that I can use FRAPS without FPS hit.
    • The processor must run 1:1 with PC3200 DDR 400 RAM - no bottlenecking or anything.
    • The motherboard must be compatible with DDR 400 RAM.
    • The motherboard must have a AGP slot, a PCI-E slot is nice but optional.
    • The AMD CPU should perform at the same level (or above it) as the E4400.

Thanks everyone.. I would do this myself but AMD's titling for it's processors is so confusing..

Re: Would an AMD upgrade be cheaper?

your Celeron D LGA775 or Socket 478?

Comment

It's a 478 but I'm upgrading my motherboard too

Comment

there are ASRock boards that offer AGP & PCI-e slots,,

Intel version your limited to using one type of ram at a time iirc, its possible to use 2x1GB DDR400 or 2x1GB DDR2 533 but you can use Dual Core & Quad Core CPU's.

AMD's version is Socket 939 (old tech) that will offer the same AGP & PCI-e slots,, the ram allows 4x1GB DDR 400. Socket 939 use's DDR400 Ram whereas Socket AM2 use's DDR2 but i dont think you would find a AM2 version of the board below.
        Buy ASRock 939Dual-VSTA 939 ULi M1695 ATX AMD Motherboard with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

I think (going by CPU comparison charts on Toms Hardware) the closet to the E4400 would be a Athlon 64 X2 4200
        Buy AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ - Athlon 64 X2 Toledo Dual-Core 2.2 GHz Socket 939 89W Processor - ADA4200DAA5CD - Processors - Desktops with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

you would be saving around $30 but you would almost likely have to upgrade again closer to xmas if you plan on playing some of the newer games,,

alternativly you could continue to save until you have enough for a complete overhaul CPU/Mobo/Ram/Gfx

Comment

AMD and upgrade don't belong in the same sentence as of 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by camperstrike View Post
            AMD and upgrade don't belong in the same sentence as of 2006.
            Lol! That cracked me up.:laugh: :laugh:

Comment

Yeah, our simultaneous monopolistic arse-raping by CrapVidia and (lack of)Intel is pretty funny.

Comment

Scinto would I be able to play on high with the 4200+ 7600GT and 2MB DDR 400?

like yeah i know it is old technology but with me money is short when it comes to luxuries for stuff like computers and im always playing current gen games on medium and previous gen games on high.. so when this stuff comes i want to be able to play stuff like BF2, flight simulator x, etc on high. it's gonna be like that for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by x + 95 = 4x - 10 View Post
                  Scinto would I be able to play on high with the 4200+ 7600GT and 2MB DDR 400?
                  You mean 2GB of DDR 400

Comment

i was in the same boat. the cost of dragging my old components into the future was too much. i ebay'd my ddr 400, pentium 4 3.0E (prescott), and ati x800xt AIW and bought into the future, well...sorta.

i bought a very good mobo on sale (p5b-e), a decent set of stock 800mhz 2x1gb memory sticks that will run 5-5-5-15@1066mhz with a tad more juice, and a dirt cheap ($90 in april) pentium d 915, and a completely awesome--for the price--dx9 x1950xt, which is absolutely the fastest mainstream dx9 card on the planet before you get into the ridiculous x1950xtx territory. it also trounces ALL the dx10 cards except for the 88xx and the hd2900xt cards, btw.

now that the q6600 have price-dropped and two more "upgrades" to the 63xx and 64xx c2d lines have been introduced, i've begun scoping chez ebay for a $100 deal on a 64xx/63xx.

i'll get one in a month or two, and be set for solid mid/high-end Crysis gaming. (my comp doesn't break a sweat on BF2 on all high @ 1280x1024).

Back to your particular situation, x2 4200 and 4600's are very, very good cpu's, and because of the stampede towards intel mobo's, you should be able to score a discount on an above-average board.

at this point, i'd say go for an amd build for a budget system that you plan to keep for a few years. if i was building right now from scratch, that's what i'd do--but i'm a budget builder, not an xXXtreeme133tXXxpr0.

Comment

Originally posted by x + 95 = 4x - 10 View Post
                      Scinto would I be able to play on high with the 4200+ 7600GT and 2GB DDR 400?
                      not sure tbh might be between med-high with some tweaking

Comment

ok so mega i sent you a PM already but regarding this ^

what would i need to upgrade from that to be able to run on high

Comment

Nothing, maybe the CPU. That build should handle high pretty well, on resolutions lower than 1280x1024.

Comment

PM'd you. BF2 flies with everything on high, 1280x1024. if i turn everything up on oblivion i can push frames down into the teens, turning off the complex grass and grass shadows keeps it above 30fps, if i go medium on the other shadows and put it at 2xAA i stay above 50fps; in LOTRO i get some of what I suspect is processor lag, but not very often. the xt overclocks fairly well, too. i'm running at 675/1950 with aftermarket cooling.

gamespot (admittedly not the best hardware site in the world) has a run down on budget-oriented performance cards. it's worth a look see for the benchies:
                            In our final installment of the Video Card Roundup, find out which sub-$100 video cards are worth buying.

Comment

well i think ive decided to go with the e4400 because i'll be able to use my AGP graphics card and DDR memory for now and then upgrade to DDR2 and PCI-E later on.. is this a wise decisio? i plan on buying these:

E4400
                              Buy Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 - Core 2 Duo Allendale Dual-Core 2.0 GHz LGA 775 65W Processor - BX80557E4400 with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

mobo

please let me know

Comment

Working...
                              X