Computer Trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Trouble

Okay, so about a month ago I was installing new ram. All went fine, then I started it up and I smelt burning from the ram slots/mobo.

So basically when I press the on button, it turns on but never starts up. If I plug my mouse or keyboard or anything I get no power to them, but my iPod still charges.

Now is this a fried mobo or something with the hard drive or...

thanks.

Re: Computer Trouble

plug it all in, take a side panel off and look at it then turn it on, if none of the fans move it could mean ones burnt out or died, killing whatever component its on, i fried my Gfx card last month, i was cleaning the fan and i accidently removed half the Heat paste on one of the chips. £150 down the f**king drain...

if you cant figure it out take it to a PC shop and ask them to do a component check, or you could by putting parts of it into another system and seeing whats dead, maybe the PSU is dieing, somethings got in there and is messing with the connection.

Comment

I was installing new ram. All went fine
      Apparently not,

I started it up and I smelt burning from the ram slots/mobo.
      which also begs the question,

Okay, so about a month ago
      you're just asking about this now?
      ---------------------------------------------------------------
      Sounds to me like you had one of those new ram sticks in wrong and it caused a short. Probably killed the motherboard, and most likely one or both of the new sticks of ram.

Comment

well it happened, then I went out of town for a while...please if you can post something help besides copying my original post, that would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by ThefT View Post
          well it happened, then I went out of town for a while...please if you can post something help besides copying my original post, that would be great.
          Did you take the stick out that caused the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by minicoop503 View Post
            Did you take the stick out that caused the problem?
            yes, i think its the motherboard, because when I plug my mouse in, it usually turns on red, now it doesnt, it doesnt receive any vga or dvi picture from either mobo or video card.

Comment

Originally posted by ThefT View Post
              yes, i think its the motherboard, because when I plug my mouse in, it usually turns on red, now it doesnt, it doesnt receive any vga or dvi picture from either mobo or video card.
              that burning smell was most likely hope, battered and fried.

on the other hand, have you tried doing a hard reset by unplugging the psu, removing the battery, putting the jumpers on CMOS_WP (or CMOS_CLR, or something to that general effect) for a few minutes, returning the jumper to normal, then trying to fire her up.

if you clear the cmos and still no boot...then it's time to call your mobo mfg and ask for warranty service. tell them the truth, of course...

Comment

Originally posted by megawhompertoo View Post
                that burning smell was most likely hope, battered and fried.

on the other hand, have you tried doing a hard reset by unplugging the psu, removing the battery, putting the jumpers on CMOS_WP (or CMOS_CLR, or something to that general effect) for a few minutes, returning the jumper to normal, then trying to fire her up.

if you clear the cmos and still no boot...then it's time to call your mobo mfg and ask for warranty service. tell them the truth, of course...
                well the board is like 5 years old and costs like 45 on newegg, so it wont be a big deal if that is the only problem...maybe ill take it to best buy and see if they will look at it, but for that they would prolly charge 100 dollars, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by ThefT
                  well the board is like 5 years old and costs like 45 on newegg, so it wont be a big deal if that is the only problem...maybe ill take it to best buy and see if they will look at it, but for that they would prolly charge 100 dollars, lol.
                  off topic, but i would never take anything to bestworstbuy.

Comment

i installed bf2 on my computer and i downloaded the pathes for it upto 1.41. after doing this i decided to play this and it ran perfectly, the second time i tried i came up with an error message of somesort... so i keeped clicking the desktop short cut and eventually with about 10 double clicks later i got in and played fine.the next time i couldent even get in even while i was spamming the shortcut and i couldent get past the error message. i have deleted the caches in my docs>bf2 aswell. and i have uninstalled and reinstalled and still the same problem and i have selected the corrected screen setting and hertz

i am running mad athlon 2.2ghz
                    1gb of ram
                    512 Nvidea en76000gs top silent
                    and dirctx 9.0^

someone plz help me i love this game

^sorry but totally off topic i really need help

Comment

Originally posted by kazer989 View Post
                      i installed bf2 on my computer and i downloaded the pathes for it upto 1.41. after doing this i decided to play this and it ran perfectly, the second time i tried i came up with an error message of somesort... so i keeped clicking the desktop short cut and eventually with about 10 double clicks later i got in and played fine.the next time i couldent even get in even while i was spamming the shortcut and i couldent get past the error message. i have deleted the caches in my docs>bf2 aswell. and i have uninstalled and reinstalled and still the same problem and i have selected the corrected screen setting and hertz

i am running mad athlon 2.2ghz
                      1gb of ram
                      512 Nvidea en76000gs top silent
                      and dirctx 9.0^

someone plz help me i love this game

^sorry but totally off topic i really need help
                      suggest you make a new thread. your problem should be an easy fix.

Comment

Actually take a look at the motherboard. If you smelt burning then their is a good chance you should have some scorch marks somewhere on the board. It may not be obvious but take a close look at the components and see if any look melted or seem to be a funny black colour.

Comment

Working...
                        X