Thoughts about Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts about Upgrades

Well this is going to be hopefull my last thread about my new comp.

Case- Xion III Onyx black
    CPU- q6600
    Gfx - BFG8800 gts 640mb
    PSU - Corsair HX Series 520W Modular
    MB - Asus P5N-E SLI 650i Socket 775 Onboard Audio ATX
    Monitor - Cibox 22" widescreen 1680x1050
    Ram - Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz
    Optics - Samsung SH-S183 SATA 18x DVD±RW/RAM
    HD - Seagate 7200.10 320GB SATAII
    Operating system - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium x64Bit OEM 1PK DVD

All for around £950 when the prices come down for the quad.
    I am wondering is the power supply enough to handle this?
    Is the optical drive fast enough to play dvds without stutering?
    Is 64 bit worth it for this set up?
    Is the motherboard ok for this set up?

Thanks

Re: Thoughts about Upgrades

Case is a matter of taste, everything else looks :yay:

Comment

Are you overclocking?

You'll be pulling quite a few watts with everything stock. Corsair makes the good sha4t, so you might be ok, but if I were you I'd sit down with a pencil and calculate the the exact numbers of amps on the +12v rail you'd need for the cpu and gpu alone, add ~25% (watts) if you plan on doing overclocking, and add another 25% (watts) for the rest of the system.

Quads will make you think you're running a prescott from what I understand.

I've got this and a good fan in preparation while they were on sale:

edit: motherboard is fine unless you ever plan on running SLI.

edit 2: Gawd bless brave, rich people who pay good money beta test Vista. (and that's all i've got to say about that.)

edit 3: optical drive is fine.

Comment

Look at the 206BW 20" widescreen from Samsung. It is the same pixels so it won't "streched". I own one and its great visual quality and for someone who seems interested in watching dvds on his computer, you may want to consider it. Yes, it is a high price too but I think its worth it. If you really want the 22" there is the 226bw too! But that monitor you picked looks nice too.

I'd personally go with a GTX card...

As for your OS, you only need 32 bit. If you are considering of using 3-4 GB or more of ram in the future than go with 64 bit. As for vista, XP is your best bet.

Maybe buy 32bit XP for now and then when the time comes, upgrade to 64bit vista? by then a SP1 should be out to fix everything in vista or the majority of it.

you can also prolly score a nice pair of pc8500 sticks for dirt cheap now. They dropped like half price over 2months, well OCZ has anyways. Again, nothing you need to do its just going the extra mile.

Comment

ok, thanks, do you think future games will need 3-4 gigs of ram because i am building this comp for the long, run and i will go with 64 bit if they will need 3-4gigs

Comment

32bit can take full advantage of 3gig, its only when you go to 4gig and above that you need the x64 os.
            "Crunch's First Officer"
            twitter: @signaprime

Comment

yeah i just remembered that, so i have just saved myself £100
              wait just checked on ebuyer and i have saved a measly £5 actually

Comment

if ur really making this a future rig why not wait for intels new penryn processors?theyll be out in as little as 5 months?adn theyll feature nearly double the transitors on the core 2 duos now and be higher clocked,theyre supposed to be clocked to 3 ghz out of the box.

Comment

nah i cant wait 5 months, till i can actually start to play bf2 again, i have been waiting a year just to save up the cash to buy this rig

Comment

Originally posted by signa View Post
                    32bit can take full advantage of 3gig, its only when you go to 4gig and above that you need the x64 os.
                    I have 4 gbs of ram on a 32 bit OS which technically should be ok. Right now I am only using 2.8 gbs out of 4.

Hence why I stated, 3-4 GB ++, consider 64 bit.

As for answering op's question about 3-4 ++ gb of ram for gaming, right now I hear the bigger games only use 2 gbs tops. You can always keep the window open though for upgrading. The only reason why I went to 4gb is because they've been getting dirt cheap.

Comment

o ok, so 2gigs is fine, and if games are going to get even more ram intensive i can got to 3 gigs

Comment

Originally posted by Topgun View Post
                        o ok, so 2gigs is fine, and if games are going to get even more ram intensive i can got to 3 gigs
                        yep or higher. Prolly better to go to 4 or if you want those 2 gb sticks, you can poor your money into there too.

Comment

ok. Is the case going to be fine to keep all my components cool with stock fans or should o buy a couple of these -> http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/105137 ?

Comment

Originally posted by Topgun View Post
                            ok. Is the case going to be fine to keep all my components cool with stock fans or should o buy a couple of these -> http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/105137 ?
                            I'd personally go with a case that does not have a door. When i bought my first gaming computer my case had a door on it too, and it made my toes tickle - in the beginning. After that it more so just some annoying feature on the case that seemed to always get in the way.

As for cooling, I don't really know but throwing in one more fan can't hurt. My case (Antec 900) has great cooling, and also comes with more fans (3x 120mm + 1x 200mm). My idle temps are 30-32 cpu 28 system 57-60 gpu. Coming out of a game I seen my temps at 40+/30/70 and they rapidily fall back down to normal. So fast, I barely get a chance to read the temps. Maybe that might help you?

Comment

yeah that does help a bit, i was looking at cases on ebuyer but they don't have a great range i think, anyway i found this case -> http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...ct_uid=104832/ What do you think?
                              Also do you know of any good online case stores? I don't want to spend over £50 on a case and i couldn't find and nice looking ones without a door, i personally like having a door, just aslong as it is not a flimsy peice of crap plastic.

Comment

Working...
                              X