Need Help / Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help / Opinions

Well I am about to get a job and decided the first thing I am to get is a new computer. I am thinking my budget will be $1500, here is what I have in mind.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (1) Case - Antec 900 | Alot of complaints about the PSU being on the bottom, causing wiring problems, will I face this problem with my PSU?

(2) PSU - 620HX

(3) Motherboard - ASUS 680i SLI

(4) Processor - C2D E6600 | I hear that the E6700 is just an easy overclockable version of the E6600, is this true?

(5) GFX Card - EVGA 8800GTS 640MB | I figure it is only about 30 dollars more than the 320MB, why not? Haha.

(6) RAM - G.SKILL 2GB DDR2 800 | Now, should I get a 2GB stick or 2 x 1GB sticks?

(7) HD - 320GB Seagate Barracuda | Yay or Nay?

(8) OS - Windows Vista Ultimate System Builders | Should I get the 32 Bit or 62 Bit? I use a 19" Acer Widescreen Res = 1440 x 900.

(9) Drive - Combo Drive
    Total Price = $1446
    With Rebates = $1396
    If you have any comments, please put the number of the item and then say whatever you need to say to help me!

Thanks!

Re: Need Help / Opinions

my thoughts:

I think your spending a little too much for the PSU.
    get a 64bit operating system, your c2d can run that.
    that hdd should work good.
    research your ram as much as possible before you make a choice.

edit: ram: 2x1gig sticks will run in dual channel. that might be a performance advantage, but then your faced with a max of 4 gig if you add more later on.
    "Crunch's First Officer"
    twitter: @signaprime

Comment

I say it's a good PSU for the price. Well built(by SeaSonic), stable rails and enough Amps(50) to go SLi later if you want.

Case: It's nice, but it's getting to be like the Thermaltake Armor, seems like everyone has one or is getting one.

OS: Go with 64 since you're moving to Vista. 32-bit would only limit the amount of memory you could use in the future.

Everything else looks Kool and the Gang to me.

Comment

ok, I have that motherboard, and it is just plain awesome ...you will love it. The E6600 is a great CPU, I still went with E6700, and its overclocked 10%, with stock cooling, and runs at 40 degrees c. For sure the 64 bit OS, and about the ram...your call of course, I went with the 2gig sticks because I wanted to start with 4 (Patriot 2x2, 4gigs total), and I know in the future I will want to be able to upgrade. This way, I still have the two empty slots. Only thing is, I am not sure, if you want to go with 2 gigs, which is better, to go with 2x1, or one 2gig stick..,this is where the research comes in. Nonetheless, great choices, and you are going to love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stillhouse View Post
          I say it's a good PSU for the price. Well built(by SeaSonic), stable rails and enough Amps(50) to go SLi later if you want.
          Yea, i agree the power supply is fine. It is very important to get a decent PSU as getting a crap one either means your rig won't run, or some of the parts may be damaged by the ****e quality. Too many people rely on generic 600W PSU's from ebay which costs £10.

Case: It's nice, but it's getting to be like the Thermaltake Armor, seems like everyone has one or is getting one.
          If everyone has got it, what's the problem? It obviously means its a damn nice
          case. The only thing about the Nine Hundred is that it does suck in a lot of dust, so be prepared to vacuum your comp every fortnight, it can be very loud with fans on high (but i never use high settings) and it can be cramped if you don't have a modular PSU. You will have to trouble reaching wires, trust me.

Processor - C2D E6600 | I hear that the E6700 is just an easy overclockable version of the E6600, is this true?
          That is like the easiest overclock to do with a Core 2 Duo. It can go even further. Check out the OC in my sig! I would also advise you to get a new heatsink fan, as the one that comes from Intel is particularly good. I recommend the following models:

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
          Thermaltake Big Typhoon (whatz i have)
          Coolermaster Gemini
          Zalman CNPS9700 LED
          Tuniq Tower

As for memory, get a 2gb stick, as it will allow greater upgrade options in the future. The graphics card is good, maybe a bit too good at that resolution. You might want to think about the 320mb edition. And only get a 680i board if you know you will be doing SLI. Otherwise get an Intel P965 board such as the gigabyte DS3 or Asus P5B Deluxe. Same performance (if not better), for cheaper.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
          X