Good Computer Not Working Like It Should

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Computer Not Working Like It Should

Hello hello, I pray there is someone out there with the answer. I have had my roommate who is a professional computer tech try to fix my computer and he's had no luck. I don't know what to do. First of all I am not the most pc literate person, I know a bit, but not as much as you guys hopefully do, so bare with me.

Basically, I want my computer to stop lagging during games. I mainly play Battlefield 2 with the setting all the way up. I also periodically play F.E.A.R., Halflife 2, etc.

When I am on a good server and my ping is fine I am stilling lagging. So I know it must be system lag. It is not constant lag, but quite periodic.

I have recently upgraded my computer also thinking that would solve all my problems and make it better than ever. I went out and bought a better processor, motherboard and RAM. As far as I know my original video card is pretty good(ATi Radeon X800XL 512 MB) that I bought about a year and a half ago. anyways, the computer still lags, sometimes more than before.

So, I know there must be a way to make it better, because when I first bought my computer, even with the orginal hardware(which wasn't anything terrible by any means), it ran great. No lag in Battlefield, and I could run F.E.A.R. almost full settings(that games visuals are insane, if you haven't played it, do it now).

So, please help! I haven't the slightest where to start, hopefully you do.

-Tanner

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ 2.21 GHz,
    2.00 GB of RAM,
    ATi Radeon X800XL 512MB video card,
    Abit Fatality Motherboard,
    Windows XP Pro

Re: Good Computer Not Working Like It Should

I beleave the ABIT mobo is an nforce board.

Try uninstalling the nforce drivers updating them and only install the erthenet and smbus drivers not the NAM or firewal crap. As my nforce 4 mobo would lag even thoe my server was right next to me, and that fixed it.

i dont know where ever you reinstalled when setting ur pc back up or formatted. If you just reinstalled do a Full format.

Also set the infinity of the process as theres a bug with AMDs that can cause this

Comment

1) Dump all Cookies, Temp, History, and Temp Internet Files
      2) Check for virus, trojans, Rootkits, and Spyware that might be running on your system
      3)Clean registry with something like RegCleaner
      4) Defrag Hard Drive
      5) Turn off AV and Anti Spyware software before launching BF2
      6) Go into taskmanager or get PrcView to see running processes...turn off everything you can (non-essentual programs)....then launch BF2
      7) Update BIOS and all drivers so everything is current.

Good Luck!!!

Comment

Firstly, do you have the same problem in other games?
        heres a few tips,im assuming youve defragged your HD already-
        a.)reinstall bf2 and repatch to current version
        b.)download and run driver cleaner, clean out all ati related material, and reinstall new drivers. i reccomend XG warcat drivers or omegas, theyre generally better than ati's catalysts
        c.)if none of this helps, then back up your important data onto a external drive and format your comp+reinstall windows.

If formatting doesnt work,i dunno what will.

NZ

Comment

dont format, im sure your computer tech mate has already defraged your harddrive give this a go, go into your "my docoments" folder find BF2 and delete it, this is not deleting the game just a cache folder reopen BF2 enter in your ID and password, reset all your vid and sound settings play a game n see if there is any difference

Comment

Make sure you don't have something like a 5400rpm IDE hard drive. Your other hardware can be the absolute dog's bollocks, but you aint going anywhere quickly with a slow HD.

Comment

un-install the drivers and re-install?

Also, your PC is not amazing (sorry), perhaps your asking to much? my 7950GT + 3 GHz AMD CPU can barely max it all out

Comment

Of course a 7950gt and 3ghz AMD can max out, you nipple...

Comment

Originally posted by Bushkilla187
                  Hello hello, I pray there is someone out there with the answer. I have had my roommate who is a professional computer tech try to fix my computer and he's had no luck. I don't know what to do. First of all I am not the most pc literate person, I know a bit, but not as much as you guys hopefully do, so bare with me.

Basically, I want my computer to stop lagging during games. I mainly play Battlefield 2 with the setting all the way up. I also periodically play F.E.A.R., Halflife 2, etc.

When I am on a good server and my ping is fine I am stilling lagging. So I know it must be system lag. It is not constant lag, but quite periodic.

I have recently upgraded my computer also thinking that would solve all my problems and make it better than ever. I went out and bought a better processor, motherboard and RAM. As far as I know my original video card is pretty good(ATi Radeon X800XL 512 MB) that I bought about a year and a half ago. anyways, the computer still lags, sometimes more than before.

So, I know there must be a way to make it better, because when I first bought my computer, even with the orginal hardware(which wasn't anything terrible by any means), it ran great. No lag in Battlefield, and I could run F.E.A.R. almost full settings(that games visuals are insane, if you haven't played it, do it now).

So, please help! I haven't the slightest where to start, hopefully you do.

-Tanner

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ 2.21 GHz,
                  2.00 GB of RAM,
                  ATi Radeon X800XL 512MB video card,
                  Abit Fatality Motherboard,
                  Windows XP Pro
                  More importantly make sure you have the latest ATI Drivers, and nforce drivers if that board is nforce.

Comment

Thank you for all the help. I'll try these things and see what happens. Keep checking back though, as I may have further questions. Thank you again to all of you who have helped so far though.

Comment

Working...
                    X