Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed on cpu

Hi there,

I am building a new pc soon, and just need a final bit of advice on cpus. There are two that i like but i'm not sure which of the two to get:

The first is a "Intel Core 2 Quad QX6700"

And the other is an "Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800"

As you have probably noticed, the first one is quad core, the second is a duo core. They are also roughly the same price. So which would you get if you were me? I'm looking for the one that will run well with an 8800GTX, and will also be good in the long term. I'm more inclined to get the duo core one, as it's more reliable (apparently), and faster, as pretty much all games don't utilise 4 cores, only two, so the X6800 would be faster.

So if it were up to you, what cpu would you get, duo or quad, and why?

Many thanks, Fergie

Re: Advice needed on cpu

Q6600, cheap and just as fast.

See, you can pay thousands of dollars and get same performance as you get with a couple of hundred.

I would say get a E4300, cheap ram and an affordable MOBO and overclock it to a X6800 or more.

Comment

id buy the quad core. As itll be handy to do more things at once and it is very quick!

Comment

Originally posted by Fergie
        I'm more inclined to get the duo core one, as it's more reliable (apparently), and faster, as pretty much all games don't utilise 4 cores, only two, so the X6800 would be faster.
        more reliable? Thats a bunch of BS, their both as reliable as each other

Any game that uses 2 cores is multi-threaded and will use as many cores as you give it, however atm few games are but its all starting to change

If you have the cash to buy a new quad core when most games are multi-threaded, then get the X6800, but if you plan on using this CPU for any more 9 months get the Q6600 - i know i would!

Comment

Originally posted by Fergie
          So if it were up to you, what cpu would you get, duo or quad, and why?
          The QX6700 and the x6800 are both 'extreme' chips meaning they have unlocked multipliers, which is good if your into serious overclocking. If price isn't a concern, then the quad would be my first choice. If price is a concern, then I would go with a dual core (e66 or 6700) and overclock it and wait for the penryn quad to come out if your really wanting quad. imo the Q6600 and Qx are handicapped with thier separated cores, kind of similar to comparing the pentium D and the core duo / 2 with the 'D' chip having a pretty short market run.
          "Crunch's First Officer"
          twitter: @signaprime

Comment

Originally posted by signa View Post
            imo the Q6600 and Qx are handicapped with thier separated cores, kind of similar to comparing the pentium D and the core duo / 2 with the 'D' chip having a pretty short market run.
            Don't really understand computers that much, could you explain what you mean?

Thanks

Originally posted by Jakg View Post

If you have the cash to buy a new quad core when most games are multi-threaded, then get the X6800
            I always thought the X6800 was a duo core, not quad?? Isn't the QX6700, and QX6800 the quad core ones?

Comment

the X6800 has 2 cores, the Q6400 (unreleased), Q6600, QX6700 & QX6800 are quad cores

I dont know wtf Signa means either, and i know (well i think i do!) a fair bit about PC's

Comment

No one really needs unlocked multipliers today because chipsets can reach +500fsb, and I believe even the most hardcore clockers do not use those. But it'd still be nice though.

Current Quad-cores are actually two dual-cores in the same processor. Is it a good or a bad thing I don't know, but "true" quad cores are on the way, but so far they are not any better.

6600 E or Q, bit will reach just as high clocks as the extreme models in normal use. And X6800 does not exist anymore, it's being replaced by QX6800.

Comment

I would go with the q6600, it's about half the price and will oc just as high as the qx6700.

Comment

Quad core = win.

If anyone is seriously suggesting he lays off half the processing power for a marginal gain in stock performance, you need to lay off the crack.

Comment

i would totally get the quad because games in 1-2 years will require quad. or suggest quad.

Comment

Working...
                      X