8800GTX over heating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8800GTX over heating

When i use my Asus 8800GTX it had a program called SmartDoctor that came with the GPU. This lets you see the GPU temperature etc. Is it just me or does everyone else that have a 8800 always see the GPU temperature like around 70-90 degrees. when not playing its around 70, but when playing a game like Battlefield 2 its very easy to get around 80-90 DC.

I noticed this is because i have another computer with a 7900GT and i turn both on at the same time the 8800 temperature is like around 70-80 and the 7900 temperature is like around 50-60.

Does anyone else who have a 8800 notice this or is it just my fan on the GPU that is broken?

Re: 8800GTX over heating

The 8800's run at higher temperatures, but they can take it: don't worry.

Comment

This thread is in the wrong section buddy.

Sorry I can't help you, but I wish I was a owner of a 88xx card

Comment

Originally posted by Sloi
        The 8800's run at higher temperatures, but they can take it: don't worry.
        Whats your average temperature range?

Comment

Read this. If you're really worried, buy a water cooling kit...

or customize by removing the side of your PC and placing a fan to blow directly on your video card.

Comment

Originally posted by davelisowski
            or customize by removing the side of your PC and placing a fan to blow directly on your video card.
            I don't recommend doing that. You'll just get more dirty things inside your PC and killing the airflow.

Some extra fans can lower the tempature. If you still worry about the tempature, try watercooling.

Comment

Or try the Nvidia forums, they might help more.

Comment

Watercooling seems to be a good way to tackle this.Fan's im not to sure about,Like stated above..could get dust,and all other dirt like fragments in there and screw it up worse.

Comment

i think it's overheating due to the number of posts it is forced to make..

:P

Comment

I have a 8800gtx and let me just tell you right now its over clocked about 15 percent and my temperatureis around 65 degrees celcius idle, under load it jumps to almost 73 or 75. I called my manufacturer, which is xfx, and they said it can reach temperatures over 100 degrees celcius no problem and I think it actually shuts down at 150 or 160 degrees celcius.

That being said the card getting hot here isnt the issue really, but it will raise the ambient temp in your case causing ALL your components to run hotter. I installed a fan (120 mm) over my gtx sucking air out the back of my case. it helped cool my 8800 a few degrees but it really helped cool the over all temp of my case more so. A suction I think is better here vs. a blower (no jokes please) since your whole goal is to stop that heat from affecting your other components vs the 8800 since it can more than handle a temp of over 70 degrees.

hope that helps...

Comment

I thought i had the same problem with my BFG 8800GTX , i called the tech line and the temps that your describe are what i had . The tech siad it was fine don't worry man .

Comment

Originally posted by davelisowski
                        that is one fo the worst things you could do with your computer. it shouldnt even be considered a last resort. it will do more harm than good. i know this for a fact, i;ve done it myself when i first started learning computers and i have seen it done by people whos computers i have fixed.

Comment

you should listen to third-eye, he is absolutely correct, dust kills because dust insulates, blow holes are I find are a lazymans band aid for bad airflow. If you are looking to improve airflow you can mount a second 120mm fan in 3 5 1/4 bays with a fan look up kamabay in any search engine. Secondly I highly recommend enermax enlobal fans, they are absolutly silent and last twice as long normal fans, i replaced the stock fan the kamabay came with with a 120mm enlobal fan.

My system has a ambient temp of 35 degrees celcius, if you guys need help with cooling I'll try to help, but I will say this, if your case has hot air in it thats whats going to blow on your components, you want to move overall volume first, then cool each component second. also change in direction by 90 degres cuts your airflow in half, one other thing, the fan filters you see that come with lian li cases do not cause hardly any airflow obstructions, however the grills on the back and the grills on the front are horibble for air flow, if you can find an alternate means of retaining them in place instead of that sheet of aluminum with holes in it youll increase airflow.

all these things by themselves cool your case by 1 or 2 degrees but when you add it up you get at least a 10 degree reduction of overall temp. individual component cooling will be greatly facilitated. One small note here, alot of people love blowholes on the top of their case, but i find you get alot of noise to come out of this opening, I like my case silent and cool, and i dont like to settle in either dept. youll know when you succeed in having a silent computer when your girlfreind comes over and hits the power button not knowing that the computer was already on, as for cool just check the temp readings, hope that helps.

system specs:

-p5n32-E sli (680i chipset)
                          -E6700 core2 duo (overclocked from 2.66 to 3.0 with 1200 fsb. no reason to buy a e6800 now)
                          -2 gigs of corsair ddr2 1066
                          -8800 Gtx overclocked 15 percent with temps idle:65 under load 70 to 71
                          -Galaxy 1000w power supply ( I dont need a kilowat but gives you very clean, quiet, stable power and you shouldnt skimp on your psu... ever)
                          -lian li pc-b20 case (aluminum with great vga cooler, removed front door for better cooling so it looks like a standard case but that vga cooler is a must for 8800 gtx if you even might run it in sli)
                          -2 500gig seagate baracuda 7200.10 raid 0 configuration
                          -all enlobal fans with exception for zalman cnps 9700 cpu fan (very quiet)

1. get all components in, clean wireing is a must!!!, make sure system runs,
                          2. establish the best cooling solution possible, you might need it later.
                          3. Get your bios settings stable and working correctly,
                          4. begin overclocking your components individually, personaly I find ram a little tricky at times the rest is very easy to do as long as your realistic 15 to 20 percent gains are easily attainable with minimum thermal increase and little impact to component life. as long as heat is under control, this is what I did on my system and hopefully it will help you out too...

Believe it or not, it is really easy to screw up your cooling solution on a setup like this, I have two 120mm fans one on top of the other, because the 8800 gtx in combination with my hard drive cage basicialy partition my case space inside in half horizontaly, this being the case I have to introduce a second fan above the original 120mm case fan with a kama bay 5-1/4 bay fan insert that measures 120mm also, giving a fresh air supply to my cpu and powersupply, for exhaust fans I have my psu fan which I replaced with a 80mm enlobal, IMPORTAN NOTE: if you do this to a galaxy psu, dont mess with the 135mm fan it is fine as is and there is no replacement and it is dead quiet. the 80mm fan has a special 3 pin plug, to use the enlobal fan you will have to transplant that original pin to the enlobal fan, I found the easiest way to do this was cut the wires and saulder the plug in line with the enlobal fan, if you dont feel comfortable doing this any good computer shop will do it for you, make sure you unplug your psu and dont touch the capacitors or you might shock the $ hit out of yourself. an addition to this exhaust fan I have 2 80mm enlobals exhausting and the original 8800gtx ehaust fan which makes for just a slight suction in the case...exactly what you want.

Keep in mind this is a midsize case...why would you want a mid size case you might ask? isnt bigger better? more air in there right? WRONG!!! you only care about the air in there and the more air you have in there the more you have to move meaning youll need more fans for the same effect as a midsize, worry about how much room you need for components. I have only a cm of horizontal clearance from my 8800gtx and my hard drive case, but I measured before I bought my components. but I do have room for 2 8800 gtxs if I should choose to do so.

I didnt mean to get off on a tangeant here but I just wanted to let you know this isnt as simple coming up with a cooling solution as it was 4 years ago, things run hot. Know how much air each fan pushes at which specific rpm, use that calculator, your suction should be about 5 to 10 percent more than your intake. also keep this in mind, 90 degree turn equals a 50 percent reduction in flow, keep your air blowing in one direction, if your intakes are on the front... put them all on the front, then put all your exhaust on the rear, if you have a dead spot up top get a second intake going accross, but keep it going in one direction, if you absolutley have to... then get a blow hole but I know I couldnt personaly look day after day to a testament of my inadequacies of cooling my precious highend system day after day, not to mention the increase of cd rom noise that would escape from that blow hole day, after day, after day, after day. So enjoy and I hope this helps any of you looking to build a new system.

Comment

E-Penis alert.

Comment

Working...
                            X