BF2 Smoother with 2xAA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF2 Smoother with 2xAA?

I just enabled 2x AA in BF2 and noticed more stable FPS, and smoother overall gameplay with most settings at medium.

Before it was alot less stable with no AA.

Will 4x help more?

I thought AA decreases performance?

Is the 2x AA putting my card to work harder leading to better performance?

Re: BF2 Smoother with 2xAA?

I think ATI cards perform better when AA is activated, but to a certain degree. Could be horse**** though, I'm not an expert. Do you have an ATI card?

Comment

What do you mean by "smoother"? Is your frame rate more consistant, or is it just visually you feel the game is more seamless with less interuptions?

Because not using AA vs. putting it to 2xAA should lose you frames. But if your frame rate was already high enough to support 2xAA , and while it may have lowered it (frame rate), it may still be high enough to give both the benefits. 2xAA and an acceptable frame rate.

This could account for your perception that things are "smoother". Possibly not any more smoother running but literally smother looking since AA does smooth edges.

Comment

what do you mean by smoother?

if you mean it runs smoother, than NO!
        but if you mean that is looks smoother yes

Comment

Originally posted by disfigured
          What do you mean by "smoother"? Is your frame rate more consistant, or is it just visually you feel the game is more seamless with less interuptions?

Because not using AA vs. putting it to 2xAA should lose you frames. But if your frame rate was already high enough to support 2xAA , and while it may have lowered it (frame rate), it may still be high enough to give both the benefits. 2xAA and an acceptable frame rate.

This could account for your perception that things are "smoother". Possibly not any more smoother running but literally smother looking since AA does smooth edges.
          Yes, it is more consistant, and not dipping so much, I thought this was weird as AA usually lowers performance.

The gameplay is smoother with less stuttering aswell as blocky textures appear a bit subdued but thats the point anyways of AA.

I have an ATI X1600 256mb with Catalyst 6.8's.

Comment

do you think this will work on a 7300gs because i remember back in bf2 demo i played on medium with 100fps and high with like 30-40 and no im not a lying smacktard :P
            I keep my pc very optimized but for some reason on bf2 full i only get like erm 50fps and it dips alot into the 30s at the start of a game causing stuttering...
            all my settings on low but geometry
            Sorry if i hijacked your thread :P

Comment

I had the same experience with my 7900. I think it ran smoother with 4xAA on as well as looked better...but that might just be me. It's a lot easier to snipe with full draw distance and 4xAA

Comment

Working...
              X