is my PSU causing problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is my PSU causing problems?

I've been getting freezing after a couple hours of playing games and was wondering what the problem may be. After doing some research I think I may have narrowed it down to the power supply, which I knew from the start was the crappiest thing in my self built computer. I couldn't turn down the $46 cool case with 3 fans(1, the side one, LED), a 420W power supply, and two cool glowing eyes on the front.

so I downloaded speedfan to see if my voltages were bad. since I'm not too familiar with the tolerance range for the them I'm going to post them below along with my system specs.

420W raidmax (case's builder) provided PSU
    A bit KN8 Ultra Motherboard
    Athlon 3500+ venice overclocked from 2.2GHz to 2.4GHz(idles at 36c, I'll have to check the load temp but it was around 60C max, I think.)
    A Open Geforce 6600GT at stock speed (Idles at 52, load is about 70C, I think)
    2 GBs corsair Ram (yeah, the valueselect. it works for me)
    7200RPM SATA Samsung 160GB HDD
    Dynex CDRW/DVD-ROM combo drive
    7 Fans in the system include the CPU fan, MB fan, GPU fan, PSU fan and 3, 80mm, case fans (1 side, 2 back)

Voltages according to speedfan (right now at idle):
    V Core A (I guess my CPU): 1.41V
    V Core B (): 2.62V
    +3.3V: 3.33V
    +5V: 5.11V
    +12V: 11.55 - 11.61V
    -12V: -6.93 - -7.01V (goes back and forth)
    -5V: -3.89V - -3.94V
    +5VSB: 5.62V
    VBAT: 3.01V

should I get a new PSU? maybe a 500W incase I want to get a 7900GT down the road? I can run BF on the default high settings and with resolution set to 1024x768 @ 70Hz with no stutter but it freezes, forcing me to manual restart after about 2 hours playing time. what do you guys think?

Re: is my PSU causing problems?

Defualt CPu are never a good idea they usally die in a many months.

Comment

Re: is my PSU causing problems?

I think I'll replace it. I can get a $55 500W PSU from newegg that came with pretty good reviews (got 5 eggs overall).

Comment

Working...
      X