• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.5 Gigs or 2 Gigs?

I'm planning on upgrading my computer to this:

P4 3.00 Ghz
    nVidia GeForce 7900 GT
    1.5 Gigs of RAM

I may order the parts tonight, but, I would like to know if 2G is substantially better than 1.5 Gigs of RAM.

I rarely leave any other programs open while I play games, and the price I save when buying 512mb of RAM rather than 1G is substantial.

(Total price with 512mb of RAM is equal to about $550, whereas with 1G it is $650)

So, is the difference between 1.5 and 2 gigs substantial?

I plan to play a lot of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and a tad Battlefield 2.

Thanks.

Re: 1.5 Gigs or 2 Gigs?

Originally posted by Garabaldi
    (Total price with 512mb of RAM is equal to about $550, whereas with 1G it is $650)

So, is the difference between 1.5 and 2 gigs substantial?

I plan to play a lot of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and a tad Battlefield 2.

Thanks.
    edit. goofed when i read your post the 1st time. 1.5-2.0 probably no difference for the time being.

i dl'd the dark messiah demo last night. it played nicely on all high with my p4 3.0, x800xt AIW, and 2x512 ddr400. it did chug a little when the character did the "stab the guy while he's on the ground" move so I'll probably have to tone down the textures when the game comes out. Source engine rocks, even if the BF2 gameplay is king.

edit 2: if this is you,

then you really need to verify that you have a socket 478 and a MOBO with a PCI-E slot. There REALLY aren't very many of those out there. in fact, there are 4 in the world that i'm aware of:

edit 2: and two of those are the same...and they both are sorta...not good.

Comment

I have a socket 775 motherboard. I know it supports PCI-e 16x, and has 2 open slots for RAM. Apparently I need PC 4300.

Why?

EDIT: I forgot to mention I also need to buy a 550 W Power Supply to support the 7900 GT, whereas I am keeping my old CPU.

Also, do you think with the setup mentioned above..

P4 3.00 GHz
      1.5 Gigs of RAM (PC 4300)
      eVga 7900 GT KO
      550 Watt PSU ( is this adequte for everything mentioned above?: (http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...acture=MUSHKIN )

Will be able to play most current games at high, or will the CPU be too much of a bottleneck?

Just need some reassurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Garabaldi
        I have a socket 775 motherboard. I know it supports PCI-e 16x, and has 2 open slots for RAM. Apparently I need PC 4300.
        Ok. Just making sure. Sounded from the other thread like you thought you had a socket 478 processor, for which the only option is AGP.

But, since you've got an lga775, the sky's the limit. And no, can't think of any reason why a 3.0ghz cpu would bottleneck a 7900gt. The whole thing is going to be hotter (that 3.0 isn't nicknamed preschott for no reason at all), but if your cooling is up to snuff things should be ok.

Make sure you get a decent quality psu.

Games like Oblivion will use every last block of memory available. Windows vista will address larger amounts of memory (+3gb), whereas if you stick with XP you are limited by the amount of memory (a little over 2gb) that windows can utilize.

For now, for $50, it's a toss up. Personally, I'd go with the 2x1 gb so that when I upgraded later with a 2gb stick (total 3gb), I could put the old 1gb into a secondary workstation. But that's assuming you only have 2 slots, and assuming you won't want move to faster memory, and assuming they begin making 2gb pc 4300.

oops. that's a $100 diff. i'd stick with 1.5 for a $100.

Comment

550 PSU?
          WTF check my Set-up i have 300WATT and its only using 250WATT of it.
          7900GT is only 20 watts more power consuming, but mu CPU is Dual Core and therfore more power consuming than ur single core.
          U would be fine with a A-brand 300 WATT PSU.

Comment

i got 4 gig Ftw!

Comment

Take 2 gig's.... I have it, runs good. No lag when rounds begin etc.

Comment

Working...
              X