No announcement yet.

How often should i clean out the comp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often should i clean out the comp?

I have had the comp for a year now and have never cleaned it. I want to know how often shoud i clean out my comp. It gets used every day from say 2 pm till 3 am.

Re: How often should i clean out the comp?

Clean out? You mean: "remove unwanted applications, clear temporary files, etc?" After a year I would completely reinstall Windows as over a year you accumulate so much garbage on your hard drive.

Or - "clean all the dust and crap out of it?" Thats not as much of a biggie, I've got a PC behind me that has been running 24/7 for the last 5 years with no problems (its not a gamer though). If its your gaming rig, its best to give it the odd clean once in a while, too much dust will hurt airflow and probably raise your in-case temperature a little, but its not going to do any harm.

Comment

ok thx for that. i alrdy do the reinstalling of windows once a year.
      BTW i ment the dust.
      Anyway thx for the advice and will clean it out soon. my room seems to get alot of dust especially on the TV.

Comment

Hehe. Yeah I couldnt get which one you referring to. PCs are dust magnets, probably more than any other appliance in a house.

Comment

Every couple of months or so should do it...

Comment

--Moved to Tech Center--

Comment

ok thx for that. i alrdy no how to clean one out so that isnt a problem.

Comment

I'd say two months between cleaning, at the most. I like to clean mine every month. Especially in the winter, since we have a woodstove. If anyone who uses the computer smokes (or you have a smoking woodstove) I'd say clean it more than once a month.

As a general rule, I like to use two months as a base, and then take off half a month for each big source of smoke a person has in the house.

Comment

Originally posted by Neat_Hedgehog
                  I'd say two months between cleaning, at the most. I like to clean mine every month. Especially in the winter, since we have a woodstove. If anyone who uses the computer smokes (or you have a smoking woodstove) I'd say clean it more than once a month.

As a general rule, I like to use two months as a base, and then take off half a month for each big source of smoke a person has in the house.
                  Don't forget to add any pets into the mix as well. Pet hair is as bad or worse than dust.

Comment

Pet hair isn't too big a problem if you have a good case that comes with mesh covers over all the intake fans. I almost never find hairs in my case. Just that nasty, tiny, fine dust.

Oh yeah, it's also good to have a vacuum cleaner running nearby when you get it a shot of compressed air. Keeps the dust from setteling on the bottom of your case, or all over your desk to get sucked back in as soon as the fans rev again.

Comment

Don't forget to add any pets into the mix as well. Pet hair is as bad or worse than dust.
                      Oh man i got 2 dogs in this house. One that doesnt loose hair alot and one that does loose alot and thats the one which is in my room most of th time.
                      Looks like i got some cleaning todo cuz i dont think i got covers to keep out the dog hair.

Comment

Don't forget your own hair! Used to have alot of that in my computer when mine was longer and I started to loose some... Just like alot of men do

Comment

Working...
                        X