Time to build a PC methinks..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to build a PC methinks..

Ok guys I have decided that it is time to build my own badass pc, becausemy home pc is getting old.

I am pretty cluless about what is going on but i have made a start.

Mobo: ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 S939 OEM
    RAM: Twinmos 2Gb PC3200 (400MHz) CL 2.5

Peripherals/monitor/case i will choose later, although suggestions are welcome.

Any suggestions at all, particularly for sound cards/graphics cards (SLI/PCIe?) etc etc would be really helpful for this nooblet

Thanks all!

-Tomcat-

Re: Time to build a PC methinks..

Do you plan to use 2 graphics cards?

Comment

I am unsure - i know that there is no point in doubling up two top-end nVidias becuase i am not going to buy a HUGE monitor - big.....but not that big lol

I am open to all suggestions though.

I will probably go with a single card tho - like a 7800GTX as not many games take advantage of two cards - oh yeah, and its bloody expensive for one, let alone two lol

the mobo, processor and RAM = approx. £650

-Tomcat-

Comment

If you were to get two large screens then two video cards might be an option but have a look at what your going to use it for. Just games? there's not much point games for the next few years at least will work great with a single card.

I asked btw because if your not getting two graphics cards there's no point wasting money on an SLI motherboard, the money could be much better spent towards your actually graphics cards or memory etc.

Comment

No a single screen will do, albeit a large one (hopefully)

so u think a SLI mobo is a bad idea?

i know this is a noob Q but are SLI and PCI mobos different or the same?

-Tomcat-

Edit: oh yeah, it is just going to be for games mainly - what else are PC's for?? lol

Comment

What's your budget?

Do you have any strong feelings on AMD vs. Intel or ATI vs. nVidia?

If you are totally upgrading top to bottom I would at least take a look at the new CPU's from Intel. If you are entertaining even the THOUGHT of SLI I assume your budget is pretty beefy.

I would consider the Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 or 6700 with 4MB of Cache, a nice well featured motherboard will run you a couple hundred bucks, and a couple gigs of nice PC5400 DDR2 another couple hundred bucks.

Then you can get either an ATI 1900 XT or 7900 PCIe video card.

RAID is nice but not really that necessary for the average gamer... a quick 10,000 RPM Raptor hard drive will do you just fine... Get all the power supply you can afford, 550 watts minimum I would say... that way it will last a long time.

These are my basic suggestions.

Comment

The same, SLi is a nVidia technology that allows you to run two PCI cards together, to tell you the truth i think dual graphics cards are over rated you really only need then if you actually require the power dual screens for example.

Going for a non-SLi board will give you no disadvantages than going for an Sli board except that you will only be able to use one video card.

Comment

DFI Motherboard
                Buy DFI INFINITY 975X LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

$249

Corsair RAM (2x 1GB sticks)
                Buy CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-5400c4 with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

$182

Western Digital 10,000 RPM SATA HDD
                Buy Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 1.5Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive Bare Drive with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

$249 (buy more than 1, pay more obviously)

Antec Neopower power supply (Got a perfect 10 score from Maximum PC Magazine, great PSU)
                Buy Antec NeoPower 550 550 W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

$115

Intel Conroe E6600

$339

Intel Conroe E6700

$568 (I'm not convinced the $230 price diff is worth it for .27 GHZ when they are supposed to be amazing overclockers and both have 4MB Cache...)

Ridiculous new Dual GPU Video card from Asus
                Buy ASUS EN7950GX2/2PHT/1G GeForce 7950GX2 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Dual GPU HDCP Video Card with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

$580

Top of the line ATI offering, x1900xt
                Buy GIGABYTE Radeon X1900XT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Lead Free Video Card GV-RX19T512VB-RH with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

$430

That's a basic rundown of SOME of your options... substitute ANY Conroe compatible motherboard in there for the DFI, substitute any AMD AM2 Socket motherboard/CPU combo and the setup will work.

Comment

I do have strongly prefer AMD and nVidia, I dont really like ATi or Intel at all.

I doubt very much I will get SLI, because I am tryin to keep budget down, however, I would like to keep that option open as it doesnt seem that expensive.

What are people's thoughts on the mobo/processor/RAM that I selected in the first post?

Budget - I would like to keep it down, but I dont mind spending the money so long as it is all worth it.

Thanks for all your help so far!

-Tomcat-

Comment

Either a strong AMD 64 or the new Intel Conroe will be an excellent improvement over your current rig if you are anything like me...

My opinion is to go with the Intel Conroe because it will be strong compared to the software that is out there for longer.

Getting a socket 939 would be OK but it's virtually a dead technology that wont see much in the way of future development. If you go AMD, get a socket AM2.

Conroe from intel will last you longer into the future IMHO.

And I'm a huge fan of AMD....

Comment

No need to waste that much money on a 10K RPM 150 gig HD.....the Seagate 7,200 320 gig with Perpendicular Recording Technology is just as fast as the 10K RPM Raptor and it's much cheaper, giving you more money to spend on better cpu/gpu/mobo.....

and don't get the 7950gx2 just yet, Nvidia is having problems with their drivers so it's not the best of choices right now...

Comment

word.

Comment

It would help us out a lot if you set a budget to work with...

Comment

Originally posted by knghtwhosaysni
                            It would help us out a lot if you set a budget to work with...
                            That would be a nice start

Comment

I went pricey based on the fact tat he was even entertaining the thought of SLI...

Say it's 1,000. You can get a HELL of a computer for $1,000 if you manage to re-use peripherals such as hard drives, CD ROMS, monitors, etc...

Case, Power Supply, Motherboard, RAM, CPU, Video card and Soundcard (even though the onboard sound would probably do you fine)...

Comment

Working...
                              X