Network question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network question

I'm a bit of a noob at networking. I wish to know what the difference is between a hub / router/ switch? whats best for a simple network?

Re: Network question

a hub connects alot of pc's together so they can share printers ETC. To gain access with this you have to have a pc on to access the net.

A router is a hub and modem built in but gives access to the net aswell.

a Router is probaly the best way to go for a simple network. As it enables internet and sharing with lots of pcs and is very simple to use.

Comment

sweet i see. already have a cable modem, so a hub would be the way? can u get a hub with ethernet connections?

Comment

A router would be thing to use, and most routers do NOT have a built in modem. I personally have not seen any that do.

Comment

well the netgear DG834GT does as i use it :P

Comment

Hub: A multi-port "jack" for Networks without any Intelligence. Can regenerate a bad signal (from a long cable). Much like a Multi-jack Power cord.
            Its a Layer 1 device and does not need any Configuration

Switch: A multi-port "jack" for Networks with the ability to filter/analyse/compute MAC addresses. Can split the the Network Traffic to reduce Collisions which increases Network Performance.
            Its a Layer 2 device that might need some Configuration such as MAC Address filters.

Router: A Device to connect 2 different Networks that are separated by IP addresses. Can filter/analyse/compute MAC and IP Addresses. Routers have a so-called Address-Table which tell em what IPs are connected with it and what IPs are connected with other routers, what to do with a IP Packet and "in which direction" it should go. Router can communicate with with others Routers to share the Address-Table. May come with a build-in Firewall, Modem and Swtich.
            Its a Layer 3 device that needs some basic Configuration to work and a lot more Configuration if NAT and Firewall is needed. AND THEY ARE NOT SIMPLE TO USE )

The Internet is basically a HUGE pile of Routers with some Servers connected to them. The Internet is not possible without Routers. The failure of one Router in your way to your Internet Target (address/URL) will lead to an alternative Route to make sure you can reach your target anyway. This "route finding" is the most essential function of every Router that makes the whole Internet.

If you do a "tracert", every "hop" is one router that brings you closer to your target.

For more Info about the ISO/OSI Layers click here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model

Comment

Originally posted by knghtwhosaysni
              A router would be thing to use, and most routers do NOT have a built in modem. I personally have not seen any that do.
              they are usually labeled adsl router / wifi router either way there are plenty around

Comment

Working...
              X