Quick Question for 1gb RAM Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Question for 1gb RAM Players

Right before you start up BF2, how much RAM do you have FREE, and what settings do you have BF2 set-up at?

Thanks

Re: Quick Question for 1gb RAM Players

It seems like BF2 really only uses around 700mb or so for me. The thing is I have the settings pritty toned down so I can have high FPS.

Comment

I only play for sport. No leagues for me so I play on medium or high and I still don't experience and graphical lag.

AMD 64 3200
      1BG Mushkin RAM
      Sound Blaster Audigy
      ATI 9800 PRO 128 MB
      120 GB Western Digital IDE 7200 RPM
      80 GB Maxtor IDE 7200 RPM
      80 GB Seagate SATA 7200 RPM
      550 Watt Antec Power Supply
      19" Viewsonic VX922 LCD
      Nostromo N52 Gamepad
      Saitek X45 Flight Controler with Throttle Control

Comment

Battlefield 2 needs about 700-900MB of RAM at start on my Machine, normaly before i start it there is about 900MB free.

AMD 64 3200+ (754)
        1GB Corsiar RAM
        SB Audigy 2 ZS
        MSI FX 5900 XT-i
        960GB Maxtor
        550W Seventeam + 350W Chieftec

Comment

I have about 768mb before I start it up, but im stuttering due to apparent pafefile usage, but when i alt-tabbed out too see while playing bf2, there was 129mbs free, what gives?

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Kris
            I have about 768mb before I start it up, but im stuttering due to apparent pafefile usage, but when i alt-tabbed out too see while playing bf2, there was 129mbs free, what gives?
            So many things can drag the game down. EA/DICE were NOT kidding when they told everyone in the instruction manual to "close out ALL non-essential programs through the Task Manager". Anything running in the background can screw you.

Also, you must make sure that you keep your pc defragged and optimized. There are a plethora of de-fragger programs available for free that are far superior to the one you have in Windows. Google should help find one. Also, there are several free optimizer programs out that will really help clean up everything from registry files to internet cache and even broken or useless programs. Again, Google can help.

Until, and even if, the memory leak issues BF2 has get fixed, it is all up to you to make dang sure BF2 has more than enough RAM to run.

Comment

I have BF2 graphics settings on low except for lighting. A fellow forumite mentioned that muzzle flash is like at 100 watt light bulb (true!). Although things can lag a bit during 64 player games, it is still quite playable.

As I mentioned in another thread defragging made a huge difference in load time (and swapping performance). I use Perfect Disk and am now a "believer".

I have also used msconfig to remove any services that are not absolutely needed. Also, I close all email and web browser windows before I start BF2.

Comment

I can play BF2 on Medium settings with 512 MB of RAM and a ATI Radeon 9550

Comment

While I'm sure RAM has some effect on FPS it's major effect (at least beyond 700MB) is on level load times so that would be a more important benchmark.

Comment

about 200-300mb used before starting bf2 and about 900mb used after loading bf2. using low settings.
                    100+fps most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by -=(86th)=-Skins
                      Thats impossible!

Comment

Originally posted by Stealth Clobber
                        Thats impossible!
                        True....does your game crash because 512 mB is really low

Comment

Originally posted by Stealth Clobber
                          Thats impossible!
                          Notice he didn't say what framerate he gets. "Can play" covers a lot of ground. Medium settings with a 9550 is probably pretty rough. I have a 9700 (mobile) and I run mostly low settings with 1.5 GB RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by -=(86th)=-Skins
                            Yeah. And I can do a quarter mile run in my Geo.

But notice how I didn't say in what time and at what speed, just like how you didnt say at what FPS at what resolution.

Comment

2 gigs of RAM is best for BF2. No start up lag in a game, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X