Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've been out of town, where are the Conroes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been out of town, where are the Conroes?

I just got back last night from a business trip/wedding and I expected to see all these boards full of conroe results threads, it's as if the chip didnt come out.

I managed to find Core 2 Duo's on ZipZoomFly.com but they are all "Back order" last I saw, and newegg.com doesnt seem to have any at all.

What's the deal? I've been out of the loop.

AMD Prices seem to have fallen a decent amount, not what I expected though... is there some delay?

Re: I've been out of town, where are the Conroes?

only one ive seen for sale in UK so far is the E6700 for just under £400

edit; found a E6300 OEM (£140) the E6700 is OEM also, wheres all the availibility

Comment

They are (or were, probably backordered now) at certain US retailers: Mwave, zipzoomfly, tigerdirect, tankguys. But yeah, I also think it's really odd that Newegg doesn't have any up yet.

Comment

so they are out, just very uncommon.... ok.

When will that change? Because I expect another slight AMD price drop when the Conroes really hit the market hard.

Comment

AMD already did their price drop, and at newegg they are just a couple dollars more than AMD's projected prices.

Comment

ahhh I can't find an e6400/6600 anywhere....newegg is supposed to start selling on august 7th which is the "official" release date for retailers, although zipzoomfly and tigerdirect already released them...

Comment

For the volume that Newegg is moving I would expect them to be a couple bucks lower than average... but whatever. The AMD64 4800+ is still more than I want to pay.... Maybe Conroe *IS* in my future.... *shrug*

Comment

i dont see whats thes deal with the duo 2 whats so good about it the ghz speeds are slower than dual cores

Comment

Originally posted by mrpoptart01
                  i dont see whats thes deal with the duo 2 whats so good about it the ghz speeds are slower than dual cores
                  The architecture is much, much more efficient than the Netburst architecture used in the Pentium 4, Pentium D, and Celeron D processors. Ghz isn't everything. Notice how AMD's 3200+ (a 2.0ghz processor) keeps up with a Intel Pentium 4 processor at 3.2ghz?

Comment

Yeah, AMD's claim to gamer-fame was the old bicycle analogy...

If a clock speed is a number of pedal-cranks/minute and a CPU is a bicycle.. the it went like this.

An old Intel P3/P4 was a 10 speed bicycle in first gear. The CPU spins REALLY fast, say...3ghz worth of fast... but for all that effort, it doesnt move very far

An AMD Athlon/A64 is like a 10 speed bicycle in 7th gear. The CPU spins slower, say 2ghz worth of fast... but more actual gains are seen per-crank than a P4.

Well, Conroe is like a bike in 10th gear...

It turns as fast (Ghz) as an A64 but even more effeciently because its a whole new kind of bike...

anyway...

I still don't know what my next upgrade will be..... bleh... indecision

Comment

im just going to go dual core for now and wade it out and watch the conroe prices fall and get it then when it's cheaper.....

Comment

Ah, a pimprig.com user, awesome.

Im BzA over on those boards, but its called PCApex.com now. Anyway, good times, great site for tech stuff.

Comment

yeah it's great there, tomshardware.com is also a good one for hardware and such..

Comment

I used to be into case-modding when in college and PimpRig was the cause of it. I still remember seeing the Caffiene Machine and thinking how amazing that was.

Comment

Originally posted by Consultant01
                              I used to be into case-modding when in college and PimpRig was the cause of it. I still remember seeing the Caffiene Machine and thinking how amazing that was.
                              lol i just read the article on the 'caffeine machine' from PCApex.com

edit; i left you a pm Consultant01 with a link to a pci-e & agp 8x board supporting conroe

Comment

Working...
                              X