X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cpu upgrade

I have an ASUS A7V8X-X motherboard
    an AMD Althlon sp 2400+ cpu @1.99ghz and 1.5 gb ram

I tried to overclock but couldnt even figure out how to get to jumperfree mode 8[ so I was wondering if there are any options for me out there as far as CPU upgrades..

Im fairly confident about installing a cpu as apposed to the motherboard
    I already have a new vid card<agp > on the way but I figure if I can easily get a nice performance boost through a cpu upgrade also Ill take it
    any suggestions?? pls

Re: cpu upgrade

I suggest you buy a new mobo, your asus mobo only takes Socket A processors, and not many of those are running around, If you switch to a mobo with an AM2/LGA 775 socket, you will have many more choices for a better processor....

Comment

Gotta give that a "holler"

Comment

oh snap! he speaks blackinese!

Comment

DOH!!!!!!!!!
          yeah when I saw 3 socket A cpus on new egg i was damn near pissed since i have this literally arriving today or tommorrow to replace my radeon 9550
          Buy XFX GeForce 6800XT 256MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card PVT42KUDE3 with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

I also did manage to increase my FSB abit so now i get 2.12ghz..increasing the multiplyer freaked out bf2 but I got a fairly good boost
          Are there motherboards that support agp and pci-e? ANd if there are what combo of motherboard and cpu would you all reccommend?
          tnks

Comment

You're ina pretty bad situation right now... If you want to upgrade, you really ought to to upgrade to AM2 or Conroe, which would mean a new motherboard, new memory, new CPU, and a new GPU. ASROCK does make some PCIe and AGP boards, but they don't perform as well as a normal board. How much are you willing to spend?

Comment

A slightly lower performing ASRock will still blow the absolute doors off your current setup.

What is your budget?

Comment

Originally posted by knghtwhosaysni
                You're ina pretty bad situation right now... If you want to upgrade, you really ought to to upgrade to AM2 or Conroe, which would mean a new motherboard, new memory, new CPU, and a new GPU. ASROCK does make some PCIe and AGP boards, but they don't perform as well as a normal board. How much are you willing to spend?
                he might be able to keep the Ram depending on the board he gets but it doesnt cost much these days neway, just saves abit

Comment

An ASRock 939Dual motherboard, an AMD64 4200 CPU can be done for less than $250 or so... keep the AGP Video card and the RAM you have now...

Comment

Im willing to spend around 350 bucks or so.. Im not figuring on getting a completly new system till vistas been out at least a year.. or untill Mechwarrior 5 is released 8]
                    I just discovered BF2 2 months ago and Ill be playing this game for a long time. Ive learned how to survive and even get some pretty good scores for a newb with frame rates around 20 online, even before I get the new vid card which should be a very nice improvement. Im also not planning on this for at least a month or so but I would definately like to get a feeling for what people think and learn about whats good
                    I wouldnt mind spending 450 if it would make a substantial improvement.. My 3d mark 05 score is 1553btw
                    ty for the suggestion consultant. looks good

Is this the mboard you suggested?

Comment

Well, in a month prices will change quite a bit and new stuff will be out, so it will be a different situation on what you should get

Comment

Working...
                      X