Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does an lcd monitor make better graphics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does an lcd monitor make better graphics?

hi right now i am playing with just a regular big old glass face monitor i think it's called crt or something like that. i wanted to buy a lcd monitor with a resolution of 1280x1024 will it make my graphics or my overall picture look good?

amd athlon 64 3400+2.2ghz
    1.5 gigs of ram
    ati radeon x1600 pro 512 mb pcie

Re: does an lcd monitor make better graphics?

Moved to Tech Center.

I think that the picture quality on an LCD is MUCH crisper and brighter (and also no glare).

So...it doesn't make your graphics better...but some people prefer the quality of an image displayed on an LCD over CRT.

I used to be a huge CRT fan..until I bought an LCD and saw the difference for myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Talus
      I used to be a huge CRT fan..until I bought an LCD and saw the difference for myself.
      Agreed. Brighter, smoother looking and better representation of colours on DVi (if you can connect via that).

I use a Xerox XA7-19i on 1280x1024@72hz on DVi and it looks so good!

Comment

i am not trying to be contrary here, but it does depend of the monitor

i use a professional grade graphics flat screen crt with bnc connectors and playing bf2 on its srgb colourspace beats hands down my dell 20" ultrasharp dvi tft.

colour representaion is more realistic, not as cartoony/saturated and comparing the two side by side easily tells me that a high end crt beats a high end tft for gaming/graphics, thats why almost exclusively all cad,graphics,gaming,magazine publishers,media,news agencies,video industries use high end crt. and banks offices retail shops use tft for their space saving, aesthetics and workers health considerations.

but dont get me wrong if you didnt compare the two side by side the tiffit would be very nice too.

Comment

a high end crt will show colors betters a decent lcd. however LCD's aren't like they used to be, they are maturing at an incredible rate and will soon overtake crt's in this department.
          If your used to playing at 100hz refresh on a crt and can easily tell the difference between 100hz and 75hz. CRT might be the way to go. if not then LCD is the way to go. New lcd monitors no longer ghost and are being made for gaming purposes. pretty cheap imo also. example
          Buy BenQ 19" SXGA LCD Monitor 6ms, 2ms (GTG) 1280 x 1024 D-Sub, DVI FP93GX with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

I know crt's are better but will never go back :P this is the one i'll be picking up in the next month.

As lcd's get better the more crt's will be phased out. lcd vs. crt is a good argument but it's a dying argument, it's to be expected that crt will not be around much longer.

Comment

Definitly yes!. I bought last week a CWC 19" widescreen to replace my old CRT and it was like a revelation to me when I tried it the first time . The gameplay was noticable smoother, (my old CRT was a bit too slow I guess) and I even can go up to 1440x900 resolution (1280x1028 in BF2). The only negative remark is that 2 pixels on the edge are 'dead' (only showing red) but anyway, a CRT is 'passé' for me

Comment

my lcd monitor is about 1 year old now and not sure about the newer lcd monitors but my has this "trailing effect" where its not htat bad but when stuff moves its a bit blurrier than a crt monitor, but lcd is alot sharper

Comment

that trailing effect is what's known as ghosting. the newest lcd monitors have nearly eliminated it. you probably won't ghost on the newest lcd's, namely that lcd I linked.

Comment

I have been playing with a CRT for about 5 months and i finaly bought a Acer 19" LCD, with a resolution of 1280x1024 and i love it. Dosent make better graphics but like a previous poster said, their is no glare. But mine had 1 bad pixel right in the middle....

HH

Comment

Originally posted by hashhockey[BB]
                    But mine had 1 bad pixel right in the middle....
                    Cool, a monitor with built-in cross-hair
                    This is maybe a good option in the future for monitor-producents: an OSD option to toggle on/off a built-in cross-hair.

Comment

Working...
                    X