New sound card - removing warranty stickers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New sound card - removing warranty stickers

Hello everyone. Now I've had on-board sound for a VERY LONG TIME (if not all my computing life). Recently I have thought about buying a sound card and a 7.1 surround sound system.

I'm thinking about getting the x-Fi Fatal1ty sound card and was wondering if it's worth the improvement from Realtek AC97 onboard sound to this. Obviously it is worth it, but is it worth breaking the warranty stickers for (valid until February 07)? I'd have to break them because they are in the way of me opening the case and putting in my sound card. The stickers are stuck onto the side panel and the back panel, meaning I can't get inside of my computer without ripping them.

Now I don't know if this is legal or what not so please don't go down on me for this. I have recently came across a site that sells what looks like the EXACT SAME warranty sticker that's on the back of my computer which they're selling in a roll of 250 for 18.75 pounds ($33).

They advertise that you can't peel them off without ripping them apart into smaller pieces.

Could I just remove the stickers and place the card in (not doing ANYTHING ELSE) and if something does start to go wrong in the future buy the warranty stickers, take the sound card out and put the stickers back on so I could basically reclaim my warranty.

I can't really see why I am locked out of my OWN computer.

Thanks

Re: New sound card - removing warranty stickers

what are you talking about, why would you rip off warenty stickers??

Comment

Because they are in the way of me opening the case and putting in my sound card. The sticker is stuck onto the side panel and the back panel, meaning I can't get inside of my computer without ripping it.

Gonna edit the main post with this, sorry for not making it clear.

Comment

o ok... you can usually take off both side panels, try that first

Comment

That's the thing, there's 4 stickers, 2 on each side :hmm:

Comment

it looks like you built your comp, so the warenty is just for the case, which i dont think you need to worry about...

Comment

No I didn't build my computer, got it built for me by a company. And I doubt thermaltake will use the warranty sticker of the top listed product in the top listed google search of 'warranty stickers'. And why would I put my own warranty stickers on, providing IF I built the computer myself?

Any other contribution on this? I'm thinking of just removing the warranty stickers, placing the sound card in and if something goes wrong at a later date just buy those stickers, take the sound card out and then put the warranty stickers back on. There's no point in buying them if nothing's going to go wrong.

Comment

i dont know what to tell you, but i would just rip the stickers, because you dont overclock your computer, or test its durability with bricks, than you dont have much to worry about, but then again, if a part breaks, then your screwed

you can do what you want...

actually, if you said they're 2 on each side, then if you take 2 off on 1 side and leave 2 on the other, unless the waranties are for different parts instead of the whole computer

Comment

Originally posted by jhill1
                  but then again, if a part breaks, then your screwed
                  Yeh but I won't be screwed if I bought the stickers off the net, took out the sound card which I would have placed in and put the warranty stickers back on. Thus, this would reclaim my warranty which I would have void if there were no stickers on there.

And also, the warranty is for the whole computer. The stickers are there to stop you entering the computer as the warranty is void if you go inside (as you could break something and the warranty only covers faulty hardware and not me damaging it).

Comment

And what makes you think they wouldn't notice the sound card inside if you did send it back for warranty? Or were/would you remember to pull the card before sending it in?

If it bothers you that much, get the card, save the money for the stickers and take it back to where you got the computer from and let them install the card (and charge you for the install, but it won't void your warranty, or at least shouldn't).

Comment

I would obviously remember to pull the card out before sending it. I would lose more money for the install and sending the computer back via courier (not driving hundreds of miles to install a sound card) than I would with just buying the stickers, which keep in mind I may not even need too.

Comment

I'd say just wrip the stickers off and forget it. I am sure a friend will fix your stuff for free.

Comment

The Fatality version is certaintly not needed, you could save some money and just get the XtremeMusic version. I believe that all the Fatality has over the XtremeMusic is the front panel, which I have been doing fine without, and the 64mb XRam. But I seriously doubt 64mb is going to make any difference in performance, especially when you take into consideration how few games actually use the Xram. Honestly I think BF2 is the only one.

As for the warranty, feh, your plan sounds fine to me. Just don't blame us if you get caught for faking the warranty And of all the Dell computers my family has had, I don't think we have ever used the warranty. One hard drive has failed on us, but that was after the warranty expired

Comment

Working...
                          X