Convincing a guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convincing a guy

On BFGeeks, a Danish Battlefield newssite, I have a discussion going on with a guy about how RAM affects the FPS i Battlefield 2.

The guy says that if you have 512 MB RAM or 2 GB RAM, the FPS will still be the same no matter what.

Then I told him that, if you have 512 MB RAM on a 64 player server in the middle of chaos (artillery) you would probably get an FPS on 15, but if you have 2 GB RAM your FPS would be normal (60 FPS).

Re: Convincing a guy

when you are arguing with him just go all technical about it like tell "more RAM=less sluttering because the textures are loaded better"

Comment

wat about "it depends"

if u r playing all high with mega textures and all this stuff is loaded onto the RAM. if u dont have enuff ram, then it is loaded onto ur harddrive in ur pagefile which is very slow compared to ram, so i guess it would be a lot slower with stuttering everywhere

but if u play all low with 50% view distance then it mite not matter how much ram u have

Comment

BF2 doesnt have mega textures

Comment

you're both right - to an extent
          RAM strictly means that you can access more textures etc. at the same time meaning that you will less graphical lag as new stuff is applied
          Technically the RAM will not affect your FPS but realistically it helps overall make the overall performance smoother with fewer deviations from the mean framerate

Comment

When I upgraded from 1 GB to 2 GB of PC2700, my FPS didn't change.

When I upgraded from 2 GB of PC2700 to 2 GB of PC3200, my FPS didn't change.

My overall smoothness increased dramatically...i.e. no stutter. and THAT is what made all the difference.

Comment

Talus, it hopefully changed your FPS when your were in action, close to artillery etc. Right?

Comment

The reason the game will stutter with only 1gb of RAM and high textures is that it has to use the paging file to load new areas as you move throughout the map. I don't see why artillery would make it any harder for the memory.

Comment

The tests done when BF2 came out measuring 1024mb vs 2048mb ram showed less than a 5fps increase for the 2nd gig.

The second gig is for removing the stuttering when the map first loads, and allover smoothness.

Adding that second gig was never about frames, it was about playability with max textures without needing to fly/drive around the map to load it 100%. 2 gigs loads it all the first time.

Comment

Usually, huge explosions are handled by the CPU,

hes mostly right.

Comment

The average fps will increase with more RAM if your graphich setting s is too high for your system due to less shuttering. Other than that the amount of RAM has nothing to do with the current FPS.
                      Who is right? Me of corse

Comment

Working...
                      X