Burned out my memory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burned out my memory?

I just added some memory to my computer and it burned out (does no longer work). Wasn't sure what the problem was at first but finally came to the conclusion if the new memory. If the new memory is in the computer by it's self it does not work at all, not even a boot, I mean nothing at all on the screen. When this happened I had been playing BF2 in single player mode for about 45 mins. With the old memory alone I have played for longer than that with no problems. Also, I ordered the new memory before I had ever even played BF2 on this computer, assuming I would need it, but I really didn't it ran really well. No, lagging at all.

New Memory: PQI TURBO 512mb Unbuffered DDR 400 PC3200 CL-2.5
    New Memory: PQI TURBO 512mb Unbuffered DDR 400 PC3200 CL-2.5

The new memory with the old, it will boot but not load windows. Saying that there has been a very critical error.

With just the old memory it runs just fine. So, I guess the new is burned out.

Original Memory: PQI 512mb DDR333 2700 CL-2.5
    Original Memory: Apacer 512mb DDR333 2700 CL-2.5
    Mother Board: ASUS A8N5X w/ auto over clocking
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice
    Video Card: XFX Geforce 7600GT 256MB (New)
    Hard Drive SATA: WD 80 gig sata main drive
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster 5.1
    Power Supply: Antec 400w

Well my question is: Does anyone know why this happened? Also, if the game runs fine right now, is there a need to buy new memory yet again? Is there any chance the game will burn out my old memory? Any ideas or suggestions?

Also, I have not yet played online yet, and I do not know if it runs better with more memory.

Re: Burned out my memory?

get memtest and check out your memory, let us know if it passes or fails, it may not be your memory

Comment

Wrong section

Comment

*cough* --Moved to Tech Center-- *cough*

Comment

Yeah, the memory was bad. When it happened I only had one fan installed in the computer other than the CPU fan. The side panel was removed so I didn't think this would be a problem, and I don't know but maybe still it should have worked. Well, I sent the memory bad to get it replaced and it should arrive in a week or so. I also installed a 120mm fan to move more air into the case and also installed (2) 50mm fans over the memory. The memory fans I'm not sure if this was needed or not, I just figured it couldn't hurt.

I did realize that my mother board has auto over clocking and there was (4) different settings, Standard, Optimal, as well as (2) different settings for over clocking. Mine was set to Optimal, and I set it to standard just now. You would think that the memory could keep up with the rest, but I guess not. I also think it’s funny that the old memory is fine, is that because it runs slower and does not get as hot?

Any other suggestions of thing to look at? I do not want to melt anymore memory.

Comment

Working...
          X